The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

8 minutes ago, QMany said:

Cognitive decline, can't read, and/or drug use, none of which are good for POTUS. 

So... do we need an age cap for president? Seems a bit unfair since everyone ages differently, but there are also smart people out there under 35 who would make good presidents.

Either that or require a mental fitness exam.

8 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

So... do we need an age cap for president? Seems a bit unfair since everyone ages differently, but there are also smart people out there under 35 who would make good presidents.

That is actually a good idea.  I mean, if "retirement" age is like 65ish...why are we electing people in their mid 70's.

2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Why should the US voter be able to commit age discrimination when I could be sued for the same thing as a private company? 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Why should the US voter be able to commit age discrimination when I could be sued for the same thing as a private company? 

Yeah, that would be the issue.  I suppose saying you have to be 35 could be age discrimination too?  I don't really know how that works.

Doesn't matter...in a few years we will get to pick the age we want to be.  Can't wait to be 21 again!

By the way, in my field, new teachers with no experience get paid less than teachers with experience, we basically have a salary ladder so if a person that has been teaching 10 years and a new teacher both interview...the person with 10 years gets paid a lot more.  Sometimes the school hires the cheaper teacher.  Is that age discrimination?  I have always sort of thought so.

3 minutes ago, teachercd said:

By the way, in my field, new teachers with no experience get paid less than teachers with experience, we basically have a salary ladder so if a person that has been teaching 10 years and a new teacher both interview...the person with 10 years gets paid a lot more.  Sometimes the school hires the cheaper teacher.  Is that age discrimination?  I have always sort of thought so.

No.

Sometimes the person with more experience is younger.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

No.

Sometimes the person with more experience is younger.

Yeah, I was going to add that part.  But what if that isn't the case.  What if they hired a person ONLY because they would cost less?

I have friends that teach in a district I want to get into...they have told me that the district is trying to save cash and all of a sudden is only hire brand new teachers.  Oh well, no big deal, just thought it was interesting.

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

Yeah, I was going to add that part.  But what if that isn't the case.  What if they hired a person ONLY because they would cost less?

That's perfectly legal.  Why shouldn't it be?  I can either pay a higher salary and get experience, or take a chance on a less expensive employee with less experience.  They then gain that experience learning on the job for me....which many times adds costs due to training..etc.

About 8 months ago I hired a guy for a position that I knew he didn't have experience in.  I thought he was ready for the move up.  I also interviewed a couple people who had way more experience.  They would have cost me around 30% more on day one.  Now, as this guy gets experience and he succeeds, he will be eventually making what those other people wanted.

Why should Scott Frost be hired at Nebraska for less than what Nick Saban is making?

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

That's perfectly legal.  Why shouldn't it be?  I can either pay a higher salary and get experience, or take a chance on a less expensive employee with less experience.  They then gain that experience learning on the job for me....which many times adds costs due to training..etc.

About 8 months ago I hired a guy for a position that I knew he didn't have experience in.  I thought he was ready for the move up.  I also interviewed a couple people who had way more experience.  They would have cost me around 30% more on day one.  Now, as this guy gets experience and he succeeds, he will be eventually making what those other people wanted.

Why should Scott Frost be hired at Nebraska for less than what Nick Saban is making?

Oh no, I agree with you.  I have had administrators tell me that it is an illegal practice.  I never really thought so, why not hire cheap if you can and if you will get good results.  

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I think you mean the US government. Voters can discriminate with their vote for any reason they want. And we're already doing it with the minimum age. I say if we have an age minimum we should consider an age maximum. I would be a lot less worried voting for a capable 30 year old than a capable 75 year old. Personally I think the minimum age should be 18 and there probably shouldn't be a max, but I'm tired of people picking these candidates. Sanders and Warren even if you disagree with them, don't seem to be going downhill yet. But Biden and Trump clearly are. 

4 hours ago, RedDenver said:

And, unsurprisingly, the right has been fighting against removing Jackson from the 20.

Trump needs to step up and say that Jackson will stay on the $20 because of his actions to support our Republic.  The mob needs to learn that great leaders have never been nice guys with sweet opinions on social justice.  Now for political reasons it can be delayed til his 2nd term, or the next President Trump.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Trump needs to step up and say that Jackson will stay on the $20 because of his actions to support our Republic.  The mob needs to learn that great leaders have never been nice guys with sweet opinions on social justice.  Now for political reasons it can be delayed til his 2nd term, or the next President Trump.

Of all the hills on which to plant a flag.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, teachercd said:

That is actually a good idea.  I mean, if "retirement" age is like 65ish...why are we electing people in their mid 70's.

Bass ackwards.  Modern medicine has kept people alive and functional far longer than in previous generations.  But it has not made the youths any more the wiser. If anything our safe space incubator had delayed adulthood compared to the children of different eras.  And we have nearly two years of AOC reminding us of the wisdom of the Founding Fathers.

• Plus1 1