The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

8 minutes ago, knapplc said:

A former KGB officer, now the president of Russia, having leverage over the sitting American president, is not a big deal?

Wow, I've heard some rationalizing on this board before but that's a doozie. 

I tend to agree with Devo in that nobody really cares if there are pee tapes of Trump. The point is more that the pee tapes shouldn't really be leverage anymore.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I tend to agree with Devo in that nobody really cares if there are pee tapes of Trump. The point is more that the pee tapes shouldn't really be leverage anymore.

This doesn't make any sense. Why wouldn't they be leverage anymore?  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Plus1 1

While it would not be surprising at all the Putin has something he is holding over Trump as blackmail, I would think it would have to be something bigger and worse than the pee tapes. In comparison to every horrible thing that has already been proven about Trump, a tape of him watching prostitutes pee would hardly be a scandal at all.

If his blatant racism, gassing peaceful protesters, his pu$$y grabbing, locking children in cages, Stormy Daniels, his treason, and other abuses of power have already been exposed, who gives a crap about a pee tape? Whatever Putin has on him must be yuge and bigly.

• Plus1 2

13 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

You just conveyed it much more succinctly than I did, thanks.

8 minutes ago, knapplc said:

This doesn't make any sense. Why wouldn't they be leverage anymore?  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

uh oh, Knapp is breaking out the "shrugging emoji" 

40 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I think you have about the same view as I do. But, as I added above, their relevant factor is diminishing

The importance level is where we diverge in opinion.  If our President is being blackmailed by Russia, it's been extremely clear as to the moves Trump has taken (or not taken) because of it.  It's cost American lives and greatly diminished the confidence in our elections.

Another 4 years of this with Trump not needing to care about being reelected...could be disastrous.  

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

They're leverage if one specific person cares. And I guarantee he does. He's probably the most vain politician of my lifetime

True. I'm saying he shouldn't care as I doubt the American people will give a crap. Is anybody going to change their opinion on Trump because of some pee tape?

11 minutes ago, knapplc said:

If you think nobody cares that may be bubble-thinking. Plenty of people care.

Could be. Could also be you that's bubble-thinking.

• Plus1 1

13 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

It's only leverage if people care.

It's leverage because Trump's ego is the only thing that matters.  The pee tapes being released would be incredibly embarrassing to him.  It would be easy to see that he takes his ego over America, American soldier's lives and everything the American President SHOULD be believing is important.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

True. I'm saying he shouldn't care as I doubt the American people will give a crap. Is anybody going to change their opinion on Trump because of some pee tape?

It might influence how the smaller group of soft Trump voters decide to vote, separate from the 25-30% of hardcores who will never leave him. They've been abandoning him anyway but it would put us firmly in crushing landslide territory.

But there are distinct issues at play here.

1. Will it affect opinion of Trump (yes, albeit maybe not a huge group)

2. Does this or anything else adversaries have on Trump affect his decision-making? (almost assuredly IMO, and the much bigger issue)

6 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Sure. Do you need a list of the people who would care about this to show that I'm not thinking in a bubble?

And if I can list a bunch of people that don't care, then you'd see I'm not thinking in a bubble?

I'm not sure why this is such a controversial stance to take. If the pee tape came out, there'd be a bunch of memes and laughing, but it'd have little to no affect on the election.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

And if I can list a bunch of people that don't care, then you'd see I'm not thinking in a bubble?

I'm not sure why this is such a controversial stance to take. If the pee tape came out, there'd be a bunch of memes and laughing, but it'd have little to no affect on the election.

No, because people who don't care don't count in a discussion of people who do care. If anyone cares, the premise is shot.