The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

4 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Bernie over here being right. The days of old politics are dying with the Boomers. And Boomer policies have us with this mess in Washington. Listen to the new ideas.

He's right, and he's done a good job of getting the next generation to support him and his ideas.  Where he is failing (as is everyone else), is getting them to go out to vote.  The next generation has no desire to wait in lines, or be "inconvenienced" to go somewhere and vote.   There will need to be a paradigm shift in voting methodology to draw younger voters.  I'm not smart enough to know how to get that done, but a change needs to be made where it's easy, reliable and accessible for all demographics.  The fact that it is not, is hurting Bernie, and all other candidates who inspire the young generation.

1 minute ago, sho said:

He's right, and he's done a good job of getting the next generation to support him and his ideas.  Where he is failing (as is everyone else), is getting them to go out to vote.  The next generation has no desire to wait in lines, or be "inconvenienced" to go somewhere and vote.   There will need to be a paradigm shift in voting methodology to draw younger voters.  I'm not smart enough to know how to get that done, but a change needs to be made where it's easy, reliable and accessible for all demographics.  The fact that it is not, is hurting Bernie, and all other candidates who inspire the young generation.

I really don't think Bernie is losing because kids don't want to be inconvenienced by voting. But it's always in fashion to blame young people and portray them as lazy and entitled isn't it? 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, sho said:

I have long felt that in a Presidential election year all HS seniors (regardless of age) should have to take a "voting class" not a class that tells them who to vote for but a class where they get to learn about the topics and watch debates and different news stations and crap...then they get to actually vote, at their school.  THEY DON'T HAVE TO VOTE...but they can if they want...right in the school.

• Plus1 1

I saw some numbers that voters age 18-29 only represented 13% of the people who voted thus far, but I've never seen if that's 13% of the eligible voters that age, or 13% of the population as a whole. Because if it's the latter, that generation came out in respectable numbers.

1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

I really don't think Bernie is losing because kids don't want to be inconvenienced by voting. But it's always in fashion to blame young people and portray them as lazy and entitled isn't it? 

I can tell you multiple first hand stories from my nieces and nephews and their friends and their habits.   They have robo-called, from their cellphones, from their bedrooms.   They have sent text messages to support their candidate.  They have watched the debates, when it came time to go vote, they all said "no thanks I don't want to go all the way over there (3 miles away) and wait in line (20 minute wait)".  That was too much of an inconvenience for them, their friends felt the same way.   Hell, I thought that same thing 20 years ago when I was first able to vote.  It's not a new problem, it's problem that is not being remedied. 

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, sho said:

I can tell you multiple first hand stories from my nieces and nephews and their friends and their habits.   They have robo-called, from their cellphones, from their bedrooms.   They have sent text messages to support their candidate.  They have watched the debates, when it came time to go vote, they all said "no thanks I don't want to go all the way over there (3 miles away) and wait in line (20 minute wait)".  That was too much of an inconvenience for them, their friends felt the same way.   Hell, I thought that same thing 20 years ago when I was first able to vote.  It's not a new problem, it's problem that is not being remedied. 

That's funny because I can tell you multiple first hand stories of my friends organizing large groups of young people to go vote. Anectodal evidence can go both ways. I'd be interested in seeing actual statistics on this 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

That's funny because I can tell you multiple first hand stories of my friends organizing large groups of young people to go vote. Anectodal evidence can go both ways. I'd be interested in seeing actual statistics on this 

Dollars to donuts you and your friends are in the minority when it comes to the actual voting part.

1 minute ago, sho said:

Dollars to donuts you and your friends are in the minority when it comes to the actual voting part.

Maybe so but all I know is I went with a group of around 30 young people to vote in MS last night and know people who gathered a group of nearly 100 in KC. That's a small sample size so maybe you are right but that hasn't been my experience 

5 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Maybe so but all I know is I went with a group of around 30 young people to vote in MS last night and know people who gathered a group of nearly 100 in KC. That's a small sample size so maybe you are right but that hasn't been my experience 

That's awesome!   I'm hoping there will be more interest in this general, but based on what I heard during primaries from their friends on the dirty side of the river, I'm not optimistic. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

The left doesn't owe Joe Biden anything. But if you contribute to four more years of Trump, you're a bad person.

Continuing to be willing to be suckered into participating in a system that only gives us bad options which don't serve our interests is what contributed to Trump getting elected in the first place. 

So no, conscientious objectors who refuse to vote for a self-serving Democratic corporatist over a self-serving Republican corporatist are not bad people. They're trying not to contribute to the larger scale picture which made Trump's populist propaganda resonate from the start.

• Plus1 2
14 minutes ago, sho said:

The 18-29 group had between 20%-25% turnout from 1974-2012 - it fluctuated up and down but remained in that range. One of best election turnouts for young people was 2018 midterms when 36% of that range voted. You're right when you say its not a new problem -  Bernie didn't provide the motivation for that group to go out and vote like many had anticipated. 

1 minute ago, Landlord said:

Continuing to be willing to be suckered into participating in a system that only gives us bad options which don't serve our interests is what contributed to Trump getting elected in the first place. 

So no, conscientious objectors who refuse to vote for a self-serving Democratic corporatist over a self-serving Republican corporatist are not bad people. They're trying not to contribute to the larger scale picture which made Trump's populist propaganda resonate from the start.

How does any of this get Trump out of office in November?