The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Now we are going to start paying back everyone in the last that feels like the tax code didn’t treat them fair? 

thats BS and a road we do not want to go down.  

Isn't that what we just did? The Trump tax cuts were a giant reparation to the badly oppressed wealthy and corporations in our country.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

41 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I don't know if you all subscribe to or know about Axios newsletters, but I've enjoyed receiving their AM newsletter for some time. It provides a nice variety of 'political' information each morning. Today's headlining story had some interesting nuggets about the polls, their flaws/strengths, and how they could play a role in 2020. But, one of their stories today also included a quote from a Nebraska farmer about how the flooding locally (and trade difficulties nationally/internationally) are impacting the ag business.

1 big thing: 2016 flaws lurk in 2020 polls

More to the story at the link above.

Thanks. It really chaps my buns when people say polling 2016 got it wrong ergo we can safely ignore it since it's clearly flawed.

That's wrong, this is right. National polls nailed the final vote margin but state polls were off. Undecideds broke late to Trump.

Hopefully state polls improved. I'll certainly be paying attention to trends in those midwest Rust Belt states that very narrowly carried Trump to victory last time - his popularity is underwater by about 10 or 15 points in places like PA/WI/MI right now. That might change or it might not. But polls are still the best tool we have in understanding and predicting this stuff.

I'll be the first to admit I'm not a huge fan of Sanders personally and I have done my fair share of criticizing him in the past.

But this is a step further than Warren's plan in this arena on an issue that really matters to me. We've got lots of other problems, but college has only gotten more expensive and we've done very little to address it. I strongly feel we should take action, coupled with increasing support for trade schools and other job skills programs, to reform the way we think about education and job training in the U.S.

I've heard that our cumulative student debt could be the next bubble hanging over the economy. What better way to deal with a bubble than simply do away with it completely?

This is a good idea and I support it. Good job, Bernie.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Danny Bateman said:

Isn't that what we just did? The Trump tax cuts were a giant reparation to the badly oppressed wealthy and corporations in our country.

No. 

A tax cut isn’t going back and reimbursing certain groups from years past. 

Thats a real stretch trying to equate those two. 

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Now we are going to start paying back everyone in the last that feels like the tax code didn’t treat them fair?

thats BS and a road we do not want to go down. 

Did you actually read the content of the bill?  It was proposed by 35 Senators last year ... and she is just reintroducing it because it stalled (my guess is due to Mitch as he has held up much proposed legislation). 

And it pertains to states where same sex  marriage was recognized as legal but the tax law didn't allow joint filings.  I have zero problem with that.  My understanding If a state didn't allow marriage this isn't an option for those folks. (Im reading on a cell though so I could have overlooked a detail)

I have zero problem with this as proposed.  I know of no other situation where someone wasn't allowed to file their taxes correctly to their own financial detriment.  

• Plus1 3

So do you think this takes some luster off of Mayor Pete's rising star?   It may give other candidates a reason to attach him- accuse him of not managing his small city well.

However, one thing to think about - unlike Senators, mayors and governors are actively dealing will real problems in real time and not just making policy proposals and legislating. 

https://apnews.com/17649c0203114844a13fcf1ae34bb833

Democratic presidential candidate Pete Buttigieg faced criticism Sunday from angry residents of South Bend, Indiana, at an emotional town hall meeting a week after a white police officer fatally shot a black man in the city where he is mayor.

Buttigieg (BOO’-tuh-juhj) said he would call for an outside investigation of the shooting of 54-year-old Eric Logan by Sgt. Ryan O’Neill.

The 37-year-old mayor said he would send a letter to the federal Department of Justice’s civil rights division and notify the local prosecutor that he’d like an independent investigator appointed. He conceded that his administration had failed on two key initiatives.

“The effort to recruit more minority officers to the police department and the effort to introduce body cameras have not succeeded and I accept responsibility for that,” Buttigieg said.

Prosecutors investigating said that the shooting was not recorded by O’Neill’s body camera.

The town hall grew contentious when some community members questioned whether the mayor had done enough to reform the police department in the city of 100,000 people, which is about a quarter black.

“Get the people that are racist off the streets,” one woman in the audience said. “Reorganize your department. You can do that by Friday.”

• Thanks 1

The few actual interactions I've seen in full with Pete in IN are pretty good I thought.  People are pissed and they should be.  He's been straight with what they've tried to do, admitted it wasn't enough - has listened and fielded questions and handled being screamed at quite well.  He's owned up to the problem being his.  

I think your point about his position being one of action vs Senate spots is a good one.  I'd also ask, if he wasn't running for president would we be hearing about this?  Are the reactions at the town halls he is having what he would have had if he wasnt on the Presidential trail?  I don't know the answers - I'm trying not to assume, but I do think the fellow Dems are starting to break and sneakily attack weaknesses of their opponents (or maybe it's not being led by the Dems, but there's a concerted focus on taking the luster off frontrunners by someone/thing).  We've seen it against Joe, Bernie, Kamala and now Pete.  

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

No. 

A tax cut isn’t going back and reimbursing certain groups from years past.  

Thats a real stretch trying to equate those two.  

Absolutely disagree.

The only difference is people with political power almost always get to decide where the money goes.

1 hour ago, NM11046 said:

The few actual interactions I've seen in full with Pete in IN are pretty good I thought.  People are pissed and they should be.  He's been straight with what they've tried to do, admitted it wasn't enough - has listened and fielded questions and handled being screamed at quite well.  He's owned up to the problem being his.  

I think your point about his position being one of action vs Senate spots is a good one.  I'd also ask, if he wasn't running for president would we be hearing about this?  Are the reactions at the town halls he is having what he would have had if he wasnt on the Presidential trail?  I don't know the answers - I'm trying not to assume, but I do think the fellow Dems are starting to break and sneakily attack weaknesses of their opponents (or maybe it's not being led by the Dems, but there's a concerted focus on taking the luster off frontrunners by someone/thing).  We've seen it against Joe, Bernie, Kamala and now Pete.  

I'm sure Trump Inc doesn't mind stirring up mud on each of the leading candidates to weaken them.  Also the Dems themselves have to really start making a move - there are so many running and policy wise they are fairly close in their positions so anything to cast doubt on another candidate could indirectly give you an advantage. 

I do like that Mayor Pete took ownership of the situation and didn't run from it.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, TGHusker said:

I'm sure Trump Inc doesn't mind stirring up mud on each of the leading candidates to weaken them.  Also the Dems themselves have to really start making a move - there are so many running and policy wise they are fairly close in their positions so anything to cast doubt on another candidate could indirectly give you an advantage. 

I do like that Mayor Pete took ownership of the situation and didn't run from it.

he didn't blame the deep state and fake news?  what the hell is wrong with him?

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, NM11046 said:

Its' weird to watch a podcast - the pauses that sound so normal when you're listening and processing look like akward and uncomfortable when you see it.

I will say it is odd to see how the political world reacted to Slick Willy's womanizing - as recently as 2016 with Trump exploiting it for his own gain before a debate - while on the other hand having all these women credibly accuse him of sexual assault if not outright rape resulting in merely a collective shrug.

It's pretty gross.

Edit: Crap, this was supposed to be replying to your other comment in the Republican Utopia, sorry.

• Plus1 1