The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

I find it amazing that we're even talking about Buttigieg. The guy's basically a nobody from a small-ish town in the Midwest. No national political aspirations until this cycle, and bang! he's among the top four in most polls.

Weird. Like most, I'd never heard of the guy before he announced his candidacy.

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I find it amazing that we're even talking about Buttigieg. The guy's basically a nobody from a small-ish town in the Midwest. No national political aspirations until this cycle, and bang! he's among the top four in most polls.

Weird - cuz Obama had talked about him while still in office as an "up and comer" in the Dem party.   :P  He's been around -  Just don't think Obama probably anticipated he'd shoot the moon and go for POTUS.

I really think he's probably performing better than he anticipated.  He had to get his name out for higher political office, so IMO he ran to do that and then anticipated jumping out due to lack of funds, but getting a cabinet position.  Or maybe stepping into a Senate seat in IN.  I'd bet if we were to ever uncover tapes between he and his husband and their campaign manager this was a step in route to something else.  I would have never expected he'd be polling so high vs. Harris and Klobacher for instance.  

33 minutes ago, knapplc said:

it may be the same spirit that got Trump elected.   People are tired of insiders and want an outsider.  Someone from outside wt new ideas to fix the DC mess.  He fits the bill for that.   But like you, I had not heard of him prior to this cycle.

• Plus1 1

Warren's $52 trillion (10 year budget) health care plan and her method of paying for it.

She says she won't raise taxes on the middle class to get it done.  But some of it may be wishful thinking.

The $52 trillion includes existing govt spending plus new spending of $20.5T over 10 years or an additional

$2.05T per year. 

So looking at this proposal - there are some areas of concern:

1. Better Tax Enforcement $2.3B- this seem like a pot we through money in in order to make our budgetary goal. How does

one quantify something that is an abstract #??    Why aren't we doing 'better tax enforcement now"?  Does this mean

heavy handed IRS tactics?

2. Immigration reform. $400M - like # 1. What does that mean?  Again it seems like a catch all bucket. 

3. Aren't these indirect taxes on the middle class:  Fees on banks, 1/10th % tax on financial transactions, eliminate tax break for medical expenses (the wealthy probably don't need the break), taxes on higher take home pay (basically saying we won't have pre tax

payroll deductions for insurance, this creates higher take home pay, which in turn will be taxed)

Net Net:  Her plan is $2 Trillion more on an already bloated budget.  I would like to see other budgetary areas she would cut not related to health care that will help to pay for this.  Does she cut military spending or do those cuts pay for her plans for free education?

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/01/elizabeth-warren-releases-plan-to-pay-for-medicare-for-all.html

Warren%20M4A%20funding.1572625582257.png

Warren’s campaign says it will shift the burden of most health-care costs from consumers, in the form of spending such as premiums, deductibles and copays, to federal and state governments and employers. Here are some of the methods Warren’s campaign outlines to cover the plan’s costs, in terms of both reducing spending and raising money:

• A new employer Medicare contribution to raise $8.8 trillion, which the campaign says would save companies $200 billion relative to what they would have shelled out under the current system
  • Cutting administrative costs by scrapping private insurers
  • Negotiations to reduce drug spending
  • Better enforcement of existing tax laws to raise $2.3 trillion more in revenue
  • Taxes on “the financial sector, large corporations and the top 1% of individuals.” Changes in taxes on the investing community and large companies could raise an estimated $3.8 trillion, according to Warren’s campaign.
  • Warren appeared to take her proposed wealth tax further under the health-care plan, saying wealth over $1 billion would be taxed at 6% rather than the currently proposed 3%. The change would raise an additional $1 trillion, the campaign said. Overall, Warren’s campaign estimates that it can take in $3 trillion for the health-care plan by “asking the top 1% of households in America to pay a little more.”
  • $400 billion more in tax revenue through immigration reform
  • Eliminating the Overseas Contingency Operations military fund to save about $800 billion over a decade

Maybe it's in here somewhere, but, from what I've seen/heard/read....the medicare for all candidates are really missing the point when talking about paying for it.  

Where in here does it explain that, yes, your taxes are going to go up....but, no where close to as much as you are currently paying in insurance premiums....for which....you will not be paying anymore?

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Maybe it's in here somewhere, but, from what I've seen/heard/read....the medicare for all candidates are really missing the point when talking about paying for it.  

Where in here does it explain that, yes, your taxes are going to go up....but, no where close to as much as you are currently paying in insurance premiums....for which....you will not be paying anymore?

Sanders has explained it that way every time he is given the chance that I've seen.  However, Warren seems terrified to say the word "taxes" out loud...

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Pretty dumb that most people think taxes being raised but medical premiums going away = paying more.

I guess math is hard for some folks.

if my taxes went up 200 bucks a month, I'd still be saving money.

People are f#&%ing dumb about taxes, period.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Frott Scost said:

I like Warren. I would be happy to vote for her. I just think Bernie is a little more progressive and will fight more for healthcare which is my top issue. I also like Yang. I think he brings in a much needed voice to the debates. But like I said yesterday, Ill vote for whoever nominee is. 

I'm a Bernie supporter, but I'd also happily vote for Warren. Biden and Buttigieg would be difficult, but I'd probably still vote for them.

12 hours ago, TGHusker said:

The AA vote will NOT  go to Trump.  So your concern is that they will sit it out??   I don't think they will - stakes are too high.

The concern is that the AA vote will stay home like they did in 2016.