The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

20 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Well, lets see...the middle east has been in turmoil and fighting for 6,000 years...so pretty sure it doesn't matter who is in charge of that.

And isn't unemployment super low?

You have a point.

Pretty depressing, but it's a point. 

I believe Donald Trump also appointed non-relatives to head agencies where they had little to no experience beyond a demonstrated opposition to the agency itself. 

1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

You have a point.

Pretty depressing, but it's a point. 

I believe Donald Trump also appointed non-relatives to head agencies where they had little to no experience beyond a demonstrated opposition to the agency itself. 

I guess I look at it like this...I would do the same stuff.  I would appoint people that I either liked and thought could do a good job...people that I trusted and thought could do a good job...or relatives and often with family we have blind spots.

I don't think it is some evil corrupt thing.  I think Biden was looking out for his kid and found him a sweet a$$ gig.  Good for him.  Shoot I wish my old man could have found me an 80k a month gig.

10 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It was a team effort against Trump. The Kochs and Sheldon Adelson's of the world all had their candidate, and it wasn't Trump. The RNC did not want Trump. Rupert Murdoch did not want Trump, and when Fox News hosted the debate, it was designed to take Trump out. Remember the very first question? "Will you agree right here to support whatever Republican wins the nomination?" Every GOP candidate says yes. Except Trump. By flushing out Trump's lack of party loyalty -- especially in the face of Hillary Clinton -- they thought he would be marginalized and his early lead in the polls would plummet. But Trump supporters actually appreciated the candor. Being the outsider was his biggest appeal. 

Subsequent debates featured more attacks on Donald Trump than on Hillary Clinton. Jeb! got out surprisingly early. Nobody else had any independent traction save for Cruz. The field had been cleared with enough time for Kasich to step in and rally 100% of the Republican moderates, but it turns out there weren't that many. 

Much of what you said in the first paragraph is true. The Republican base has been conditioned to want an unorthodox outsider who makes extreme, unkeepable promises to his own base because they were tired of past candidates making those promises and not following through. My belief is that the this dates back several decades, probably back to Goldwater,  the original uncompromising conservative who couldn't actually get elected. Decades of being promised what they wanted to hear and having their leaders not follow through culminated in Trump.

But I guess I disagree on the vigor with which we saw the field turn on Trump. It was too little, too late. The base was definitely had a predisposed magnetism toward Trump but I would've liked to see what something like a Cruz/Kasich or Cruz/Rubio unity ticket could have accomplished. Don't know if it would have been enough but I wish we found out. At almost every step along the way, the GOP offered inadequate responses to the demagogue populist taking over their party because they were paralyzed by fear of him.

9 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I guess I look at it like this...I would do the same stuff.  I would appoint people that I either liked and thought could do a good job...people that I trusted and thought could do a good job...or relatives and often with family we have blind spots.

I don't think it is some evil corrupt thing.  I think Biden was looking out for his kid and found him a sweet a$$ gig.  Good for him.  Shoot I wish my old man could have found me an 80k a month gig.

Joe Biden didn't do anything to get Hunter the job in Ukraine.....

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Biden did not direct his son to take this job. If anything he should've told him not to take it so we weren't having this discussion. But let's put it this way:

Hunter BIden took a job with a foreign company for which he had no qualifications.

Jared and Ivanka are in charge of U.S. policy, for which they are not qualified, like most Trump appointees. They frequently travel around the world as diplomats representing us. Don Jr. had the RNC buy his book in bulk to artificially inflate sales so it could be a bestseller. 

It's hard to compare the grift between these two. Namely, the Trumps are doing things that affect everyone, represent everyone and they're doing it on our dime.

• Plus1 1

57 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Much of what you said in the first paragraph is true. The Republican base has been conditioned to want an unorthodox outsider who makes extreme, unkeepable promises to his own base because they were tired of past candidates making those promises and not following through. My belief is that the this dates back several decades, probably back to Goldwater,  the original uncompromising conservative who couldn't actually get elected. Decades of being promised what they wanted to hear and having their leaders not follow through culminated in Trump.

But I guess I disagree on the vigor with which we saw the field turn on Trump. It was too little, too late. The base was definitely had a predisposed magnetism toward Trump but I would've liked to see what something like a Cruz/Kasich or Cruz/Rubio unity ticket could have accomplished. Don't know if it would have been enough but I wish we found out. At almost every step along the way, the GOP offered inadequate responses to the demagogue populist taking over their party because they were paralyzed by fear of him.

