The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

So now the DNC changes the debate rules to help Biden? They can now sit and will be asked questions by audience members. So its not actually a debate, its a town hall. Anything to protect Biden. They are doing everything they can to ensure Bernie supporters vote Trump or stay home and I wont blame them one bit. Good job DNC!

• Fire 1

7 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

So now the DNC changes the debate rules to help Biden? They can now sit and will be asked questions by audience members. So its not actually a debate, its a town hall. Anything to protect Biden. They are doing everything they can to ensure Bernie supporters vote Trump or stay home and I wont blame them one bit. Good job DNC!

Not saying you are wrong.  But how would this help Biden more than Sanders?

3 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Not saying you are wrong.  But how would this help Biden more than Sanders?

Because its not a debate format. Bernie does well in debates and is quick on his feet when people attack him and is strong on policy. Biden wont be able to hold his own in a 1 v 1 debate when it comes to his proposals. Plus if youve watched previous debates you will notice how Biden has less speaking time than the others and he kinda disappears towards the latter end of the debates. This format gives him time to rest and not have to face Bernie 1 on 1. Instead it will be a town hall format. 

23 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

Because its not a debate format. Bernie does well in debates and is quick on his feet when people attack him and is strong on policy. Biden wont be able to hold his own in a 1 v 1 debate when it comes to his proposals. Plus if youve watched previous debates you will notice how Biden has less speaking time than the others and he kinda disappears towards the latter end of the debates. This format gives him time to rest and not have to face Bernie 1 on 1. Instead it will be a town hall format. 

Won't these be useful in a town hall versus someone who tends to "ramble"?

I think thoughtful answers and relating to questioners could be a good thing.  I, for one, hate debates that turn into "zingers" and 60 seconds to explain policy.  

I actually think this could help Sanders.  He can discuss his ideas without having to worry about being "quick on his feet".  I think both candidates should welcome this.

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Nice try at walking back. 

The start of your post indicated that you agreed with the previous post. 

I'll put it this way... I don't think Warren staying in was a part of it, but if you think that all the "moderates" dropping out and backing Biden was not a coordinated effort, then I've got some ocean front property out by Burwell to sell you...

• Plus1 1
43 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Honestly, it should be outrage by everyone and not just Sanders supporters.  It's bad to allow audience members to ask questions period in a debate because those members can be planted and that goes against democracy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/25/us/politics/south-carolina-debate-audience.html

Remember in SC when they had $1700 plus debate seats? (see above)  Obviously, very wealthy people in the crowd and it was most definitely NOT very warm to Bernie (they booed him numerous times).

Pretty s#!tty move by the DNC if you ask me.

I fail to see how this is something to be outraged about. 

in both a debate and townhall, the questions are carefully selected. It’s just a matter of who is asking them. 

I hate debates. A least here, the candidates have time to actually answer questions and respond to each other. 

I fail to see how this is a conspiracy against Bernie. Seems like something his supporters just want to use to cry about. 

2 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Count me another one who thinks we've had enough debates. A lot of times they just turn into candidates pivoting to talking points and not answering any questions honestly. I think we could learn more about both candidates getting questions from real voters.

As long as we ensure these are regular people and not a stacked deck like Bloomberg put into that last debate.

• Plus1 1

34 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

I'll put it this way... I don't think Warren staying in was a part of it, but if you think that all the "moderates" dropping out and backing Biden was not a coordinated effort, then I've got some ocean front property out by Burwell to sell you...

I have no doubt the party talked to each one and said, you don’t have a chance or winning, we would like you to drop out. And that’s what both parties have done since the beginning of time. Fake outrage by Republicans and Bernie supporters is pathetic. 

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I have no doubt the party talked to each one and said, you don’t have a chance or winning, we would like you to drop out. And that’s what both parties have done since the beginning of time. Fake outrage by Republicans and Bernie supporters is pathetic. 

Fake outrage is lame, I agree (of course, most of the outrage for all this stuff is fake) but it is funny to see one side complain about how corrupt everything...until now.

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

We'd be in a better place today as a country if Cruz and Rubio and Kasich and Fiorina and Christie and Jeb! and whoever else had banded together to be honest about the dangers of a Trump presidency. 

Instead they all stayed in too long fighting each other rather than confronting him together and any of them still in government became subservient to him.

• Plus1 1