The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

1 minute ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

It's obv not a major turning point like one rogue cop in Minnesota, but otoh you cannot just disregard all the day to day news bits because each one is individually minor.  The drip-drip-drip of Hilary's emails, the Bernie Bros walkout at the Convention, basket of deplorables, paying male staffers much more than females, her basically fainting at a rare speech: and probably 20 forgotten others: all wood-peckered away at her image.  Until by election day she people felt she was just another politician.

The press bears a HUGE burden for this. Trump commits an atrocity a day, but they graded him on a curve in 2016 and still do to this day, despite his bluster & crying about 'presidential harassment.'

"Grab 'em by the pu&&y" would have generated such howls of outrage for literally any other candidate in history that it would have sunk his campaign. Gary Hart's campaign was ended by one photo and a boat named "Monkey Business." Swift Boat ended it for John Kerry. For Trump, nothing mattered. The press still treated him like a novelty - and still does. 

So did all of those things about Hillary happen? Yes, definitely. The fainting spell & return to immaculate health a couple hours later really jarred me, for example. And you didn't even list everything about her campaign that troubled people. But every thing she did, big & little, was just amplified. 

The emails was the craziest thing. Trump & all of his cronies all use private email servers, and have throughout his term, and nobody cares. NOBODY! It's not even a minor story! It's just bonkers that the press - and specifically the New York Times - dedicated so much coverage to it. 

But the thing is, Trump has way more charisma than Hillary. She's just a genuinely weird and unlikable person. Trump - odious as he is - has that smoovy charm to him. And it works for some people. Almost everyone just held their nose to vote for Hillary.

• Plus1 3

4 hours ago, knapplc said:

I want to meet this voter who, after not voting for Trump in 2016 and experiencing four years of Trump, is now going to vote for Trump because Hillary said don't concede. 

Those aren't the voters to be concerned about. What about the voter who voted for Trump in 2016 because they disliked Hillary more than they disliked Trump? Those voters existed.

My question is, what earthly good does it do Joe Biden for her to open her yap about anything? That's the point. It does absolutely no good and is potentially detrimental. Y'all should trust some people who are a bit further right and understand those folks maybe a tad bit better.

• Plus1 4
2 hours ago, knapplc said:

The press bears a HUGE burden for this. Trump commits an atrocity a day, but they graded him on a curve in 2016 and still do to this day, despite his bluster & crying about 'presidential harassment.'

"Grab 'em by the pu&&y" would have generated such howls of outrage for literally any other candidate in history that it would have sunk his campaign. Gary Hart's campaign was ended by one photo and a boat named "Monkey Business." Swift Boat ended it for John Kerry. For Trump, nothing mattered. The press still treated him like a novelty - and still does. 

So did all of those things about Hillary happen? Yes, definitely. The fainting spell & return to immaculate health a couple hours later really jarred me, for example. And you didn't even list everything about her campaign that troubled people. But every thing she did, big & little, was just amplified. 

The emails was the craziest thing. Trump & all of his cronies all use private email servers, and have throughout his term, and nobody cares. NOBODY! It's not even a minor story! It's just bonkers that the press - and specifically the New York Times - dedicated so much coverage to it. 

But the thing is, Trump has way more charisma than Hillary. She's just a genuinely weird and unlikable person. Trump - odious as he is - has that smoovy charm to him. And it works for some people. Almost everyone just held their nose to vote for Hillary.

Well Trump's offensive sound byte on an Access Hollywood tape wasn't any more offensive than the one on that gold star Father or Rosie O'Donnell, or Leona Helmsley, etc etc.  The difference between them an Hilary is authenticity.  None of those things changed Trump's image because it already was always the brash New Yorker who speaks his mind.  The Clintons were the focus-group politicians Hilary was always on the teleprompter.  To my knowledge she never really owned any of the knocks against her.

Until now; after 2016 she seems to figured out that the American people want a rougher more direct truthy voice  as an alternative to the institutional inanities we hear every hour.   You're a little late Hilary.

2 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Well Trump's offensive sound byte on an Access Hollywood tape wasn't any more offensive than the one on that gold star Father or Rosie O'Donnell, or Leona Helmsley, etc etc.  The difference between them an Hilary is authenticity.  None of those things changed Trump's image because it already was always the brash New Yorker who speaks his mind.  The Clintons were the focus-group politicians Hilary was always on the teleprompter.  To my knowledge she never really owned any of the knocks against her.

Until now; after 2016 she seems to figured out that the American people want a rougher more direct truthy voice  as an alternative to the institutional inanities we hear every hour.   You're a little late Hilary.

Hillary was pretty tough to cheer for, I get.  But why all the Clinton hate from the right? I honestly don’t know.  

3 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Those aren't the voters to be concerned about. What about the voter who voted for Trump in 2016 because they disliked Hillary more than they disliked Trump? Those voters existed.

My question is, what earthly good does it do Joe Biden for her to open her yap about anything? That's the point. It does absolutely no good and is potentially detrimental. Y'all should trust some people who are a bit further right and understand those folks maybe a tad bit better.

Hillary just wants to be relevant. Got to be difficult to sit on the sidelines and have no power or voice this time around. I agree she needs to close it so that trump can’t smear Biden with Hillary words 

• Plus1 1
26 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Hillary was pretty tough to cheer for, I get.  But why all the Clinton hate from the right? I honestly don’t know.  

I still think she was a terrible candidate I think the hate goes back to Clinton winning in 92 and that stopped the Reagan revolution. After that theGOP machine went to work wt one conspiracy after another. I know as I ate it up at the time. In retrospective Bill ended up being a decent -by today’s standards-president. Hillary could have been if she had 1/2 a personality. 

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I still think she was a terrible candidate I think the hate goes back to Clinton winning in 92 and that stopped the Reagan revolution. After that theGOP machine went to work wt one conspiracy after another. I know as I ate it up at the time. In retrospective Bill ended up being a decent -by today’s standards-president. Hillary could have been if she had 1/2 a personality. 

This is all not necessarily not true, but going back to Bill's tenure, Hillary was plastic and weird and she never really got better.

AVeLN2Z.gif

atzCwwW.gif

zszzkCn.gif

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Wait...I thought it was because she was a woman. 

It wasn't NOT because she's a woman. There's certainly some misogyny at play there. But I think, especially after electing a Black president twice, those issues weren't the most prevalent anymore.

She's just not a good person.

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, knapplc said:

This is all not necessarily not true, but going back to Bill's tenure, Hillary was plastic and weird and she never really got better.

AVeLN2Z.gif

atzCwwW.gif

zszzkCn.gif

It's like she's an alien that observed what humans are supposed to act like by only watching politicians while they are pandering and then tried to act that way.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
26 minutes ago, knapplc said:

It wasn't NOT because she's a woman. There's certainly some misogyny at play there. But I think, especially after electing a Black president twice, those issues weren't the most prevalent anymore.

She's just not a good person.

That’s my feelings too. 

I know there was some sexism. But, that’s not why she lost.