I think it's an interesting parallel to this year. I don't think anyone was initially afraid of Trump. He was a TV celebrity, a bit of a joke, and long rumored to have been using his Presidential run to use as leverage in contract negotiations with NBC for Celebrity Apprentice. 

He was always going to fade or pull out. I think the Party and the pundits were just waiting for one of the other Republicans to get some separation, but it never came. There was no obvious alternative or collusion strategy --- few considered Ted Cruz much of an upgrade. 

If Joe Biden hadn't convincingly won South Carolina, the Democrats would be in the same position: stuck with an anti-party candidate that threatens the general election, the down tickets, and control of the party itself. And maybe, just maybe, that doomed candidate could win. Because neither party understands its own voters. 

6 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I have no doubt the party talked to each one and said, you don’t have a chance or winning, we would like you to drop out. And that’s what both parties have done since the beginning of time. Fake outrage by Republicans and Bernie supporters is pathetic. 

I never said it was wrong LOL. It was smart if their objective was to stop Bernie from getting the nomination, even if it meant backing a human corpse LOL 

4 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

Biden did not direct his son to take this job. If anything he should've told him not to take it so we weren't having this discussion. But let's put it this way:

Hunter BIden took a job with a foreign company for which he had no qualifications.

Jared and Ivanka are in charge of U.S. policy, for which they are not qualified, like most Trump appointees. They frequently travel around the world as diplomats representing us. Don Jr. had the RNC buy his book in bulk to artificially inflate sales so it could be a bestseller. 

It's hard to compare the grift between these two. Namely, the Trumps are doing things that affect everyone, represent everyone and they're doing it on our dime.

Dude, I like most of your posts and I think you are totally normal compared to most that post here...but think about this for a minute.

You are a regular guy (not an insult), I bet you talk to your parents (assuming they are alive and you have a relationship with them) about  things like a lawnmower purchase, car purchase, where to have a family members Bday party...

Right?

Now...you really think that Joe and his son didn't talk about this 80k a month job?  You think a father was not looking out for his son?  You think him being VP had nothing to do with it?  You think there was zero chance that Hunter called his Dad...and they were shooting the s#!t and then talked about this job and Joe said "Hey, it is a good one, take it"

Come on.

Again...NONE OF THIS IS BAD.  We would all do it for our kids and our parents would all do it for us.  Nepotism doesn't have to be evil.

There is a huge difference between someone asking a buddy to hire their son in they’re local business to get them started .....and what Trump has done. 

Trump has systematically put his kids in political positions where there is NOTHING they are doing for the country. They are there to make deals for the family out the back door of the Whitehouse. They are in positions where the intelligence agencies made it clear they are vulnerable for foreign influence that negatively affects all the rest of us. Daddy steps in and forces the issue anyway....because he benefits financially too. 

@teachercd if you would do this, I would advocate for you to be thrown in jail too. 

It’s mind boggling that 40% of the country isn’t even questioning this. 

And, for the record, I support an investigation into the Biden’s as long as it includes the Trump kids too. 

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

There is a huge difference between someone asking a buddy to hire their son in they’re local business to get them started .....and what Trump has done. 

Trump has systematically put his kids in political positions where there is NOTHING they are doing for the country. They are there to make deals for the family out the back door of the Whitehouse. They are in positions where the intelligence agencies made it clear they are vulnerable for foreign influence that negatively affects all the rest of us. Daddy steps in and forces the issue anyway....because he benefits financially too. 

@teachercd if you would do this, I would advocate for you to be thrown in jail too. 

It’s mind boggling that 40% of the country isn’t even questioning this. 

And, for the record, I support an investigation into the Biden’s as long as it includes the Trump kids too. 

Bro...I could not handle prison!!!  I am way too handsome!  

Also...are you comparing that Ukraine Oil gig (80K a month) to some local business?  Or are you just saying that you agree that Joe helped his son get that gig?

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
6 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Bro...I could not handle prison!!!  I am way too handsome!  

Also...are you comparing that Ukraine Oil gig (80K a month) to some local business?  Or are you just saying that you agree that Joe helped his son get that gig?

I have no clue if Joe helped his kid. There’s also a chance that even if he did, no crime was committed. 

But, there is a huge difference with the normal parents helping kids and what Trump is doing in plain sight.