The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

Yang lost me with his defense of the elctoral college yesterday.  

And I looked, sounds like only 9 total states went after Herbalife.  

Edit: but I think they are a CA company, so not sure why one state would go after them and not others other than the of people impacted (for instance NY had the most “clubs” where they recruited people) and more people recruited.  

9 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

An overview of Harris, Booker & Buttigeig ... only 24 mins in length (I'm about half way thru, but it seems to be a good snapshot of some major topics for each candidate)

Will you right up a summary paper for all of us.  I'm too lazy:P

• Harris - against the death penalty.  Would abolish it in the US if she was POTUS.   Confident, talkative, laughing and stayed on longer than her staff wanted, speculation that she would kill it during debates because she is assertive and will fight to answer.
  • Booker - would not get rid of fillibuster, would work across the aisle - went to a farm where the owner voted for Trump and made corny jokes
  • Butigeig - you must be serious about your morals and values and be able to communicate that, especially in the midwest - there are voters who voted for Obama, then Trump and voted for him and he understands he has to appeal to them.  Calm, confident.  If it was radio or newspaper campaign many think he'd win (lots of substance) but on tv he looks young.  Recognizes that the "burn it down" voting for Trump was because Dems were stagnant and instead of focusing on what Dems could do, they focused on what Trump was saying and refuting it.  Need to be forward thinking and not sticking with what has worked for the party in the past (ignoring the need to change obviously helped elect Trump)

(I was at the Butigeig section when you asked for a recap, so it's lengthier - but it was also meatier, Harris and Booker sounded like soundbites, Booker especially)

Warren, Sanders and Klobacher are tomorrow.

• Plus1 2

Also, I haven't seen it anywhere today, but heard that there are rumbles that Joe announces his candidacy and at the same time announces that his VP is Stacy Abrams from GA.  He's supposedly talked to her a bunch of late.  Unique to pick running mate too early, but that it would lock up south, rust belt, minorities and swing voters that think he brings stability and young voters that she resonated with.  

Something to watch for I guess, I feel like they'd be tough to beat.

• Plus1 1

51 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

Also, I haven't seen it anywhere today, but heard that there are rumbles that Joe announces his candidacy and at the same time announces that his VP is Stacy Abrams from GA.  He's supposedly talked to her a bunch of late.  Unique to pick running mate too early, but that it would lock up south, rust belt, minorities and swing voters that think he brings stability and young voters that she resonated with.  

I really like her from what I've seen so far. He definitely needs someone young and she's 45.

• Plus1 1

Stacey Abrams would be amazing. She's absolutely a wonderful, dynamic speaker and was eminently qualified to have been Governor of Georgia if not for rampant, blatant voter suppression and dirty tricks by her opponent, who administered the election.

I know Schumer really, really wants her to take another crack at a GA Senate seat next year, but she'd be a fantastic VP pick for Biden. It'd be really fun watching her debate Pence.

• Plus1 1
20 hours ago, NM11046 said:
  • Harris - against the death penalty.  Would abolish it in the US if she was POTUS.   Confident, talkative, laughing and stayed on longer than her staff wanted, speculation that she would kill it during debates because she is assertive and will fight to answer.
  • Booker - would not get rid of fillibuster, would work across the aisle - went to a farm where the owner voted for Trump and made corny jokes
  • Butigeig - you must be serious about your morals and values and be able to communicate that, especially in the midwest - there are voters who voted for Obama, then Trump and voted for him and he understands he has to appeal to them.  Calm, confident.  If it was radio or newspaper campaign many think he'd win (lots of substance) but on tv he looks young.  Recognizes that the "burn it down" voting for Trump was because Dems were stagnant and instead of focusing on what Dems could do, they focused on what Trump was saying and refuting it.  Need to be forward thinking and not sticking with what has worked for the party in the past (ignoring the need to change obviously helped elect Trump)

(I was at the Butigeig section when you asked for a recap, so it's lengthier - but it was also meatier, Harris and Booker sounded like soundbites, Booker especially)

Warren, Sanders and Klobacher are tomorrow.

Thanks - I figured that Butigeig would show more depth.    He just seems to be that kind of guy.

16 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

Stacey Abrams would be amazing. She's absolutely a wonderful, dynamic speaker and was eminently qualified to have been Governor of Georgia if not for rampant, blatant voter suppression and dirty tricks by her opponent, who administered the election.

I know Schumer really, really wants her to take another crack at a GA Senate seat next year, but she'd be a fantastic VP pick for Biden. It'd be really fun watching her debate Pence.

Well Uncle Joe Plugs Biden needs a good answer for his age and that answer MAY be a young running mate who can draw voters to him from that younger demographic - but I think it should be a general election choice and not a primary choice.   Personally, I think it could back fire like McCain's choice of Palin.  Not because Abrams is Palin like, but it will look like Uncle Joe isn't able to stand against the changes in the party wtout outside support during the primary season.  McCain tried to use Palin to shore up support of what should have been automatic - the conservatives in the party.  The choice of Palin only magnified McCain's lack of support in the conservative wing of the party.  I think the same will occur wt Joe.

• Plus1 1
20 hours ago, NM11046 said:

This seems really odd, if true.   Normally you don't announce your running mate until after you win the nomination.   I don't know much about Stacy, outside of the one speech she gave.  I thought she nailed it.   

2 hours ago, sho said:

This seems really odd, if true.   Normally you don't announce your running mate until after you win the nomination.   I don't know much about Stacy, outside of the one speech she gave.  I thought she nailed it.   

A VP or President one speech does not make.  Regardless she may be on the short list of several potential nominees VP list

2 hours ago, sho said:

The weird thing about it, if it’s weird, isn’t Biden doing it. It’s her agreeing to it. It would make more sense to wait and see who the winner might be.

• Plus1 1
On 3/19/2019 at 7:25 AM, DevoHusker said:

I know it is from the article TGH...

but "nation's largest State" is a bit misleading. Anyone heard of Texas or Alaska? I understand it has the largest population, but that attitude is exactly why there are those of us who view anything that comes out of California with disdain and suspicion.

Huh?  So you think Alaska should exert more influence because of its square footage? Wouldn't that be a stranger attitude?

California may seem nuts in a lot of ways, but one of the "things that come out of California" is the agriculture, technology and entertainment that drives the American economy and bails out a lot of states that take more than they give. 

• Plus1 2

I want to be enthused about a Biden nomination/run/presidency because he's always seemed charismatic and personable and attentive, but those videos of him being really creepily handsy with so many little girls still leave me with a bad taste in my mouth.

• Plus1 1