• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BigRedBuster

• knapplc

• Danny Bateman

• RedDenver

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Do you honestly not understand the difference between someone who said something stupid as an off color joke one time and some one who: Has been sued twice for housing discrimination against A

He is.

I honestly don't know what will happen tomorrow. But if Joe Biden wins, you will be allowed to own all the guns you want, worship your God however you want, and hate whomever you want in the privacy o

Posted Images

49 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

We heard that last election too. Except Trump hit Hillary on trade and her emails. He'll probably hit Biden on trade, difficulty speaking/remembering, and Hunter Biden (especially dealings with China). Some of that is probably going land outside of Trump's base, but it remains to be seen how effective it will be.

Trump had an advantage last time, he had no political background to pick on. His opponent did. Biden’s team will have 4 years of lies, golfing and mistakes to pick apart

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Trump had an advantage last time, he had no political background to pick on. His opponent did. Biden’s team will have 4 years of lies, golfing and mistakes to pick apart

True, but Biden is again the ultimate establishment insider allowing Trump to play the outsider. Hopefully Trump's record will be his undoing, but I still think Biden will lose.

2 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Yet he beat Bernie and is polling better than Trump - so obviously his campaign isn't a flaming disaster. I'll agree he has short falls, but the debate narrative is so wrong in my eyes. Trump can't even answer simple questions from the media without having a complete meltdown. He will score well with his base, but not beyond that.

I never said it was a flaming disaster...I stated clearly and concisely where it has shortcomings and will continue to have them.

Not sure why you decided to address something I didn't say instead of what I actually did.  Kind of an odd way of debating someone.

1 hour ago, knapplc said:
2 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

All this because he won't bend 1 or 2 policies to be more progressive in order to excite and unite people behind him.

This just isn't true at all.

A majority of progressives might get behind him if he changed his stance on 1 or 2 policies to be more progressive.  It's my opinion.

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

This just isn't true at all.

Compromise is a two-way street. Progressives need to be willing to walk toward Biden as much as they want him to walk to them.

And you seem to think that what he did was PROGRESSIVE eh?  LOL.  There is your problem dude.

8 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

I never said it was a flaming disaster...I stated clearly and concisely where it has shortcomings and will continue to have them.

Not sure why you decided to address something I didn't say instead of what I actually did.  Kind of an odd way of debating someone.

Just stating despite shortcomings (like every other campaign) he has positioned himself very well, not all doom and gloom. 

1 hour ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Just stating despite shortcomings (like every other campaign) he has positioned himself very well, not all doom and gloom. 

He really hasn't positioned well due to his lack of fundraising due to his poor finishes during the first few primaries.  Plus, he lacks the grassroots base of Sanders and Trump so he lagged WAY behind both of them on fundraising

His fundraising will be quite limited while this pandemic is going on. This isn't just me thinking this:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/12/coronavirus-fundraising-biden-127674

https://fortune.com/2020/03/29/coronavirus-presidential-election-fundraising-biden-trump/

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/21/politics/joe-biden-coronavirus-campaign-tactics/index.html

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/21/coranavirus-puts-biden-in-limbo-138726

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/biden-seeks-to-revive-fundraising-momentum-as-coronavirus--and-trump--grab-attention/2020/04/05/75cb75b6-7455-11ea-87da-77a8136c1a6d_story.html

So, many opinion pieces up there noticing the following:

1. He isn't in a position to compete with Trump financially
  2. His fundraising base isn't like Trumps and lacks grassroots influx of money
  3. His fundraising is drastically reduced due to coronavirus

These things aren't making his campaign impossible...but it's making it harder AND he's not positioned well to go tit for tat vs. Trump.  It's not doom and gloom...you have to recognize where weaknesses are so you can attack them and eliminate them.  Sticking your head in the sand won't make them go away.

• Plus1 1

Sanders said his supporters have a simple choice now that Biden has emerged as the presumptive nominee: “Do we be as active as we can in electing Joe Biden and doing everything we can to move Joe and his campaign in a more progressive direction? Or do we choose to sit it out and allow the most dangerous president in modern American history to get reelected?”

https://apnews.com/a1bfb62e37fe34e09ff123a58a1329fa

4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Hopefully if he does run it will be the equivalent of a dem running as an independent. He might take some repub and independent votes away from Trump that would have gone to him otherwise. 

7 hours ago, knapplc said:

What concessions are progressives willing to give in return? Where's the middle?

I was listening to a Pod Save America podcast earlier (former Obama guys) and they hypothesized that there's a couple different groups of progressives and they differ in their potential to come around to Biden. 

Group 1 is progressive/lefty media. They are not going to come around on Biden. 

Group 2 is progressive/lefty activists. They are more likely waiting and listening in good faith hoping Biden supports more things they like and would then be much more apt to feel OK supporting him.

But if people in Group 2 spend too much time in a media bubble of largely progressive media sources, they're going to be exposed to relentlessly negative views of Biden. Which reinforces the belief he's a centrist trainwreck with whom they should not compromise.

12 hours ago, TGHusker said:

That Chicago machine - probably nothing like it in today's world.  Daley was 'rewarded' with the 1668 Dem convention. What a mess that turned out to be. 

Most interesting thing you can find on CSPAN.

12 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Didn't know he was a SD native. He was generally considered a son of Minnesota, as was Eugene McCarthy.  I believe Humphrey's widow lived in Lincoln for awhile. As an HHH scholar you probably know he came up as a progressive firebrand, to the left of Roosevelt and a devout civil rights advocate back when that was much trickier politically. That was all squandered when he had to carry Lyndon Johnson's water, and even free to run on his own in 68, 72, and while dying of cancer in 76, he was an establishment centrist associated with the stubborn support of the Vietnam war.

I've tried to explain 1968 to people who think this is the worst time ever in America. It's a horrible argument to win, and both arguments are probably right in their own way. The radical activists and middle class liberals had no trouble revolting against a Democrat president, because he'd earned their wrath. LBJ could never reconcile all the good he did with the Great Society, and all the evil he allowed in Vietnam. 

And just as no one really pined for President Humphrey so too they will quickly forget candidate Biden.