The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

Just now, knapplc said:

OR... and hear me out here, because this is a crazy, crazy idea...

Maybe Dem or Dem-leaning people who support Bernie could see that Biden is the lesser of two evils and not require convincing to vote out the worst president in the last 100 years?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

OR... and hear me out here, maybe a candidate running for President should actually campaign to win votes instead of ignoring a group of voters and assuming they'll just vote in the candidate's favor. It's not like we just did that experiment 4 years ago... wait...

• Plus1 1

Just now, RedDenver said:

OR... and hear me out here, maybe a candidate running for President should actually campaign to win votes instead of ignoring a group of voters and assuming they'll just vote in the candidate's favor. It's not like we just did that experiment 4 years ago... wait...

So it's literally ALL about being kow-towed to. Super.

1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

Nice strawman.

Look at the evidence (including last election) and decide what's most likely to beat Trump.

It's 100% not a straw man. Look how passive this stance is:  If Biden doesn't DO SOMETHING FOR ME, then I may not vote for him.

It is entirely on the person at the ballot box to make the responsible decision. When they don't, we get Trump. 2016 proved that.

5 minutes ago, knapplc said:

OR... and hear me out here, because this is a crazy, crazy idea...

Maybe Dem or Dem-leaning people who support Bernie could see that Biden is the lesser of two evils and not require convincing to vote out the worst president in the last 100 years?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I truly don’t get it, Bernie is my guy in the primary. But between Biden and Trump it’s not even close who has the more progressive agenda. If Biden wins he won’t scrap what won him the more delegates to  cater to Bernie voters, I do think he would have a sit down with Bernie and talk about what olive branch he could extend to Bernies voters though. I know to a lot of Bernie voters it’s like choosing between two things they don’t like, but if I have to choose between a slap on the wrist or a kick to the nuts, give me a slap on the wrist every time. 

1 minute ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I truly don’t get it, Bernie is my guy in the primary. But between Biden and Trump it’s not even close who has the more progressive agenda. If Biden wins he won’t scrap what won him the more delegates to  cater to Bernie voters, I do think he would have a sit down with Bernie and talk about what olive branch he could extend to Bernies voters though. I know to a lot of Bernie voters it’s like choosing between two things they don’t like, but if I have to choose between a slap on the wrist or a kick to the nuts, give me a slap on the wrist every time. 

It sucks for Bernie supporters that it requires swallowing their agenda for four more years. But sometimes a person has to make a choice for the greater good.

Just now, Landlord said:

TIL that a presidential candidate shouldn't have to earn your vote.

This election is different. Let's not pretend.

Just now, knapplc said:

It's 100% not a straw man.

It's a strawman because I didn't say it was "literally ALL about being kow-towed to". What I am saying is that ignoring voters is not a recipe for winning elections. Especially voters who might be on the fence about whether to show up and vote for that candidate.

Just now, knapplc said:

Look how passive this stance is:  If Biden doesn't DO SOMETHING FOR ME, then I may not vote for him.

Do you honestly think a candidate is more likely to be elected when doing something for voters or when not doing something for voters?

Just now, knapplc said:

It is entirely on the person at the ballot box to make the responsible decision. When they don't, we get Trump. 2016 proved that.

If people were entirely logical and rational, then that would be a winning strategy. But you know that's not how people think or act.

1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

It's a strawman because I didn't say it was "literally ALL about being kow-towed to". What I am saying is that ignoring voters is not a recipe for winning elections. Especially voters who might be on the fence about whether to show up and vote for that candidate.

Do you honestly think a candidate is more likely to be elected when doing something for voters or when not doing something for voters?

If people were entirely logical and rational, then that would be a winning strategy. But you know that's not how people think or act.

It's super simple. You're either a responsible person or you aren't. November, 2020, you're at that ballot box, and you have to make a decision.

Biden

Trump

If you have to be convinced which one to vote for...   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

This election is different. Let's not pretend.

Yeah, and since it's different and of the utmost importance to defeat Trump, Biden's team better be bending over backwards turning over every stone trying to find ways to get the votes of people not convinced of him. 

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Getting him on board gets the youth segment on board.

Now if we could just get the youth segment to actually vote...

Just now, Landlord said:

Yeah, and since it's different and of the utmost importance to defeat Trump, Biden's team better be bending over backwards turning over every stone trying to find ways to get the votes of people not convinced of him. 

Again, that's an exceedingly passive way of looking at this election. Biden has to do something for me so I'll vote for him.

This election, you should not need that.

6 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

But it's enough for Biden to have to pay attention to.  That's the key.  I'm not saying this because I think Sanders is going to blaze a path to victory...I'm saying it because Biden should wake the fugg up and court Sanders and some of his policies.

Getting him on board gets the youth segment on board.

But, then every time he acts like he wants to do that, you come on here pissed off talking about how full of s#!t he is.

• Thanks 1

Again, that's an exceedingly passive way of looking at this election.

No,

It's super simple. You're either a responsible person or you aren't. November, 2020, you're at that ballot box, and you have to make a decision.

Biden

Trump

THIS is extremely passive. How about being pragmatic instead of noble and righteous? Who cares if people have to be convinced; CONVINCE THEM! This election is different, remember? This is no time to stand firm in integrity and responsibility admonishing the bad people. Get the bad people on your side. Con them. Do whatever it takes to make sure that we beat Trump. 

Trying to earn votes is effective and active. Sitting around saying, "Look there's nothing to be done either people are smart or they're dummies and if they're dummies then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ " is passive and doesn't accomplish anything.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Biden

Trump

Yes!!! Every election is about being convinced who to vote for and even whether to vote at all! The majority of people aren't just going to vote the way that you think they should. It's all about convincing them - as it has always been for the history of politics.

And if you think just the "responsible" people are going to carry Biden to victory, you're going to be sad.

3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Now if we could just get the youth segment to actually vote...

Again, that's an exceedingly passive way of looking at this election. Biden has to do something for me so I'll vote for him.

This election, you should not need that.

Every election you need that. Not appealing to the voters that can help you win is the pinnacle of being passive.

You can wish people were the way you want them to be, but that's not going to help defeat Trump.

Just now, Landlord said:

No,

THIS is extremely passive. How about being pragmatic instead of noble and righteous? Who cares if people have to be convinced; CONVINCE THEM! This election is different, remember? This is no time to stand firm in integrity and responsibility admonishing the bad people. Get the bad people on your side. Con them. Do whatever it takes to make sure that we beat Trump. 

Trying to earn votes is effective and active. Sitting around saying, "Look there's nothing to be done either people are smart or they're dummies and if they're dummies then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ " is passive and doesn't accomplish anything.

You are the person charged with making the responsible decision here. You. You have to vote for someone.

Expecting Trump's opponent to have to earn your vote is passive. You, the "responsible voter" need to make a responsible decision. Proactively choose to vote in a way that sees Trump out. 

Expecting Trump's opponent to EARN your vote is you sitting back, passively, saying, "Convince me."

If you haven't been convinced by the last four years... man. What have you been looking at?

PROACTIVELY go vote against Trump. That's you. Joe Biden will not be filling out your ballot. YOU will.

Don't be passive. Be proactive.

• Haha 1