The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

25 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

He's shown no lean.

He's not even leaning as far as Hillary was for Medicare age. 

His student loan thing isn't a great lean either.

Both of those things are "lean", though.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, funhusker said:

A webcam and an opinion.

I absolutely hate the age we live in.  One of my sons wants to be a "Youtuber" when he grows up.  I could have slapped him until I saw what some of those people make.  

There is a ton of very talented millionaires because of social media, but MY GOD is there a bunch of fricking idiots making a ton of money!!!  I'm listening right now, they are watching a grown man open Hotwheels.  Over a 500,000 views...:facepalm:

That's debatable.  Social media has made it easier to enter the opinion market than say publishing books or getting on talk radio.  But I think if we got hard numbers they would show an earnings pyramid that was even steeper than traditional opinion media.  

Regardless of the medium, it makes a lot more sense when you realize that the talking heads are all in the business of selling words.  They can sell a lot more words that inflame passions than present dry facts.

7 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

He's making gains in that regard. Slowly but surely.

I made a lengthy post here showing Dem enthusiasm has increased significantly since 2016. I'm not too worried about whether that's pro-Biden or anti-Trump because both groups votes count the same.

4 point move in favorability is certainly good, but I was talking about voter excitement to vote for Biden:

That was a few weeks ago, but I haven't seen more recent polling.

there is going to be a group of extremist progressives who will never vote for Joe.  that's all there is to it.   Joe can't bend over far enough to satisfy that group.  so far it seems that every time joe reaches his hand out to them they only spit in it so at some point i can see joe stop putting his hand out there.

11 minutes ago, commando said:

there is going to be a group of extremist progressives who will never vote for Joe.  that's all there is to it.   Joe can't bend over far enough to satisfy that group.  so far it seems that every time joe reaches his hand out to them they only spit in it so at some point i can see joe stop putting his hand out there.

I agree that Biden should only put a certain amount of effort into convincing one group or another, but there's going to be a group in every voting block and demographic that will never vote for Joe.

47 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

4 point move in favorability is certainly good, but I was talking about voter excitement to vote for Biden:

That was a few weeks ago, but I haven't seen more recent polling.

Oh, I agree. Trump's voters are like cultists and they're going to run through a brick wall to vote for him. There's just no way Biden wins this metric. None. I don't think that's really debatable at this point.

But FiveThirtyEight did a chat on this specific poll. I read it and came away feeling a lot better about what seemed like a really bad number. They pointed out that some of this might be due to circumstances out of Biden's control and is likely to improve by the fall. And for what it's worth, we're not even sure if enthusiasm as a metric even matters. Bernie's supporters were far more enthusiastic than anyone else in the primary and he still lost by a fairly wide margin.

Basically since we're not sure how much this matters and the fact it will probably improve make me not worry about it so much. Or, as one of them mentioned, it could even be a good thing. Maybe a perception of low enthusiasm will actually scare more people out into voting.

48 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Lean as it offering up a minute steak instead of a T Bone...sure.

Look, the "lean" you're saying Biden has done isn't serious and progressives know it.  They know he's stuck...because he's dependent upon big money and business and he can't make concessions to the little guy.  He's entirely controlled by the almighty dollar because that's where his funding comes from.  That's a problem Bernie didn't have and it's probably the largest reason I voted for him.

Just the same, I don't see Biden making concessions and the trivial ones he's made are a joke to progressives...it's a wobble and not a lean and it's not been taken seriously.

Joe wants to make things move?  He's gotta be decisive and he's gotta be bold.  Nothing else will move the needle.

what if he changes his last name to stalin?

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

Biden out with a pretty good ad highlighting some of his climate change plans.

It's a good goal of becoming world leaders in green energy technology by 2025 and the US being 100% renewable energy by 2050, but I'm not sure if $170 billion a year is going to get there. Certainly a good start though.