The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

40 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Can we talk about how sad Giuliani's legacy is now?

He went from America's mayor to corrupt mob lawyer in the blink of an eye.

The more I think about this, the more and more I'm absolutely disgusted with this.

Our sitting President is sending his personal lawyer to a foreign country asking them to spy on Americans.

WTF?????

• Plus1 2
14 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Only saw this tweet because Warren took issue with it.

What is Chase thinking though? Ya, a lot of people are bad with personal finance. But it's probably not a good idea for a credit card company to be posting this.

D5WIQuVXsAEjbz2.png

It's also self-serving that a bank wants you to deposit more money with them. Plus, it's ridiculous as Katie Porter shows in this exchange with the head of Chase:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/10/politics/katie-porter-jamie-dimon-bank-employees/index.html

14 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Only saw this tweet because Warren took issue with it.

What is Chase thinking though? Ya, a lot of people are bad with personal finance. But it's probably not a good idea for a credit card company to be posting this.

D5WIQuVXsAEjbz2.png

While Chase's tweet is a bit cringe worthy, the message isn't necessarily wrong. Warren's response of "Americans just need to be paid more" seems a bit myopic.

Ultimately I think they're both right. Yes, Americans do need to be paid more, but they also need to make smarter financial decisions. 

• Plus1 2

3 minutes ago, Fru said:

While Chase's tweet is a bit cringe worthy, the message isn't necessarily wrong. Warren's response of "Americans just need to be paid more" seems a bit myopic.

Ultimately I think they're both right. Yes, Americans do need to be paid more, but they also need to make smarter financial decisions. 

The tweet is implying that anyone with an empty/low bank account balance has it because they waste money, which is far from the truth. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

The tweet is implying that anyone with an empty/low bank account balance has it because they waste money, which is far from the truth. 

Americans do waste money.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/07/the-top-10-ways-americans-waste-money.html

https://thefinancialdiet.com/10-things-americans-waste-money-on-that-i-cant-understand/

https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/09/01/the-20-biggest-ways-americans-waste-money.aspx

People buy as much house as a bank approves them for, when far less would do just fine. People buy a $5 Starbucks coffee every day before work. People buy things they don't need all the time and are struggling financially because of it. Now, is that the case for everyone? No. Of course not. But let's not act like Americans don't consume needlessly either. 

Like I said, the tweet was cringe worthy. But the message of living a more cost effective lifestyle, isn't inherently wrong. 

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Fru said:

Americans do waste money.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/07/the-top-10-ways-americans-waste-money.html

https://thefinancialdiet.com/10-things-americans-waste-money-on-that-i-cant-understand/

https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/09/01/the-20-biggest-ways-americans-waste-money.aspx

People buy as much house as a bank approves them for, when far less would do just fine. People buy a $5 Starbucks coffee every day before work. People buy things they don't need all the time and are struggling financially because of it. Now, is that the case for everyone? No. Of course not. But let's not act like Americans don't consume needlessly either. 

Like I said, the tweet was cringe worthy. But the message of living a more cost effective lifestyle, isn't inherently wrong. 

I wasn’t arguing that Americans don’t waste $. Chase implied anyone with a low balance does. I didn’t say or imply that the opposite is true.

FWIW I didn’t eyeroll you. I think we must have an eyeroll spammer who’s bored today.

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I wasn’t arguing that Americans don’t waste $. Chase implied anyone with a low balance does. I didn’t say or imply that the opposite is true.

FWIW I didn’t eyeroll you. I think we must have an eyeroll spammer who’s bored today.

Right, that's why I said it was cringey. I just felt what Chase said wasn't inherently wrong in their message (Chase being a worthy messenger is another story). But admittedly, the tweet resonated with me positively. I used to buy a lunch every day on my lunch hour from work. When I started packing my own lunch, I saved hundreds each month. One simple change has ultimately saved me thousands. That's the message I took from the tweet. 

Warren saying that people just need to be paid more is myopic. Yes, Americans do need to be paid more. BUT. Most Americans are financially illiterate, and more money isn't going to suddenly make people more responsible. We've seemingly been conditioned to be content living on credit and paying monthly minimums. The reason for this is another story as well. Looking back, I'm perplexed as to why I had to have 4 years of Spanish thru high school, but a personal finance class was never required. 

The eyerolls don't bother me. If someone wants to do that without quoting me and engaging in a dialogue, that just tells me they have nothing worthy to contribute 

5 minutes ago, Fru said:

Right, that's why I said it was cringey. I just felt what Chase said wasn't inherently wrong in their message (Chase being a worthy messenger is another story). But admittedly, the tweet resonated with me positively. I used to buy a lunch every day on my lunch hour from work. When I started packing my own lunch, I saved hundreds each month. One simple change has ultimately saved me thousands. That's the message I took from the tweet. 

Warren saying that people just need to be paid more is myopic. Yes, Americans do need to be paid more. BUT. Most Americans are financially illiterate, and more money isn't going to suddenly make people more responsible. We've seemingly been conditioned to be content living on credit and paying monthly minimums. The reason for this is another story as well. Looking back, I'm perplexed as to why I had to have 4 years of Spanish thru high school, but a personal finance class was never required. 

The eyerolls don't bother me. If someone wants to do that without quoting me and engaging in a dialogue, that just tells me they have nothing worthy to contribute 

tbh I didn’t read her response. We do need to be paid more but a lot of people are bad with $.

I guess I see no problem with a credit card company telling people they need to spend wisely. It seems to me anyone complaining about that is looking for a reason to complain. 

Cc companies get criticized for motivating people to spend too much. Now one is telling people to be wise and they get criticized. 

Do they really need to add a political message about American’s income?

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I guess I see no problem with a credit card company telling people they need to spend wisely. It seems to me anyone complaining about that is looking for a reason to complain. 

Cc companies get criticized for motivating people to spend too much. Now one is telling people to be wise and they get criticized. 

Do they really need to add a political message about American’s income?

To add, I read it as the bank account was "telling" the spender to stop spending money on those things.  Meaning it was directed at people who do buy a $5 cup of coffee everyday; who do go out to eat for $10 everyday, or do spend $25 on a short cab ride, and then complain that they don't have any money.

Notice it didn't say "stop getting sick and paying for dr. bills", "stop paying for overpriced childcare", "stop buying groceries", etc...

36 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Really happy to see Yang able to make the debates.   I think once a lot of people get to hear his message and his reasoning I think his popularity will rise within the party.

1 minute ago, sho said:

Really happy to see Yang able to make the debates.   I think once a lot of people get to hear his message and his reasoning I think his popularity will rise within the party.

I doubt it. He's a libertarian running in the Dem primary. While I'm glad to see a diversity of opinions and policies, I'm not sure what group of voters would be his base. Also, bravo to Yang being one of the only candidates with ideas and policies instead of platitudes.