The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

30 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

BigRedBuster has me on ignore so he can't see anything I post.  He missed the point of what I said about Warren and the video I posted of her....the point I made about her was how she will be an opportunist politician...it wasn't about her apologizing for anything.  So he's saying what he's saying right now because he didn't see what I posted (at least that's my theory) where I clarified the point.

No I don’t. I’ve never had you on ignore. 

I hate how dumb people are about taxes. Case in point, the obsession to get Warren to answer whether Medicare for All would raise taxes on the middle class. She gets badgered on this because of the obsession, and she knows she can't say yes. But what she has said is it will lower costs for the middle class. That happens by increasing taxes on the middle class and above, but lowering health care costs by more than the middle class's taxes would increase. That's what's important - the net savings. But she can't straight out say taxes would increase for the middle class and health care costs would decrease by more because that soundbite would doom her.

I just can't figure out how people can think Medicare for All isn't affordable for this country, or worse, a crazy idea. Health care for old people is the most expensive, and we're all paying for it right now. The average per person cost of health care via Medicare would decrease just due to that alone. I'm guessing the only real losers would be the under 30 crowd, many of who feel they don't need healthcare but would be helping foot the bill, and the people with really high incomes. Oh, and the drug companies because the U.S. government would have better negotiating power.

• Plus1 2

42 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

It will lose her votes. 

They are looking for a sound bite. Give it to them, but not the one they are looking for. I even criticize Bernie for this framing. Will you raise taxes on the middle class? No, it will be a tax break for the middle class. How so? I am getting rid of “private taxes” in the form of premiums, deductibles and copayments and raising public taxes. At the end of the day, 90%+ of Americans save money. Thats a tax break. Watch their jaws drop after that. 

• Plus1 3

2 hours ago, Frott Scost said:

They are looking for a sound bite. Give it to them, but not the one they are looking for. I even criticize Bernie for this framing. Will you raise taxes on the middle class? No, it will be a tax break for the middle class. How so? I am getting rid of “private taxes” in the form of premiums, deductibles and copayments and raising public taxes. At the end of the day, 90%+ of Americans save money. Thats a tax break. Watch their jaws drop after that. 

Good idea. 

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

Mayor Pete needs to start polling above 0% in the African-American demographic before he can be taken as a serious contender.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

crazy world we live in. On one hand we got Trump impeachment going on and on the other  a poll that predicts Trump could win

2020 in a landslide based on economic issues alone.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/trump-in-a-landslide-this-historically-accurate-model-predicts-exactly-that-2019-10-15?siteid=yhoof2&yptr=yahoo

“Under the current Moody’s Analytics baseline economic outlook, which does not forecast any recession, the 2020 election looks like Trump’s to lose,” the authors wrote. “Democrats can still win if they are able to turn out the vote at record levels, but, under normal turnout conditions, the president is projected to win.”

It seems odd they don't factor or even mention the only post-Trump election, 2018 midterms, which did have record turnout levels.