The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

1 hour ago, Danny Bateman said:

This presumes Biden actually believes this about Republicans and isn't just saying it because he's campaigning as a unifying candidate who is willing to try to find common ground.

Say what you will but there's a good chunk of people who like to hear stuff like that.

I suppose those people also think Merrick Garland is on the Supreme Court. Maybe Biden can pull the Trump routine and convince gullible Dem voters that it's the 90's again. I think they'll see through that, but I guess we'll see.

4 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The lesson remains that Trump won and Bernie Sanders came far closer than anyone imagined because they both ran as populists in a race where the prognosticators were wrong about virtually everything. Americans wanted change. Hillary Clinton was the exact opposite of that, but she had the more powerful machine, and between the fear of Trump and a genuine desire to elect the first female President, she mustered up a coalition of people willing to overlook a lot.

What some would call "corporatist leanings" others might call entrenched entitlement. They're not that different. Hillary Clinton tried to pose as a midwestern every woman and champion of the common folk, but she came up as a corporate lawyer and ran with the Davos crowd as much as possible. She was always about political calculation, and seemed to think she deserved the Presidency. People saw through that.  So however you found her unlikable, "corporatist" isn't the wrong word here. 

So, the definition for corporatist is anyone who is a corrupt, horrible, fake, person?

3 hours ago, RedDenver said:

I suppose those people also think Merrick Garland is on the Supreme Court. Maybe Biden can pull the Trump routine and convince gullible Dem voters that it's the 90's again. I think they'll see through that, but I guess we'll see.

It strikes me as more of a general election strategy than specifically giving him any kind of advantage in the primary itself. Of course he'd have to win the primary for it to matter anyway, but to me it seems that is the lane he's trying to be in. A message something like this:

"Yeah, the economy is doing well, but right now it's benefitting mostly Trump's wealthy buddies. Plus he's corrupt as hell and embarrasses us every day on Twitter. His foreign policy is a mess that alienates our allies and makes us less safe by leaving us alone. His trade war is kidding blue collar workers. He blows taxpayer dollars on golf and hanging out at his private resorts. I'll un-rig the economy for the little guy, end the corruption, act like an adult and rebuild our standing in the world."

Something like that would probably appeal to independents and even center-right folks who like the economy but despise Trump. Of course turning out the Democratic base would be the biggest variable.

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, the definition for corporatist is anyone who is a corrupt, horrible, fake, person?

In this case, someone who sells those qualities to corporate interests in order to advance her political ambitions.

Or to look at it another way, the opposite of a populist.

This isn't as hard as  you're making it. 

15 hours ago, RedDenver said:

You're assuming that the polls right now are going to continue to the election. I predict that Biden will fade as the primaries approach. He's another third-way, corporate lackey in a time of populism. He didn't win the nomination back when his brand of Dem politics was popular. He'll continue to say idiotic stuff like the Republicans will suddenly come around to compromising with him. It's like he's completely unaware of what happened while he was Vice President:

The problem with Joe Biden’s Republican “epiphany” theory of bipartisanship

This is who we are up against. These people will not all of a sudden have an epiphany when Trump is gone. They are evil, vile, soulless beings that speak for their donors and their special interest groups. We need someone who will fight and crush them, not someone who wants to work with them. Biden is not the man for this as your quote above shows. America deserves better than Joe Biden. 

The drug this douche is talking about helps stop the spread of HIV from person to person. The cost is $8 a month in Australia. In America it cost $1,700+ a month. This guy can give two s#!ts if folks cant afford it and die or go into financial ruin to be on it. Sickening. 

• Plus1 1

I don’t want a candidate who campaigns on reaching across the aisle to a bunch of people who bent over and took it up the a$$ from a racist misogynist with 2 brain cells to rub together. The GOP doesn’t deserve to be brought to the table on anything. They’re a cancer for this country and it’s a 50/50 tossup on whether we’ll survive them. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I don’t want a candidate who campaigns on reaching across the aisle to a bunch of people who bent over and took it up the a$$ from a racist misogynist with 2 brain cells to rub together. The GOP doesn’t deserve to be brought to the table on anything. They’re a cancer for this country and it’s a 50/50 tossup on whether we’ll survivw them. 

Thank you.

That's why I think it'll actually be more difficult for Biden to turn out his base and win the nomination than actually beat Trump if he gets to the general. Most people in the Democratic base are cringing on a daily basis at the overtures he's trying to make towards bipartisanship.

It's baked into his DNA at this point. After decades in the Senate he was/is very good friends with people like McCain and McConnell.

It makes sense that those of us who've closely watched the GOP debase and ingratiate themselves to Trump aren't going to want to work with them. It's why most of us probably won't vote for him in the primary. My only hope if he does win is that he's got some brass knuckles waiting on that outstretched hand for them when things inevitably go poorly.

This iteration of the GOP needs to die an agonizing death. But for the health of our democracy we need them to come back and be a responsible, more reasonable counterforce than they are now.

• Plus1 1
11 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

It strikes me as more of a general election strategy than specifically giving him any kind of advantage in the primary itself. Of course he'd have to win the primary for it to matter anyway, but to me it seems that is the lane he's trying to be in. A message something like this:

"Yeah, the economy is doing well, but right now it's benefitting mostly Trump's wealthy buddies. Plus he's corrupt as hell and embarrasses us every day on Twitter. His foreign policy is a mess that alienates our allies and makes us less safe by leaving us alone. His trade war is kidding blue collar workers. He blows taxpayer dollars on golf and hanging out at his private resorts. I'll un-rig the economy for the little guy, end the corruption, act like an adult and rebuild our standing in the world."

