The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

55 minutes ago, TheSker said:

It's hard to raise major donor money with the Medicare for All platform.

Hmm Bernie and Warren arent having any issues. Amazing what can happen when you appeal to the 99% and not the 1%. 

One million donors and 2.5 million donations. Well that was last week. Probably closer to 3 million donations now. 

• Plus1 1

Interesting look at everyone's second choice.

This is a good thing for Warren & Harris. Bernie is fifth on this list, and Beto is basically not on this list.  Corey Booker isn't even one of the poll questions and he's higher than Booker! :D

Basically, I'm coming around to supporting a Warren presidency. I have no major objections to her, and I'd like to see a progressive get some time in the office for once.

Biden, at a distant third in this, should start to read the tea leaves and make the right choice. It's just not going to happen for him.

Interesting article on Andrew Yang

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/08/22/andrew-yang-2020-president-profile-227631

Andrew Yang was sitting here in a rented silver Suburban outside a black chamber of commerce surrounded by five members of his rapidly growing campaign staff when he saw a new Fox News poll in which he was tied for fifth in the sprawling Democratic presidential primary.

He stared at the screen of his phone and scrolled. 

“Three percent!” Yang said, in his characteristically dry, droll way. “This team. Is the team. That’s going to go … all. The. Way. To the White House!”

Yang breezily walked into the chamber building and got onto a packed elevator. To the county party chair squeezed into a corner, Yang excitedly passed along the results of the poll, listing in order the only people who were ahead of him—a former vice president (Joe Biden) and three high-profile senators (Elizabeth Warren, Bernie Sanders, Kamala Harris).

“And then me!” he exclaimed, flashing a goofy, exaggerated smile.

Perhaps you haven’t noticed, but Andrew Yang is … surging? It sounds crazy, and who knows how long it lasts? But for now he is one of 10 candidates who have qualified through sufficiently robust polling and fundraising for this fall’s third and fourth debates. The exhausting cluster of Oval Office aspirants, at least for these purposes, has been whittled to this: the aforementioned top four, two more senators, a mayor, a former member of Congress and … this guy. Yang is a 44-year-old entrepreneur from New York and a father of two young sons who’s never run for any office of any kind before this, and whose campaign is fueled by a deeply

dystopian view of the near future (trucker riots, anybody?), a pillar of a platform that can come off as a gimmick (a thousand bucks a month for every American adult!), and a zeitgeisty swirl of podcasts, GIFs, tweets and memes. Last week, as a successful governor from a major state dropped out and the bottom half of the bloated field continued to flounder, Yang passed the 200,000 mark for unique donors—outpacing an array of name-known pols. He’s gotten contributions, on average $24 a pop, from 88 percent of the ZIP codes in the country, and he’s on track, he says, to raise twice as much money this quarter as he did last quarter. Just the other day, he made his Sunday news show debut.

It’s a phenomenon hard to figure—until you get up close and take in some strange political alchemy. At the heart of Yang’s appeal is a paradox. In delivering his alarming, existentially unsettling message of automation and artificial intelligence wreaking havoc on America’s economic, emotional and social well-being, he … cracks jokes.

His most foolproof laugh line—“the opposite of Donald Trump is an Asian man who likes math”—suggests that his candidacy is premised on distinguishing himself from the president the same way as his fellow challengers. But it’s not quite that simple. He’s attracting support from an unorthodox jumble of citizens, from a host of top technologists, but from penitent Trump voters, too. He’s one of only two Democrats (along with Sanders) who ticks 10 percent or higher when Trump voters are asked which of the Democrats they might go for—a factoid Yang uses as evidence that he’ll win “easy” if he’s the nominee come November of next year. Trump, of course, is the president, and Yang (let’s not get carried away) remains a very long long shot to succeed him.

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

I just don't get it - I think he's a good guy, maybe has a role in the future cabinet, but the big cheese?  With what experience? I get his $1k credit to all is appealing to those who don't understand what that means from a budget standpoint, and I like the tax idea, but what else does he bring?  The whole, "i'm an asian that likes math" is worn out, I haven't heard much else from him.

2 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

I just don't get it - I think he's a good guy, maybe has a role in the future cabinet, but the big cheese?  With what experience? I get his $1k credit to all is appealing to those who don't understand what that means from a budget standpoint, and I like the tax idea, but what else does he bring?  The whole, "i'm an asian that likes math" is worn out, I haven't heard much else from him.

Probably playing to get his idea out there in the market place and possible role in the next govt.

9 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Probably playing to get his idea out there in the market place and possible role in the next govt.

And I'm cool with that - just like I'm psyched to see Innsley drop out - he should be Sec of the Interior for sure for whomever gets the nomination on the D side.  

Also to note - how smart is it that Hickenloper has opted in to the CO Senate race?  Stoked that played out that way, now if Beto would go that route in TX (and yes, I understand he's riding a nice popularity wave since the shooting and won't likely take his name out of the running, but man would he be a nice replacement for Cornryn.

1 hour ago, NM11046 said:

And I'm cool with that - just like I'm psyched to see Innsley drop out - he should be Sec of the Interior for sure for whomever gets the nomination on the D side.  

Also to note - how smart is it that Hickenloper has opted in to the CO Senate race?  Stoked that played out that way, now if Beto would go that route in TX (and yes, I understand he's riding a nice popularity wave since the shooting and won't likely take his name out of the running, but man would he be a nice replacement for Cornryn.

Hiclenloper and Beto could help to flip the Senate.   In the long run, Beto will have more influence in the senate then being someone's VP.  He is young enough to take another shot at running for the WH later.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, NM11046 said:

Hickenlooper will have a great chance to unseat Gardner.  Hickenlooper is business friendly, because that's how he made his fortune.  He's also oil and gas friendly because he's a former geologist.

His wife is a VP for a large corporation in Denver.  They are well connected.

Edited by TheSker

62% disapproval of Trump in this poll.  

https://apnews.com/1ad13f32984a4480a45738ead2b4c0d8

About 6 in 10 Americans disapprove of President Donald Trump’s overall job performance, according to a new poll released Thursday by The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research, which finds some support for the president’s handling of the U.S. economy but gives him weak marks on other major issues.

Just 36% of Americans approve of the way Trump is handling his job as president; 62% disapprove.

The numbers may be ugly for a first-term president facing reelection in 14 months, but they are remarkably consistent. Trump’s approval rating has never dipped below 32% or risen above 42% in AP-NORC polls since he took office.

No other president has stayed within so narrow a band. Since Gallup began measuring presidential approval, Trump is the only president whose rating has never been above 50%. Still, several — Harry Truman, Richard Nixon, Jimmy Carter, George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush — logged ratings worse than Trump’s lowest rating so far at some point during their time in office.

Trump’s poor grades in the AP-NORC poll extend to his handling of several key issues: immigration, health care, foreign policy and guns. Views of the Republican president’s handling of the economy remain a relative bright spot despite fears of a potential recession, but at least 60% of Americans disapprove of his performance on other issues. The consistency suggests the president’s weak standing with the American people is calcified after two years of near-constant political crises and divisive rhetoric at the White House