The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

40 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

I'm curious why Putin is attacking his own puppet and trying to make sure he loses reelection.  I don't understand how you flip the switch after nearly 4 years of saying that Putin and Trump are buddies and now say Putin is trying to start a war.

Trump thinks Putin is his buddy. No one has ever claimed the reverse. No one is doing what you're claiming. Anyone with a brain the past 4 years has assumed Putin is using Trump to accomplish Russia's goals. I doubt Putin thought he was going to get caught doing this particular thing. Give our Intelligence community a little credit for finding out. I'm actually surprised Putin hasn't invaded more of Ukraine or the other former Soviet countries, because he knows Trump will lay down for him like a good dog. Maybe that's his plan for the 2nd term. Everything Trump says/does with regards to Russia is a signal that the U.S. will not help those countries.

• Plus1 1

12 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

Take it up with the dictionary and wikipedia definition of what hate speech is and not me.  I posted a link to it but you didn't quote that part.

I'm not arguing that there isn't speech that his hateful toward others and that it's protected...I'm saying that the definition of hate speech according to authoritative sources (dictionary, wikipedia) is that violence is threatened against groups or individuals because of race, creed, religion, sex, orientation, etc.

That is the reason the subreddits spoken about were dissolved...their rights were not trampled on.  You incite violence against groups or individuals you lose your constitutional protection according to the supreme court.

Well, the Supreme Court defined hate speech differently, and that's all that really matters when we're talking about what is and isn't covered by the 1st Amendment.

Also, nothing about the 1st Amendment has anything to do with reddit and how they conduct their policies. No matter what anyone posts on reddit, they have no protection under the 1st Amendment as it only applies to the government and not private entities like reddit, so there were never any rights to be trampled.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Wouldn’t it be interesting if Trump was finally forced politically to public ally condemn Russia and Putin......and Putin finally releases the pee tapes. 

When Trump loses, Putin will have no use for him.  Good time for Putin to do it then as well.  Eventually the truth will come out.  Trump Inc is a house of cards - propped up by Russian money.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Wouldn’t it be interesting if Trump was finally forced politically to public ally condemn Russia and Putin......and Putin finally releases the pee tapes. 

meh...to me the "peepee" tapes are the left version of "butter Emails".

• Plus1 1
24 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Can you elaborate? Are you saying you think they exist but aren’t a big deal?

If so I disagree completely, because if they exist they’ve been used to blackmail him into doing their bidding. Although I think the $ he owes them is probably a bigger deal. 

27 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

There are two options here:

a)  They don't exist.

b)  He's using them as blackmail and that's why Trump is Putin's lap dog.

Now, I think there's a good chance they don't exist.  But...I can't think of a good reason why Trump is such a pushover to Putin.

Just now, Moiraine said:

Can you elaborate? Are you saying you think they exist but aren’t a big deal?

If so I disagree completely, because if they exist they’ve been used to blackmail him into doing their bidding. Although I think the $ he owes them is probably a bigger deal. 

I think that it/they exists (and perhaps were used to blackmail Trump in the beginning) but just like the entire Clinton email fiasco, it has long passed the point of relevance with regards to course of action that could/should be taken. 

• Plus1 1

The reporting on Afghanistan and the Russian bounties is quite clear: Putin knows Trump is preparing to withdraw troops from the area and is looking to expedite the process via the bounties. He wishes to assume the power vacuum we will leave behind.

In no way would anyone but an obstinate Trumpist view this as Putin antagonizing Trump. He's just exploiting him and looking to expand Russia's footprint.

Trump is a bad commander-in-chief. Very bad. Because he's not a serious person. Biden will do a much better job and especially vis-a-vis Russia. For all the foibles of Obama's approach to Russia, after it became clear the Russian Reset would not work, Obama always had clear eyes about who Putin actually was - an autocratic thug. He approached the situation correctly, just underestimated the amount of pressure that was needed to deal with him.

Trump doesn't even try to hold Putin to account. He thinks of him as a buddy, which is delusional.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

There are two options here:

a)  They don't exist.

b)  He's using them as blackmail and that's why Trump is Putin's lap dog.

Now, I think there's a good chance they don't exist.  But...I can't think of a good reason why Trump is such a pushover to Putin.

I think you have about the same view as I do. But, as I added above, their relevant factor is diminishing

1 minute ago, DevoHusker said:

I think that it/they exists (and perhaps were used to blackmail Trump in the beginning) but just like the entire Clinton email fiasco, it has long passed the point of relevance with regards to course of action that could/should be taken. 

K, I don’t agree at all. They are entirely different from each other. One was used as blackmail from a foreign government. The other was a mistake that so far we have no evidence caused any problems with foreign influence or spying. If the tapes exist they are extremely relevant as long as Trump is president because they show that the dossier was correct all along.

The two don’t really even belong in the same conversation. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

K, I don’t agree at all. They are entirely different from each other. One was ALLEGEDLY used as blackmail from a foreign government. The other was a mistake CONCEITED ACT that so far we have no evidence caused any problems with foreign influence or spying. If the tapes exist they are extremely relevant as long as Trump is president because they show that the dossier was correct all along.

The two don’t really even belong in the same conversation. 

My take on your take.