The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

7 minutes ago, knapplc said:

All you have to do is watch the Bernie/Biden debate. Biden did fine - as well as Bernie, anyway. He'll do equally fine against Trump, if Trump even debates (which he's already hinted he may not).

He did fine in that debate. He hasn't done fine a large number of times over the last six months. Both are there, neither is the whole picture.

• Plus1 1

Just now, Landlord said:

He did fine in that debate. He hasn't done fine a large number of times over the last six months. Both are there, neither is the whole picture.

I don't think anyone thinks 2020 Biden is the same as 2008 Biden. But he's not a doddering simpleton quite yet.

And again, that's why his Veep pick is probably the most important in our lifetime.

• Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

So, you know and keep tabs on each and every follower of every candidate, track their actions, and record their behavior online?

Because you'd have to do that in order to post what you just did.

I think the problem stems from it being people within his campaign. Here's his national press sec attacking John Lewis. And the next tweet is from a "National Surrogate" that appears in many of Bernie's media content.

ghadqvemf5e41.jpg

https://twitter.com/SenhorRaposa/status/1247586815189512197/photo/1

8 minutes ago, knapplc said:

If it wasn't for the 24/7 deluge of BS coming from the White House, this would be getting more air time:

Wisconsin also has a Supreme Court general election today and a conservative is up for re-election.

In case you were wondering why Wisconsin Republicans were so determined to hold an election during a public health crisis.

The legend of the Bernie Bros goes back to the 2016 election, where Hillary Clinton lost for any number of reasons, but her own army of very, very angry supporters decided it was Bernie Sanders fault, and launched some of the most bitter invective you could imagine at Sanders supporters, laced with misplaced charges of misogyny that unfortunately stuck. 

I've seen my share of insufferable Bernie Sanders loyalists, but I learned long ago not to let the loudest internet narcissists speak for everybody. 

But there is a key difference: a lot of people are passionate about Bernie Sanders. Not many people are passionate about Joe Biden. They weren't really passionate about Mayor Pete or Amy or Kamala or the others. A little more passion for Liz Warren, which is interesting. But the supposed politeness of these followers doesn't necessarily suggest they are more civil or reasonable. Just that they aren't as emotionally vested in their willfully moderate candidates. 

Then again, if you didn't sees supporters of the Dem runner-ups go off on angry self-righteous diatribes against Bernie Sanders, maybe you weren't paying attention. CNN and MSNBC pundits were as bad or worse than the internet trolls. The day Sanders ran away with the Nevada primary was at absolute meltdown.

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The legend of the Bernie Bros goes back to the 2016 election, where Hillary Clinton lost for any number of reasons, but her own army of very, very angry supporters decided it was Bernie Sanders fault, and launched some of the most bitter invective you could imagine at Sanders supporters, laced with misplaced charges of misogyny that unfortunately stuck. 

I've seen my share of insufferable Bernie Sanders loyalists, but I learned long ago not to let the loudest internet narcissists speak for everybody. 

But there is a key difference: a lot of people are passionate about Bernie Sanders. Not many people are passionate about Joe Biden. They weren't really passionate about Mayor Pete or Amy or Kamala or the others. A little more passion for Liz Warren, which is interesting. But the supposed politeness of these followers doesn't necessarily suggest they are more civil or reasonable. Just that they aren't as emotionally vested in their willfully moderate candidates. 

Then again, if you didn't sees supporters of the Dem runner-ups go off on angry self-righteous diatribes against Bernie Sanders, maybe you weren't paying attention. CNN and MSNBC pundits were as bad or worse than the internet trolls. The day Sanders ran away with the Nevada primary was at absolute meltdown.

This was the day Chris Matthews lost his damn mind, wasn't it? Nazi Germany and all that?

Regardless, a lot of people are passionate about Bernie, yes. But a lot of people are passionately against Sanders as well in a way that would fire up opposition turnout and expand Trump's coalition. The same cannot be said about Biden.

2 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Surrogates are not paid or part of a campaign.  They are celebrities/scholars/influencers who stump for a candidate.  They can be official (recognized by the candidate as a supporter...used to speak for them) or unofficial (not recognized or used).

The person in that tweet is the national press secretary of his campaign.

Although I'm not sure why a tweet from 2017 is super relevant. But I do wish Bernie had surrounded himself with better personnel.

5 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Surrogates are not paid or part of a campaign.  They are celebrities/scholars/influencers who stump for a candidate.  They can be official and unofficial.

She campaigns with Nina Turner, she has 35k followers, and she appears in his media campaigns, and she has Bernie Surrogate in her twitter profile, Bernie's own website lists her by name promoting her being at his events. Like it or not, what she says is going to be associated with his campaign. And her implying that John Lewis isn't a real civil rights activist - well that's going to rub a lot of people the wrong way. 

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

She campaigns with Nina Turner, she has 35k followers, and she appears in his media campaigns, and she has Bernie Surrogate in her twitter profile, Bernie's own website lists her by name promoting her being at his events. Like it or not, what she says is going to be associated with his campaign. And her implying that John Lewis isn't a real civil rights activist - well that's going to rub a lot of people the wrong way. 

Can someone actually post the tweet or whatever it was? I'm not seeing anything in Briahna Joy Gray's twitter feed about John Lewis not being a civil rights activist.

6 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

It's from Dr. Dooley.  It's been erased but here is a screencap:

Evidently, adding quotes to that means she is attacking his civil rights record...instead of, quoting what he is?  I dunno.  Leave off the quotes for the sensitive people I guess?

We shouldn't pretend Lewis or Biden are above reproach and should never be criticized.

But what Lewis understands about Biden is that he is flawed in ways that all humans are. Voters have recognized that and have largely forgiven Biden for it because they can identify with being flawed. Bernie surrogates don't and offer endless criticism, apparently expecting rigid ideological perfection - implicitly believing that describes Sanders - because they spend all their time in purity test land.

Just now, Danny Bateman said:

But what Lewis understands about Biden is that he is flawed in ways that all humans are. Voters have recognized that and have largely forgiven Biden for it because they can identify with being flawed. Bernie surrogates don't and offer endless criticism, apparently expecting ideological perfection - implicitly believing that describes Sanders - because they spend all their time in purity test land.

Isn't this whole thing about Biden supporters wanting ideological perfection from Bernie's surrogates? This doesn't strike you as hypocritical?

Just now, RedDenver said:

Isn't this whole thing about Biden supporters wanting ideological perfection from Bernie's surrogates? This doesn't strike you as hypocritical?

I think some people chafed at someone taking a swipe at Lewis' civil rights credentials. I am not among them because A) I said people should be able to criticize anyone and B) it's just what I've come to expect from Bernie's surrogates.