The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

6 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

I'll be curious to see if Trump gets any kind of bounce at all either. I'm not sure he won't actually get the opposite, as generally when he gets extended airtime in front of the country his numbers suffer.

Tonight has been interesting, though. The president's apparently coked-up son and his girlfriend screaming at an empty room about how awesome Daddy is.

Only with Trump can one sincerely boast approval ratings have "surged to 40%."

• Haha 1

My oh My how the GOP has changed since the time of Reagan.   From Morning in America to doom and gloom.  That was one ugly, dark show last night and I didn't see the whole thing....  thankfully.   Trump has placed his full stamp on the GOP.  It is now officially a cult - highlighting the cult leader at every opportunity.   When he 'interviewed' those 'ordinary' Americans - 6-8 postal workers, nurses, teacher, truck drivers - I thought they were about to bow down to him in worship.

Jeff Jordan - painted the Dems as just a 1/2 step below Stalin and Mao

The ST Louis gun pointing couple - red meat, scare tactics,  out of touch with reality.  They appeared to be the Queen and King of all things alt right.  These people are accused felons now.

Guilfoyle  - my goodness, I've never seen something so disgustingly bad on a national stage.  It was torture to watch. 

This convention is going to be nothing but a worship service to tRump.  He has to inject himself every night, He cannot share the spot light, it is all about him.  It isn't about the GOP or the GOP platform (there isn't one) as the GOP is now non-existent.  The evidence is clear to see - this is fully a Cult movement.  I saw nothing redemptive, nothing healing, nothing to bring our country together in the cult worship service last night.   Last night was all about red meat: fear, demagoguery, and control - pressuring the weak in mind to stay in the cult and not stray out into the dark night - for only Trump can save us, only Trump can fix our world for he is the 'bodyguard' of all of western civilization.    

"Therefore let him who thinks he stands take heed that he does not fall".  1Corithians 10:12 (BTW: that is first Corithians not One Corithians Mr Trump)   May Trump's political fall on Nov 3 be swift and deep - leaving no doubt. 

As a side note - I was watching on PBS - a couple of times I thought one or two of commentators were going to break out laughing at

some of the stupidly they were witnessing.

• Fire 1
57 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

I dunno, Reagan was as racists, if not more, than Trump is

:dis   Sounds like you've read some misleading articles.  The racist claim is typically built around 2 events - the Nixon conversation, & his speech in Mississippi.   I doubt you have studied Reagan as much as I have - and that isn't meant as a 'put down' either.   Here is a more  balanced article on the subject.  Reagan was no saint but I can state with confidence that he was not a racist. 

https://www.empirestatetribune.com/est/9/20/2019/icftk92oxa4yg44yrq2or32z4d3vey

and another

https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article233462777.html

• Plus1 2

19 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

:dis   Sounds like you've read some misleading articles.  The racist claim is typically built around 2 events - the Nixon conversation, & his speech in Mississippi.   I doubt you have studied Reagan as much as I have - and that isn't meant as a 'put down' either.   Here is a more  balanced article on the subject.  Reagan was no saint but I can state with confidence that he was not a racist. 

https://www.empirestatetribune.com/est/9/20/2019/icftk92oxa4yg44yrq2or32z4d3vey

and another

https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article233462777.html

I don't know. Private, or what you think to be private, conversations tend to lead more forthcoming on how an individual thinks/feels. I am sure you have studied him more than a lot of others, but I think this puts a lot of mud into pretty choppy waters policy wise. 

Being smart enough to not write vitriol and have black family members doesn't really exonerate people. 

1 hour ago, BlitzFirst said:

I dunno, Reagan was as racists, if not more, than Trump is.  So, I'd argue that the party hasn't changed a whole heckuva a lot other than being more in the open about things.

Yep. For all the talk about Trump leading the party astray, the GOP has generally been thrilled with what they've managed to get away with under Trump. We can talk about a bygone era of gentility and respect, but the policies have always been cruel. 

• Plus1 1