The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

12 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Plausible theory from the adult stutterer community.  Apparently there are well known triggers for stutterers, even in adulthood when they've generally overcome the condition. Although Trump's behavior wasn't exactly out of character, his aggressiveness, interrupting and repetitive personal attacks would qualify as strategic for someone who wanted to induce stuttering in an opponent, a great way to make him look weak and indecisive, or to conflate into dementia. 

Who knows. Trump's a s#!theel regardless. And Joe really doesn't know how to fight back. 

I’m not sure I agree with your last statement.  

Joe needs to be the adult in the room and that’s what’s he did. 

13 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Middle class Americans who have to suffer the ills of liberal policies that Biden himself is exempt from.  

This guy, who is currently President, could not have been more clear about his willingness to gut the middle class to the benefit of the ruling class than what he spelled out in his tax reform bill. He waves a flag and a Bible and hopes you won't read  the fine print.

So yeah. There's some class warfare going on. What makes you think this guy is on the side of average Americans, who are notorious losers? 

291673526_TrumpPenthouse.jpg.3b3a53b3f765ed6f29977329a316ac58.jpg

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1
3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I’m not sure I agree with your last statement.  

Joe needs to be the adult in the room and that’s what’s he did. 

Joe survived the debate , generally avoided the bait., and won by not looking as insane and dangerous as Trump. I don't think he played Trump at all or lured him into any trap that Trump wasn't happy to ignore. Joe had a handful of good moments, but missed so many opportunities to challenge Trump more forcefully rather than fall back on tired platitudes. That face-to-face moment is rare, and I think Biden is lucky Trump let his a$$h@!e flag fly and ended the debate threatening to ignore election results and call out his white supremacist defenders. Chris Wallace actually did a better job of defending Biden than Biden did. 

33 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Joe survived the debate , generally avoided the bait., and won by not looking as insane and dangerous as Trump. I don't think he played Trump at all or lured him into any trap that Trump wasn't happy to ignore. Joe had a handful of good moments, but missed so many opportunities to challenge Trump more forcefully rather than fall back on tired platitudes. That face-to-face moment is rare, and I think Biden is lucky Trump let his a$$h@!e flag fly and ended the debate threatening to ignore election results and call out his white supremacist defenders. Chris Wallace actually did a better job of defending Biden than Biden did. 

I remember him hammering him on the following:

Handling of Covid

Disrespecting the military

Tax cuts for the rich

Lying to the public

I'm sure there's more but this is just off the top of my head.

He wanted to talk about policies.  But, Trump constantly would talk over him so he couldn't.  From your reaction, I guess that strategy worked.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

Yeah, I don't know if had that planned or not but it was pretty much a perfect move.

It was a move initiated by Chris Wallace. A surprisingly direct move. Wallace was not partial, nor should he have been. Donald Trump has more to answer for and behaved far more disruptively than Biden. The final minutes of the debate were designed by Wallace to expose Trump:  the President won't accept election results if he loses, and he will encourage his supporters, including white supremacists, to police the polls, and possibly send the election to the Supreme Court he just stacked. That was the kill shot, and Joe Biden didn't need to say a thing.

I don't think people wanted a breakdown of issues and policy proposals, which tend to be vague and aspirational anyway. Joe brought bullet points to a knife fight. I think many other candidates -- including Joe's choice of Vice-President -- would have  confronted Trump better while maintaining their dignity.  Biden won, but it still felt more like default to me. 

Enough people see through the non-denial denials that they legit have to worry.

But at this point, Trump should just bluntly say that he disavows and denounces all white supremacists, and name groups by name, specifically. He's spent years playing games with endorsing them in sly terms. They know who and what he is, and they would know what a denouncement of them is - a politically necessary move during an election.

It would work on the poorly-educated, though. They'd hear that soundbyte and praise him for it.

It's too bad for trump that it's not in his nature to do such a thing. 

• Plus1 1