The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

39 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I also read that Iowa is back to being a battleground state. We'll see if this holds though. People have short memories.

A concern of mine is that Biden isn't going up as fast as Trump is going down.  That tells me people are being turned off by Trump, but not turned on by Biden.  Those people are at risk of being convinced to go ahead and vote for Trump in the end.

• Plus1 1

14 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

A concern of mine is that Biden isn't going up as fast as Trump is going down.  That tells me people are being turned off by Trump, but not turned on by Biden.  Those people are at risk of being convinced to go ahead and vote for Trump in the end.

Probably some of that but I think more just won’t vote. 

10 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

What were you expecting out a Biden nomination?  dancing schoolkids??

On 6/17/2020 at 2:31 PM, BigRedBuster said:

So, you don't think these sites and technology have a moral obligation to try to eliminate organizations using their site to promote hatred, bigotry, flat out lies, foreign governments influencing our elections and promote violence.

These companies aren't eliminating these organizations from existing or saying whatever they want.  It's just that if they fall into those categories, they can't use their technology.  And, you have a problem with that.

Would you have  a problem if the electric company shut off anyone using their literal power to promote 'hatred etc'?

10 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Would you have  a problem if the electric company shut off anyone using their literal power to promote 'hatred etc'?

This is actually a really interesting point. 

14 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

4 hours ago, teachercd said:

This is actually a really interesting point.  It is a point that even the super crazies can't argue with which is shocking because most will argue with a wall.

I’ll give it a go. 

The sole purpose of FB and Twitter is to say things. Comparing it to a privately owned power company is asinine.

But since we’re doing that, if your FB/Twitter gets shut down you can still get your message out a variety of ways including going to some other social media site or creating your own website or commenting on Breitbart articles.

If your power gets shut off permanently there’s usually no other choice besides using your fireplace or hoping it doesn’t get too hot, because electricity is used to stay alive, not just to say things. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

I’ll give it a go. 

The sole purpose of FB and Twitter is to say things. Comparing it to a privately owned power company is asinine.

But since we’re doing that, if your FB/Twitter gets show down you can still get your message out a variety of ways including going to some other social media site or creating your own webaite or commenting or Breitbart articles.

If your power gets shut off permanently there’s usually no other choice besides using your fireplace or hoping it doesn’t get too hot, because electricity is used to stay alive, not just to say things. 

Is it?  I mean, electricity is a fairly new.  People lived (and many still do) without it for thousands of years.

With that said, in Lincoln I did not have AC and it sucked!!!!

And a lot of people use FB and Twitter to just read things but not say anything at all.

3 hours ago, teachercd said:

Is it?  I mean, electricity is a fairly new.  People lived (and many still do) without it for thousands of years.

With that said, in Lincoln I did not have AC and it sucked!!!!

And a lot of people use FB and Twitter to just read things but not say anything at all.

I guess I should have bolded fireplace. We have adapted to rely on AC and heat, so a lot of people would do horribly without it and there always seem to be examples of poor people dying of heat stroke or freezing when their power is shut off.

15 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

A more apt analogy would be "would you be okay if your neighbor wanted to plug his printer into your electrical outlet to print off racist flyers?"  If you're okay with that, it's your right.  However, I'd tell my neighbor to GTFO, and I would feel 100% okay with that.

These people have the right to build their own websites and print hateful rhetoric with electricity they pay for.  They aren't guaranteed the the use of someone else's assets.