Something like that would probably appeal to independents and even center-right folks who like the economy but despise Trump. Of course turning out the Democratic base would be the biggest variable.

The bold is what I think ultimately undoes Biden. He's been bought by corporations for years and his political career is about helping those corporations.

JOE BIDEN’S PRESIDENTIAL CAMPAIGN PLEDGED NOT TO TAKE SPECIAL-INTEREST MONEY — BUT NOT HIS PAC

If you start from the middle and compromise with the increasingly far Right, what do you actually believe in?

Also: surprise! The  GOP has no intention of compromising with you. That should have been Lesson #1 from your 8 years as Vice-President. 

Also: the supposedly extreme left positions on behalf of healthcare, the environment, and education are actually supported by a majority of Americans when the issues are explained to them. Given the utterly ludicrous spending priorities we have at the moment, there's no safety or honor in the status quo. 

• Plus1 5

Trump cries :cry because Fox isn't his private news network as Chris Wallace interviews Mayor Pete. What a shame (in Trump's eyes) when Fox tries to be 'fair and balance'.  I'm glad Fox is doing these town halls and I wish Liz Warren didn't duck away from the event.  To defeat a lion you have to go into the lion's den - she wasn't up to it I guess.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/444483-trump-hits-fox-for-wasting-airtime-on-coverage-of-pete-buttigieg

Pete getting standing O after his interview wt Wallace.  He had a good summary of why he is running in ending his interview

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/pete-buttigieg-gets-standing-ovation-at-end-of-fox-news-town-hall-surprising-chris-wallace/

The South Bend, Indiana Mayor and 2020 presidential candidate drew raucous applause throughout his town hall with Fox News anchor Chris Wallace, particularly when he dismissed President Donald Trump’s tweets: “I don’t care,” Buttigieg remarked when asked how he felt about the missives.

At the end of the town hall, Wallace gave him time for a closing statement:

Look, what we’re trying to do here is different. Because the moment that we’re in is different. I get that a millennial, midwestern mayor is not what leaps to mind when you think about a prototypical candidate for president. But I also think we’re living — if it’s hard to figure out what’s going on right now, it’s because we are living on one of those blank pages in between chapters of American history. And what comes next could be ugly or it could be amazing. And I believe running for office is an act of hope, and so is voting for somebody, and supporting somebody and volunteering for somebody. I hope you’ll join me in making sure that that next era is better than any we’ve had so far.

“Thank you, mayor,” Wallace replied, as the audience began to stand in applause, surprising the anchor. “Wow, a standing ovation,” he remarked

• Plus1 2
On 5/17/2019 at 3:11 PM, Frott Scost said:

You said countering the alt right with the alt left is not a good idea. The “ alt”right polices vs the “alt” left polices are apples to oranges as I just pointed out. 

I'm concern wt the swing ---- we swung way to far right wt Trump.  And yes, as others have said - many of the proposals by the Dem candidates aren't as far left or aren't as big of a swing

where it will hurt us.  Here is one benefit of swing to the left this time around however that I do see - the polices on the left will have a greater opportunity to unite us instead of divide us

as Trump has done. 

• Thanks 1

WaPo has a curious article about Elizabeth Warren today. Its tone seems to imply they've uncovered something wrong. But it's just about the legal work she did while teaching. Which is what attorneys do. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

While teaching, Elizabeth Warren worked on more than 50 legal matters, charging as much as $675 an hour

Sen. Elizabeth Warren worked on more than 50 legal matters during her career as a professor at Ivy League law schools, charging as much as $675 an hour to advise a variety of clients, from people with asbestos disease to a corporation facing possible liability over ruptured breast implants.

Warren’s presidential campaign released a list of 56 cases on her website on Wednesday night, revealing a far higher number of cases than Warren (D-Mass.) had previously disclosed and lending detail to an aspect of her career that she rarely discusses in public.

When she first ran for the Senate in 2012, Warren came under pressure from her Republican opponent and the news media to discuss her legal work. At the time, she released a list of just 13 cases without saying whether it represented a full accounting; at least one other case came to light during the race.

“Elizabeth was one of the nation’s top experts on how to make sure victims hurt by bankrupt companies eventually got paid,” Warren’s website said Wednesday night. “Throughout her career, she worked to help set up trusts and other mechanisms to return $27 billion to victims and their families.”

In a separate review, The Washington Post found that a wave of Warren’s legal work came in the early 2000s as manufacturing companies whose products contained asbestos were forced into bankruptcy by waves of personal injury claims.

A nationally recognized expert in bankruptcy law, Warren consulted for more than a dozen committees representing claimants and creditors in these cases, often in partnership with the law firm Caplin & Drysdale, for an hourly rate of $675.

“In this case, Elizabeth served as a consultant to ensure adequate compensation for women who claimed injury from silicone breast implants who otherwise might not have received anything when Dow Corning filed for bankruptcy,” Warren’s list of cases read. “Thanks in part to Elizabeth’s efforts, Dow Corning created a $2.35 billion fund to compensate women claiming injury from Dow Corning’s silicone breast implants.”

• Plus1 1
26 minutes ago, knapplc said:

WaPo has a curious article about Elizabeth Warren today. Its tone seems to imply they've uncovered something wrong. But it's just about the legal work she did while teaching. Which is what attorneys do. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

<Snip>

I didn't read your sentence well enough and was like, "Dang, not Warren!". I proceeded to read the quoted section and by the end I was like, "Good for her. Good for her."

Then I realized what you actually said and I am like. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