The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Depends if your kid is qualified or not. And there's also a difference when we're talking about millions of dollars as opposed to minimum wage.

I think for me the money is not an issue, it is the field.

Like...the Will Smith example...if he wants to put his kid in his movies, great, go for it.  It is not hurting anyone.

4 hours ago, RedDenver said:

None that I know of, but I think it's unethical and should be regulated or not allowed. 

This is such a bad take. Especially since you said, "he doesn't get that job if his dad isn't Joe Biden", and you specifically didn't say, "Joe Biden got his son that job." There's a huge distinction between the two.

You can't regulate someone not being allowed to succeed because they have a successful parent. What???

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Look, I know what you're getting at, but Hunter Biden doesn't get that job if his dad isn't Joe Biden.

Ok but did Joe Biden do anything? Should Joe Biden not have entered politics to avoid this? What did Joe do? It seems to me it may have been poor judgment by Hunter Biden, but by all accounts Joe Biden discouraged him from taking the job. The idea Joe Biden 'got his son the gig' is absolutely and completely false. Unless someone can provide evidence he took any action whatsoever? As far as I can tell that doesn't exist. Didn't we just have a conversation the other day about making people do things they don't want to do? That applies very strongly to father son relationships and 6 figure salaries. What should Joe Biden have done differently? 

Unless we want to ban politicians from having children im not sure how you would want to regulate the Biden situation. The fact is Joe didn't do anything to get his son the job, Hunter had some level of qualification, and his connection to US politics wasn't leveraged. Joe Biden can tell his 44 year old son not to take a 6 figure a year job but he can't really make him do anything. There is nothing there and honestly its funny to me that you want to try and make something of it now @RedDenver. Have you always held this position or are you falling for the *leftwing anti Biden propaganda?

• Plus1 1

12 hours ago, teachercd said:

I think for me the money is not an issue, it is the field.

Like...the Will Smith example...if he wants to put his kid in his movies, great, go for it.  It is not hurting anyone.

It's hurting other actors who could have gotten the role.

8 hours ago, Landlord said:

This is such a bad take. Especially since you said, "he doesn't get that job if his dad isn't Joe Biden", and you specifically didn't say, "Joe Biden got his son that job." There's a huge distinction between the two.

I agree, there's a big distinction between the two. I'm not saying Joe Biden is guilty of breaking the law or anything like that.

8 hours ago, Landlord said:

You can't regulate someone not being allowed to succeed because they have a successful parent. What???

You can have corruption and bribery laws like we have now that forbid giving of gifts to public officials. I'm not sure exactly how we'd word a law that applies to friends and families, but Hunter Biden wasn't at all qualified for the position he got.

1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

Ok but did Joe Biden do anything? Should Joe Biden not have entered politics to avoid this? What did Joe do? It seems to me it may have been poor judgment by Hunter Biden, but by all accounts Joe Biden discouraged him from taking the job. The idea Joe Biden 'got his son the gig' is absolutely and completely false. Unless someone can provide evidence he took any action whatsoever? As far as I can tell that doesn't exist. Didn't we just have a conversation the other day about making people do things they don't want to do? That applies very strongly to father son relationships and 6 figure salaries. What should Joe Biden have done differently? 

I agree. I think the system that allows this to happen needs to change, and I don't think someone who's family is profiting off of it like the Bidens is likely to change it.

1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

Unless we want to ban politicians from having children im not sure how you would want to regulate the Biden situation. The fact is Joe didn't do anything to get his son the job, Hunter had some level of qualification, and his connection to US politics wasn't leveraged. Joe Biden can tell his 44 year old son not to take a 6 figure a year job but he can't really make him do anything. There is nothing there and honestly its funny to me that you want to try and make something of it now @RedDenver. Have you always held this position or are you falling for the *leftwing anti Biden propaganda?

I mean, I must be because I disagree with you, right?

Getting money out of politics has always been one of my top issues. This is another form of that where a company can offer the money to a family member in order to get influence.

16 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I agree, there's a big distinction between the two. I'm not saying Joe Biden is guilty of breaking the law or anything like that.

You can have corruption and bribery laws like we have now that forbid giving of gifts to public officials. I'm not sure exactly how we'd word a law that applies to friends and families, but Hunter Biden wasn't at all qualified for the position he got.

I agree. I think the system that allows this to happen needs to change, and I don't think someone who's family is profiting off of it like the Bidens is likely to change it.

Getting money out of politics has always been one of my top issues. This is another form of that where a company can offer the money to a family member in order to get influence.

Are you arguing that people shouldn’t be able to name drop their parents in order to try to get a job?

