The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

Man, if only there was a way to not have it be mentally feeble Biden vs mentally feeble Trump. What we need is some sort of way to vote for who should be in the running for President, like some sort of primary voting process. If only... 

I thought it obvious that my post openly acknowledged that the primary process currently seems most likely to spit out Trump vs. Biden....

I'm not cheering for that outcome. It's just what is most likely.

11 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

Funny how everyone wants to call predjudiced rhetoric 'brain melting' as if he hasn't said and done stiff like this his whole life. Maybe he just feels this way about people of color and his brain is melting. Why are folks defending subtle racism???

Biden is a gaffe machine and he always has been, you're right. But you're going to use one jumbled quote from a man who's never been a good public speaker to argue he's racist?

He's got plenty of similarly awful quotes dating back decades, i.e., on busing, that one could use to accuse him of prejudice. But even that ignores the context that he was a senator of a pretty white state where busing was pretty unpopular at the time.

He's pretty well proven himself to be an ally of POC in our country through his actions, hasn't he? Calling him racist for conflating poor and black is a bit presumptuous, isn't it? If Biden was a racist wouldn't he be underwater with the AA community like Trump is?

1 hour ago, Danny Bateman said:

Biden is a gaffe machine and he always has been, you're right. But you're going to use one jumbled quote from a man who's never been a good public speaker to argue he's racist?

He's got plenty of similarly awful quotes dating back decades, i.e., on busing, that one could use to accuse him of prejudice. But even that ignores the context that he was a senator of a pretty white state where busing was pretty unpopular at the time.

He's pretty well proven himself to be an ally of POC in our country through his actions, hasn't he? Calling him racist for conflating poor and black is a bit presumptuous, isn't it? If Biden was a racist wouldn't he be underwater with the AA community like Trump is?

Wanting to be helpful doesn't bar one from superiority complex. His comments about Obama were 'taken out of context' too. Seems he has a pattern of that. I'm not saying he is on Trumps level but the fact of the matter is subtle racism is real and should not be ignored no matter who it comes from. Your last sentence is the equivilent of you saying he has a black friend. That doesn't really matters, what matters is how he has a few times spoken of people of color as other. You can call that a mental gaffe if you want to, but I'll take it as an insight into how he really feels. It's not malicious but that doesn't mean it isn't harmful in its own way and I think its important we aknowledge it for what it is rather than passing it off as a mental gaffe. Now that doesn't mean we should write him off and lump him in with DJT or other racists but how about lets not play nice because he was Obamas VP. He can have a prejudiced worldview, and like knapplc pointed out many people from his backround do in some way or another but we shouldn't settle for that. I can't say I've heard this language from Bernie.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

Is it? Most racism today isn't overt, and it happens everywhere so....

To say someones experience is laughable is pretty insensitive as well.

I thought it was an obvious joke about racists in western Nebraska.  I unfortunately know several, and there is nothing subtle about their beliefs...

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

Well when you pass for white but people know who your father is and what race he is...they make sure it's understated.

I meant no disrespect to you or your experiences.  I was making a joke about how, under normal circumstances in daily conversation with white people, many western Nebraskans are loud and proud about what they think of “non-whites”.

Western Nebraska is a beautiful place with some really great and hardworking families.  I just wish we could just get rid of the s#!theads that are responsible for the reputation they earned.

9 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

That's ok, it's just BlitzFirst.  Everyone thinks he's a moron and has no idea what he's talking about in spite of knowing absolutely nothing about him.

I thought when a person is “quoted” they received a notification of the quote.

but I feel ya, everyone just assumes my comments are serious.  They have no idea they are usually dripping with sarcasm...

On 9/16/2019 at 6:27 PM, Danny Bateman said:

If that was the only racially questionable quote Biden had done, then I'd agree with you. But there's a long pattern of Biden and these "gaffes". Just look at the racist remarks he's made just in the last few months of campaigning.

• Plus1 1

Just now, Frott Scost said:

Yes, I just wish she would be truthful. We all know our taxes are going up a little. We also know that it will be less expensive than we are paying now. Just explain that and most people will get it.

^ yea but ...

The GOP will get on message about how Trump gave a cut and she will raise.  Fact and stats don't matter to the simple folks that just take action based on how many times they hear someone say something on tv.

1 hour ago, NM11046 said:

^ yea but ...

The GOP will get on message about how Trump gave a cut and she will raise.  Fact and stats don't matter to the simple folks that just take action based on how many times they hear someone say something on tv.

Thats the crappy part about it all. People desperately want honesty but honesty doesn't win elections.