The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

15 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

I think you missed the point. The point is, the wall is not racist... and like I said, the viability of it is a separate discussion

a wall is a wall. walls can't be racist. walls can be external manifestations of the racist rhetoric and xenophobia of someone appealing to their base, though. someone found/admitting guilty of not letting black people rent their property two separate times in the past. 

nobody suddenly decided or realized trump is racist because of the wall or because of illegal immigration. you're the one missing the point by framing that as the reason that suddenly "it" is racist. try something a little more intellectually honest.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Landlord said:

a wall is a wall. walls can't be racist. walls can be external manifestations of the racist rhetoric and xenophobia of someone appealing to their base, though. someone found/admitting guilty of not letting black people rent their property two separate times in the past. 

nobody suddenly decided or realized trump is racist because of the wall or because of illegal immigration. you're the one missing the point by framing that as the reason that suddenly "it" is racist. try something a little more intellectually honest.

The wall was specifically referenced - I didn't bring it up... 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, ActualCornHusker said:

The wall was specifically referenced - I didn't bring it up... 

The wall wasn't referenced as being racist itself. Illegal immigration on the other hand wasn't referenced, and you did bring it up.

You also seem to scoff at the idea of white supremacists in positions of power in our government. Stephen Miller has been called a white supremacist by the person his leaked emails were to, who he helped radicalize. He worked for Breitbart when Bannon admitted it was an alt right platform. We have his emails promoting white nationalist books and articles. He was the or one of the driving force(s) behind family separations, the muslim travel ban, and a rule that would punish legal immigrants for using public benefits. 

If that's not white supremacy, then what is?

Oh, there was also a White House analyst Ian Smith who'd had frequent cooperative/supportive email contact with white supremacists/alt-right leaders Richard Spencer and Jared Taylor among others.

• Plus1 3

The wall is a gigantic monument to racism. I'm not against border barriers, but convincing your base you need a wall that spans the length of the border to keep people safe from illegal immigrants AND you're going to make your neighbor country pay for it is a moronic lie built on xenophobia and anti-immigrant sentiment in the party. 

If we want to reduce illegal immigration, by all means, let's talk about real immigration reform. But it's not about that for the GOP. It's a giant carrot on a stick they can use on their voters because they've slowly morphed into people who want the most cruel, hardline solutions possible. That it's a huge waste of resources that screws up the environment and doesn't even work is beside the point. The cruelty is the point.

Rough night for Bernie. I thought Biden gave a pretty good general election speech tonight focused squarely on Trump. I hope he can find a way to bring Sanders into the fold and put him in charge of youth turnout. The left wing of the party are a real force and we'll need them on board however possible moving forward. They should definitely have some say on the platform, they've earned it.

• Plus1 1

8 hours ago, ActualCornHusker said:

I think you missed the point. The point is, the wall is not racist... and like I said, the viability of it is a separate discussion

You're right.  The wall isn't racist.  It's a wall.  I'm sitting in a room surrounded by four walls.  They aren't racist either.

The issue is that the support for the wall was 1000% built on racism.  The entire movement under Trump has been racist motivated.  Why do you think David Duke, the KKK and the Neo Nazis have celebrated in the streets over his election?  Why does he have people like Steve Bannon and others in his administration that are openly white supremists?  Everyone (including Trump) knows this wall is a big hoax.  No way does it keep those brown people out.  The ONLY reason why Trump is pushing for it is to keep the aforementioned people supporting him.  Because.....that's a major part of his base.

Deporting illegal immigrants isn't racist either.  It's part of running a country.  However, mass deportation of certain people while refusing to fix immigration policies because you don't want them in your country....is racist.  That's what we have seen for way too long in this country.

I do find it funny that Trump tries claiming that Obama and the Democrats want open borders and hate America and they are all for letting violent criminal illegals out on the streets. Meanwhile, deportations increased under Obama and a lot of that was by deporting illegals that committed crimes.

• Plus1 3
7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

You're right.  The wall isn't racist.  It's a wall.  I'm sitting in a room surrounded by four walls.  They aren't racist either.

The issue is that the support for the wall was 1000% built on racism.  The entire movement under Trump has been racist motivated.  Why do you think David Duke, the KKK and the Neo Nazis have celebrated in the streets over his election?  Why does he have people like Steve Bannon and others in his administration that are openly white supremists?  Everyone (including Trump) knows this wall is a big hoax.  No way does it keep those brown people out.  The ONLY reason why Trump is pushing for it is to keep the aforementioned people supporting him.  Because.....that's a major part of his base.

Deporting illegal immigrants isn't racist either.  It's part of running a country.  However, mass deportation of certain people while refusing to fix immigration policies because you don't want them in your country....is racist.  That's what we have seen for way too long in this country.

I do find it funny that Trump tries claiming that Obama and the Democrats want open borders and hate America and they are all for letting violent criminal illegals out on the streets. Meanwhile, deportations increased under Obama and a lot of that was by deporting illegals that committed crimes.

Agree 100% with your last paragraph