The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

18 hours ago, RedDenver said:

I doubt it. He's a libertarian running in the Dem primary. While I'm glad to see a diversity of opinions and policies, I'm not sure what group of voters would be his base. Also, bravo to Yang being one of the only candidates with ideas and policies instead of platitudes.

The group of voters who like ideas and policies instead of platitudes. 

1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

The group of voters who like ideas and policies instead of platitudes.  

But I mean he's got essentially one issue.

I like that he's talking about the issue. But single-issue candidates are dead in the water at the presidential level. He's going to have to develop some type of coherent foreign policy and explain how UBI would affect other federal programs like Medicare or Social Security.

• Plus1 2
15 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

But I mean he's got essentially one issue.

I like that he's talking about the issue. But single-issue candidates are dead in the water at the presidential level. He's going to have to develop some type of coherent foreign policy and explain how UBI would affect other federal programs like Medicare or Social Security.

https://www.yang2020.com/policies/

I beg to differ. He is most famous for UBI, but he has policy for days. There is alot more to Yang than the freedom dividend.

2 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

I beg to differ. He is most famous for UBI, but he has policy for days. There is alot more to Yang than the freedom dividend.

Cool, thanks.

Much like Clinton 2016 though, he's going to be accused of having no policy chops if he doesn't find a way to message this stuff better.

2 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

The site claims 3 big policies: UBI, Medicare-for-All, and Human-Centered Capitalism.

But the "Human-Centered Capitalism" isn't a policy as it proposes no solutions just vague ideas. And given that virtually every candidate has backed some form of M4A, and that Bernie is the champion of that policy, that really only leaves UBI.

Yang has a ton of other links under those three main ones, but I've never heard him talk about any of them.

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, RedDenver said:

The site claims 3 big policies: UBI, Medicare-for-All, and Human-Centered Capitalism.

But the "Human-Centered Capitalism" isn't a policy as it proposes no solutions just vague ideas. And given that virtually every candidate has backed some form of M4A, and that Bernie is the champion of that policy, that really only leaves UBI.

Yang has a ton of other links under those three main ones, but I've never heard him talk about any of them.

I've heard Yang touch on some other policies when asked but I think with the UBI being his main idea and such an attention getter thats all he gets asked about. I think in a debate setting he will shine on policy. His interview with Ben Shapiro showed me how versed he is on his platform and I think he will have an answer for just about any question. At this point he seems very prepared, though I agree he needs to work on messaging. But given how far he has come in a relatively short amount of time, maybe he has it figured out more than we think. He was smart to go on all of the big youtube podcasts.

9 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

I've heard Yang touch on some other policies when asked but I think with the UBI being his main idea and such an attention getter thats all he gets asked about. I think in a debate setting he will shine on policy. His interview with Ben Shapiro showed me how versed he is on his platform and I think he will have an answer for just about any question. At this point he seems very prepared, though I agree he needs to work on messaging. But given how far he has come in a relatively short amount of time, maybe he has it figured out more than we think. He was smart to go on all of the big youtube podcasts.

I think he's an interesting candidate, and he could definitely make some waves in the debates. Going on to podcasts, or any exposure for that matter, is a good idea especially for the candidates without the name recognition. But his big idea is to use regressive taxes to pay people, which I don't think is going to catch on with Dem voters. We'll have to wait and see.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

I think he's an interesting candidate, and he could definitely make some waves in the debates. Going on to podcasts, or any exposure for that matter, is a good idea especially for the candidates without the name recognition. But his big idea is to use regressive taxes to pay people, which I don't think is going to catch on with Dem voters. We'll have to wait and see.

Thats fair enough, I just don't see him as a one trick pony.

On 5/11/2019 at 1:56 PM, RedDenver said:

In an interview he's done, either on Joe Rogan or on TopHat podcast, he explained more in depth about his human capital agenda.   He basically wants to update GDP to include societal improvements, not just business related.  Things like physical and mental health, education success with kids in all economic sectors, environmental improvements, lack of substance abuse.  Also this article touches on it as well.

Yang cited what he called human-centered capitalism as an important metric for measuring the economy.

"I'd like to talk about my wife, who is home with our two children, one of whom is autistic," he said. "GDP would include her work at zero when we know it's the opposite of the truth. So we need to start measuring things that actually indicate how we're doing — things like health, mental health and freedom from substance abuse, childhood success rates, clean air and clean water, and other social indicators."

https://thehill.com/hilltv/rising/435317-andrew-yang-as-president-i-will-update-gdp-for-the-21st-century

And give tax breaks and incentives to those that improve GDP with the new human capital focus

Also, he's not really for the same plan of M4A as Bernie.   He wants to keep the private sector going but expand medicaid to allow cover majority, if not al;.  He does admit this would eliminate majority of the private sector but his studies show a handful will continue to compete in the market. 

1 hour ago, sho said:

In an interview he's done, either on Joe Rogan or on TopHat podcast, he explained more in depth about his human capital agenda.   He basically wants to update GDP to include societal improvements, not just business related.  Things like physical and mental health, education success with kids in all economic sectors, environmental improvements, lack of substance abuse.  Also this article touches on it as well.

https://thehill.com/hilltv/rising/435317-andrew-yang-as-president-i-will-update-gdp-for-the-21st-century

And give tax breaks and incentives to those that improve GDP with the new human capital focus

Also, he's not really for the same plan of M4A as Bernie.   He wants to keep the private sector going but expand medicaid to allow cover majority, if not al;.  He does admit this would eliminate majority of the private sector but his studies show a handful will continue to compete in the market. 

What good does calculating GDP differently do anyone? What tax breaks and incentives? The human-centered capitalism is a noble philosophy, but the devil is in the details.

• Plus1 1
48 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

What good does calculating GDP differently do anyone? What tax breaks and incentives? The human-centered capitalism is a noble philosophy, but the devil is in the details.

Do you think it does any good to calculate the GDP at all?

• Plus1 1