The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

On 6/24/2019 at 1:57 PM, NM11046 said:

Did you actually read the content of the bill?  It was proposed by 35 Senators last year ... and she is just reintroducing it because it stalled (my guess is due to Mitch as he has held up much proposed legislation). 

And it pertains to states where same sex  marriage was recognized as legal but the tax law didn't allow joint filings.  I have zero problem with that.  My understanding If a state didn't allow marriage this isn't an option for those folks. (Im reading on a cell though so I could have overlooked a detail)

I have zero problem with this as proposed.  I know of no other situation where someone wasn't allowed to file their taxes correctly to their own financial detriment.  

Then it should be a state issue. If the state wants to reimburse them, that’s their choice. 

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

No....they are very very different situations. 

Yea I'd say the gay couples are more entitled to this money than the wealthy are for tax cuts. These people were legally allowed to get married but not allowed to file their taxes as such? That is pretty severe discrimination with real life consequences.

• Plus1 1

On 6/24/2019 at 1:57 PM, NM11046 said:

And it pertains to states where same sex  marriage was recognized as legal but the tax law didn't allow joint filings.  I have zero problem with that.  My understanding If a state didn't allow marriage this isn't an option for those folks. (Im reading on a cell though so I could have overlooked a detail)

Per the headline I was not on board but per this understanding of it I am 100% on board. That's demonstrable unfairness to specific people that can be quantified.

Also, I guess I'm voting for Sanders :lol: I've been ignoring my student loans for a long time and I suppose my only hope for a debt free future is an old dude from Vermont.

2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Except Bernie wasn't working with segregationists like Biden was. 

And I haven't seen Bernie attack Biden on busing at all. 

My point is it's stupid Bernie supporters are using it against Biden when Bernie was guilty of opposing the same policy. Anyone in politics that long likely has some spotty stuff on their records. It's a pretty strong argument that it's actually easier to run for president in some ways if you're a younger candidate.

2 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

My point is it's stupid Bernie supporters are using it against Biden when Bernie was guilty of opposing the same policy. Anyone in politics that long likely has some spotty stuff on their records. It's a pretty strong argument that it's actually easier to run for president in some ways if you're a younger candidate.

I'd like to see Bernie answer a question about his stance on busing. Maybe he'll give a good answer or maybe he'll continue to double- and triple-down with his foot in his mouth like Biden.

But looking at the bigger picture, Biden has way, way more problematic stuff than Bernie. The both sides attempt to equate them is pretty lame.

48 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I'd like to see Bernie answer a question about his stance on busing. Maybe he'll give a good answer or maybe he'll continue to double- and triple-down with his foot in his mouth like Biden. 

But looking at the bigger picture, Biden has way, way more problematic stuff than Bernie. The both sides attempt to equate them is pretty lame. 

If they had the same stance on an issue they had the same stance on an issue.

Remember, the GOP opposition file on Bernie was not slim. Just off the top of my head, I would think support for Fidel would be a problem in Florida.

1 hour ago, Danny Bateman said:

It's not that simple. Biden brought it up as a point he was proud of, this week. As in, at present, he's fine with what he did back then. It matters what he thinks of it now and what Sanders thinks of it now.

They can both be looked at negatively for being wrong decades ago, and depending on how Sanders would answer the question, could potentially be looked at differently for how they view it now.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
18 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

It's not that simple. Biden brought it up as a point he was proud of, this week. As in, at present, he's fine with what he did back then. It matters what he thinks of it now and what Sanders thinks of it now. 

They can both be looked at negatively for being wrong decades ago, and depending on how Sanders would answer the question, could potentially be looked at differently for how they view it now. 

It's pretty simple. Both of them opposed busing. I'm guessing a lot of white Democrats did back then, because a lot of white people did.

I just think it's silly the entire thing has been a line of attack against Biden when Bernie had literally the same position. Not that that excuses Biden's inability to apologize for anything.

Also, Biden didn't say he was proud of being anti-busing. He just said he worked with segregationalists in the Senate.

30 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

It's pretty simple. Both of them opposed busing. I'm guessing a lot of white Democrats did back then, because a lot of white people did.

I just think it's silly the entire thing has been a line of attack against Biden when Bernie had literally the same position. Not that that excuses Biden's inability to apologize for anything.

Also, Biden didn't say he was proud of being anti-busing. He just said he worked with segregationalists in the Senate.

They both did a bad thing years ago. But if one of those people is still okay with it now and the other is not, they should be looked at differently.

You're talking as if people can't change, and can't learn from their mistakes, and can't regret past actions. You're talking as if 2 people who did the same bad thing can't be viewed any differently regardless of how they feel about those past actions now. 2 people can both have done the same bad thing and be viewed entirely differently from each other now based on whether they've changed or they regret it.

That said, we don't know about how Sanders feels about it now and probably never will, because he's had time to think of a palatable response, and Sanders' supporters shouldn't give him the benefit of the doubt on it.