The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

Good article by Axios noting what trump economic promises he has kept and those he has not in the past 3.5 years. 

2016 Promises

President Trump made lots of specific economic promises to voters during his 2016 campaign, but only fulfilled some of them before the pandemic plunged America into recession.

Why it matters: Trump's economic record and promises for future prosperity will be front and center during this week's Republican National Convention.

And now the admin lays out their 2nd term agenda -  Axios goes into detail on each aspect

2020 Promises

The Trump campaign on Sunday released a 49-point wishlist for President Trump's second term on the eve of the Republican National Convention.

Why it matters: It comes after Trump has repeatedly struggled to detail what his second term might look like, which has both frustrated and worried top Republicans and left critics questioning whether he even had an agenda.

• The campaign, and Trump himself, plans to promote this agenda, which focuses heavily on ending America's reliance on China and promises a coronavirus vaccine by the end of 2020, throughout the convention.
  • A key criticism of the Democratic National Convention last week is that the Biden campaign failed to substantively lay out the policies Joe Biden would implement if president. Instead, the convention focused heavily on Biden's character.
  • The Trump campaign plans to draw a sharp contrast with that approach, focusing on how these policies could shape America.

The big picture: The document lays out 10 broad priorities that Trump will focus on if re-elected, but it fails to detail any specifics — making it read more like a wishlist.

• Worth noting: Trump would need a Congress willing to pass these policy objectives.

•  
21 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

And now the admin lays out their 2nd term agenda -  Axios goes into detail on each aspect

2020 Promises

Here's the actual list:

It's a little rich that some are criticizing Democrats for not diving into deep detail on policy specifics. Meanwhile, Republicans promise these gems:

• Expand Opportunity Zones
  • Return to normal in 2021
  • Hold China fully accountable for COVID
  • Protect Social Security and Medicare
  • Provide school choice to every child in America
  • Teach American Exceptionalism
  • End Bureaucratic bullying
  • Bring ANTIFA to justice
  • Launch Space Force
  • Build the World's Greatest Infrastructure System

This is about as serious a list as Trump's press briefings.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Here's the actual list:

It's a little rich that some are criticizing Democrats for not diving into deep detail on policy specifics. Meanwhile, Republicans promise these gems:

• Launch Space Force

Also has he not been president the last 4 years. Glad he's gonna get started in 2021. Don't wanna be TOO ambitious. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Here's the actual list:

• Launch Space Force

Establish a permanent manned presence on the moon? WTF?

2 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Here's the actual list:

• Expand Opportunity Zones (OK)
  • Return to normal in 2021 (ummm.....who was President when it became not normal?)
  • Hold China fully accountable for COVID  (always got to blame someone else)
  • Protect Social Security and Medicare (But your proposals threaten these)
  • Provide school choice to every child in America (really???  Every child???  Or...just the white ones?)
  • Teach American Exceptionalism  (I'll comment below on this one)
  • End Bureaucratic bullying (Is this a promise from your administration?)
  • Bring ANTIFA to justice (for what?)
  • Launch Space Force (:facepalm::laughpound:facepalm:  Just stop)
  • Build the World's Greatest Infrastructure System  (Wasn't this supposed to happen in the last 4 years?)

Now...for the bolded point.  Boy...I've grown to really cringe when I read that.  And...I shouldn't have to.

I do think the US is a great country and Americans are great people that we all should be able to be proud of.  BUT...that doesn't make us all and our country less deserving of criticism and need for change.  

This is nothing but code for...."if you don't like it here...leave"  Which is the most pathetic statement uttered in politics.  America has been changing since the day it was created.  It changes because the population WANTS it to change and not one party or group is immune to those desires to have it change.

My GOD the Republican party has fallen so far.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Now...for the bolded point.  Boy...I've grown to really cringe when I read that.  And...I shouldn't have to.

I do think the US is a great country and Americans are great people that we all should be able to be proud of.  BUT...that doesn't make us all and our country less deserving of criticism and need for change.  

This is nothing but code for...."if you don't like it here...leave"  Which is the most pathetic statement uttered in politics.  America has been changing since the day it was created.  It changes because the population WANTS it to change and not one party or group is immune to those desires to have it change.

My GOD the Republican party has fallen so far.

:thumbs:horns:clap:yeah

I suspect we will hear a lot of this during the convention.  They will paint the Dem conv as doom and glum (because they traffic in reality) and the GOP convention will be all hype and good cheers (because they traffic in fantasy).   

44 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

It's a little rich that some are criticizing Democrats for not diving into deep detail on policy specifics.

It's possible to criticize both the Dems for their lack of policy AND criticize the Repubs/Trump for their even worse lack of policy. The Repubs sucking at something doesn't make the Dems good at it nor vice versa.

• Thanks 2
40 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

It's possible to criticize both the Dems for their lack of policy AND criticize the Repubs/Trump for their even worse lack of policy. The Repubs sucking at something doesn't make the Dems good at it nor vice versa.

Yeah that's fair. I just think the double standard is a bit much at this point. You ought to know this well. Every time one of Sanders' proposals was brought up in the debate the first word out of the questioner was how he was going to pay for it.

Meanwhile, the GOP initially ignores a platform altogether and ultimately puts out a list some staffer could've drawn up in crayon on a napkin and they will not face similar scrutiny because if they ask Trump about it he'll just pull more stuff out of his butt about how it's two weeks away and many people say it's the best policy slate ever thunk up.

Anywho, I continue to think deep dives into policy isn't an effective way to win over most voters. But time will tell. It may be more effective for younger voters than their parents and grandparents.

• Plus1 1