The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

Younger voters have never had good turnout. I hope that changes but I'm not gonna believe it will until I see it.

Very good point but at the same time, politics has never been so inextricably ingrained into every area of culture to the extent that it is now. Like kids who are turning 18 now have grown up in a world completely saturated with politics all the time and in every area and extrapolated out from every conversation. That's new.

Even 10-12 years ago when I was first around voting age, I was (anecdotally) very and highly in tune with the leading edge of culture, but more or less clueless about any specific knowledge of politics. 

7 hours ago, Landlord said:

Very good point but at the same time, politics has never been so inextricably ingrained into every area of culture to the extent that it is now. Like kids who are turning 18 now have grown up in a world completely saturated with politics all the time and in every area and extrapolated out from every conversation. That's new.

Even 10-12 years ago when I was first around voting age, I was (anecdotally) very and highly in tune with the leading edge of culture, but more or less clueless about any specific knowledge of politics. 

We don’t know if there’s an association between hearing about politics and voting. 

A higher % of them voted in 2018 so hopefully it’s a trend. 

And more Boomers will have died by now. The oldest are still pretty young though, turning 73 next year. 

9 hours ago, Landlord said:

Really....never before???

politics wasn’t a major part of youth in the 60s?

• Plus1 1

19 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Deval Patrick, former Mass Gov, how does he shake up the race or is it pretty much a nothing burger at this point?

Not sure how he will position himself - moderate, progressive ??

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/deval-patrick-2020-former-massachusetts-governor-expected-to-announce-he-is-running-for-president-today/

He's not a big enough name to get in this late.   It's a nothing burger.

Bloomberg has the name so people will give him a listen.   Clinton has the name, if she decides to run, people will give her a shot.   Patrick has everyone going who and it's too late for that type of candidate.

5 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

All Bloomberg does for most people is make them think of banks and stock markets and financial news.  Everyone will know he's a rich white guy and he'll have about as much appeal as the guy from Starbucks had when he was running.

Yeah.....but rich white guys are horrible...well....unless you gain that wealth while in congress.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

All Bloomberg does for most people is make them think of banks and stock markets and financial news.  Everyone will know he's a rich white guy and he'll have about as much appeal as the guy from Starbucks had when he was running.

Agree, but he has the name recognition that will have people listen.   Whether they like him or not will be determined.   Patrick, most people won't even bother learning about him or his ideas.

Bloomberg and Patrick are running because Biden is looking weak and no other candidate has truly emerged as a front-runner, and with everyone having Elizabeth "Tax The Rich" Warren as their "If not my candidate, I'd choose _________" person, the Billionaires are terrified they're going to get taxed to hell and back.

These are class-specific candidates.  As we have seen, billionaires (or, "billionaires" as the case may be with Captain Bone Spurs) are not going to represent us commoners.

These are not candidates to give any credence to. 

• Plus1 1
20 hours ago, sho said:

Agree, but he has the name recognition that will have people listen.   Whether they like him or not will be determined.   Patrick, most people won't even bother learning about him or his ideas.

I think Patrick is better known than you think - With his past civil rights work and time with he Obama admin - he is particularly familiar to the NH and SC voters which (imho) is why he applied to run when he has.  In those states he might surprise with some momentum, esp with the AA community in SC.

His issue is going to be explaining his employment with Bain Capital after he left the MA Governor position.  I’ve not seen him do this remotely well so he’ll tank when Warren and others pursue that route with him.   But maybe gaining the votes of the wealthy is exactly what he is slotting for .... 

3 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

I think Patrick is better known than you think - With his past civil rights work and time with he Obama admin - he is particularly familiar to the NH and SC voters which (imho) is why he applied to run when he has  

I don’t. I didn’t know he existed until he announced he was running for president. 

• Plus1 1