That seems to be what you’re arguing and it’s weird. This stuff with Biden or the Trumps is only wrong if they’re given these positions by their parents or if the parents put some kind of pressure on the employer to hire them. If Joe Biden didn’t pressure this foreign company into hiring his son then there’s no wrongdoing there. If it was just Hunter saying “yo my last name is Biden, please hire me,” there is nothing wrong there other than him being an idiot with no foresight. You don’t f#&%ing go work for a Ukrainian company if your dad works for the president, because it’s stupid.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

If some head of your school district got their kid a job that cost you yours, would you still be ok with it?

Like...I get fired for this kid to get a job?  Or we both interview for the same job and the kid gets it over me because of their last name?

If I lost my job, I would be pissed.

If we both interviewed I would just expect that kid to get the job over me.

43 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

but Hunter Biden wasn't at all qualified for the position he got.

This is what I'm talking about. Why are you parroting right wing narratives that aren't really true? Biden is a lawyer who had served on a board of directors for Amtrack He started a consulting firm in 2013 and what was he hired to do at Burisma? Consult on legal issues. He sounds fairly qualified for that to me. 

No, I think you are because you are playing devils advocate on completely debunked right wing conspiracies that have absolutely no merit. 

Getting money out of politics has always been one of my top issues. This is another form of that where a company can offer the money to a family member in order to get influence. Getting money out of politics is one thing but this is not that. I don't remember you bringing this up when this was first being discussed. Burisma got no influence so I'm not sure how this applies. 

FWIW Fox News has started covering the [other]Tara Reade

16 hours ago, teachercd said:

Maybe, but everyone knows Joe got his son that sweet gig...it is just that no one REALLY cares about that because most of us are either cool with nepotism (I am) or wish that our parents could line us up with a sweet gig because of their high powered connections. 

They all do it, the Bidens just flaunt it.

15 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

True. What law was broke?

If you listen what the businessmen said (instead of the politician's sound bytes) it's some version of this is how business is done.  Everyone knows that people with money are going to use it to support powerful government politicians.  And there's always a legal way to do it.  It becomes a crime when someone doesn't follow procedure or there is a provable quid pro quo.  In other words, someone screwed up and revealed that politicians don't have altruistic motives. 

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

Like...I get fired for this kid to get a job?  Or we both interview for the same job and the kid gets it over me because of their last name?

If I lost my job, I would be pissed.

If we both interviewed I would just expect that kid to get the job over me.

It doesn't have to be the kids. Tua Tagovailoa's parents moved to Tuscaloosa when he was still in high school.  The internet doesn't seem to know why they preferred to live in Alabama over Hawaii. 

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, RedDenver said:

People in free countries are allowed to benefit and even profit off of their name and their association, and companies are allowed to view a powerful name/reputation as a bonus in hiring someone.

First of all, any law that would prevent an unprovable assertion of excess benefit because of your notoriety, and not because of any wrongdoing on any person's part, would frankly be a terrible law and very infringing on freedom. There's no clear way to draw a distinction between "bad" behavior and harmless behavior; I got an internship at my mom's work in college. Was I entirely and the most qualified? idk probably not. Did my mom lobby on my behalf? No. Did her being a long time employee at the company factor into the hiring decision and choosing me? Yeah, of course it did.

Second of all, in regards to, "...Hunter Biden wasn't at all qualified for the position he got.," .....are you sure? Have you ever actually looked that up?

- He graduated law school, took a position at MBNA after school and rose to executive vice president in two years.

- He worked in the USDOC for three years. 

- He was appointed by Bush to a spot on the board of directors for Amtrak, and was the board's vice chairman. Gave up the position when Biden was VP.

- Founded an investment firm in 2009 with partners.

- Applied to the Navy Reserves at 43.

- Founded another business investing Chinese capital out of the country, and in response to a ton of false Trump allegations way before Burisma, he stepped down from the board of directors of his own company.

- Was working as an attorney for a very high-profile law firm in NYC, and THEN joined the board of Burisma holdiings. 

So someone with experience as a lawyer, with being an executive and a board member of companies, with starting business, and with capital investment, wasn't AT ALL qualified for a board position at a big company? 

• Plus1 3
15 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

you listen what the businessmen said (instead of the politician's sound bytes) it's some version of this is how business is done.  Everyone knows that people with money are going to use it to support powerful government politicians.  And there's always a legal way to do it.  It becomes a crime when someone doesn't follow procedure or there is a provable quid pro quo.  In other words, someone screwed up and revealed that politicians don't have altruistic motives. 

Cool story. What law was broken?