The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

12 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

It's a good goal of becoming world leaders in green energy technology by 2025 and the US being 100% renewable energy by 2050, but I'm not sure if $170 billion a year is going to get there. Certainly a good start though.

What were we spending on this under the Obama administration?

4 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Sounds like DC police is investigating, I would think they would have access to those records. Like I've said this entire time I just want the facts. 

The statute of limitations has run.  I suppose the DC Police are interested to see if they could have any liability. 

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

What were we spending on this under the Obama administration?

It's hard to say. Obama campaigned on spending $37.5 billion/year ($150 billion over 4 years), but it's difficult to tell even whether he spent that much:

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/obameter/promise/457/invest-150-billion-to-encourage-green-business-/

So might have spent about a quarter of what Biden is proposing.

Sanders supporters' requests are being met by Biden. How long until they come around?

Biden and Sanders vow joint climate work as part of endorsement

Part of Bernie Sanders' endorsement of presumptive Democratic nominee Joe Biden is a new plan for them to form joint "task forces" on six big topics, including climate change.

Why it matters: Time will tell, but I'll be watching to see if it leads to substantial changes in Biden's climate platform, which has disappointed the left even though it goes far beyond Obama-era policies.

• Biden already rolled out changes to his health care and student debt policies last week designed to appeal to Sanders' backers.

Driving the news: The two men said they would form task forces on climate, health care, criminal justice, immigration, the economy and education.

• Axios' Alexi McCammond writes that it's a sign of Biden's continued outreach to the progressive wing of the party.

What we don't know: Who will be on the climate task force, but I'll write more when I know something.

• “They will be comprised of policy experts and leaders that represent the diverse viewpoints of the Democratic party,” a Biden campaign aide tells me.
  • “The groups will work together to identify shared policy goals that build upon Vice President Biden’s progressive vision for America,” the aide said.

•  
7 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Sanders supporters' requests are being met by Biden. How long until they come around?

It's a start, but there isn't much details yet. The healthcare change of lower medicare age from 65 to 60 isn't going to move any progressives since that puts Biden to the right of Hillary's proposed change to 55. The student debt forgiveness policy is more substantial though, but it doesn't address future college costs just current debt.

The climate policy hasn't been released yet other than some aspirational goals, which should be pretty appealing to progressives if the policies are there to back up the goals.

As for how long, I have no idea, but there's still months until the conventions let alone the general election campaigns.

4 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

As it says in that very article, "Time will tell, but I'll be watching to see if it leads to substantial changes in Biden's climate platform, which has disappointed"

Until he does more for healthcare...I doubt many Sanders supporters will be swayed.

THis happens every four years.  Trump will unite your party behind Biden. 

1 minute ago, Danny Bateman said:

He's starting off in a very decent position. What he does with it is what counts. Polls also aren't super predictive this early on. But you take good news where you can get it in the era of Trump.

This is like the Huskers being up 20-14 in the first quarter against Iowa.  I don't feel comfortable and the team dang well better not stop pressing and playing as hard as they can.  But....I'd much rather be in this position than down 14-20.

• Plus1 2

24 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is like the Huskers being up 20-14 in the first quarter against Iowa.  I don't feel comfortable and the team dang well better not stop pressing and playing as hard as they can.  But....I'd much rather be in this position than down 14-20.

Surprised you didn't go with us being up 17-0 at half at Colorado last year.

26 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Trump is going to have some shenanigans before the election, we all know that. So Biden just has to not completely screw up and hope that there's no crazy late development like the Comey Letter that sinks him.

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

Trump is going to have some shenanigans before the election, we all know that. So Biden just has to not completely screw up and hope that there's no crazy late development like the Comey Letter that sinks him.

Barr will bring charges against hunter  a week or 2 before the election 

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, commando said:

Barr will bring charges against hunter  a week or 2 before the election 

Something like that, definitely. But I think they'll be shocked how little the voting public cares about the Burisma/Hunter stuff.  Pretty much everyone regards that as a nothingburger. 

What would stick is something with video, like Biden assaulting someone (like Reade, although we know there's no video there). I'd also be watchful for a deep fake.