The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

Wait this is still a discussion if the DNC rigged the primary to favor Hillary Clinton? 

Donna Brazile admitted the primary was rigged to favor Clinton. She admitted Clinton had the questions to the debates before they took place. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/donna-brazile-hillary-clinton-dnc-primary-rigged-bernie-sanders-a8034716.html%3famp

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

Wait this is still a discussion if the DNC rigged the primary to favor Hillary Clinton? 

Donna Brazile admitted the primary was rigged to favor Clinton. She admitted Clinton had the questions to the debates before they took place. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/donna-brazile-hillary-clinton-dnc-primary-rigged-bernie-sanders-a8034716.html%3famp

Image result for moving on gif

23 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

well yeah but if the voters thought that hilary debated better and had better answers and voted for her, even if they didn't know she had an unfair advantage, then that's on the voters

• Plus1 1
22 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I feel your pain, @Redux...  :cheers :P

Look I understand you made assumptions about what was being said, which happens to the best of us and is no big deal. But you also have a concerning argument or philosophy that seems to not be interested in assigning responsibility to the bad actors behind the scenes, but putting all of it (or only focusing) on the non-powerful people who get duped by the powerful ones. 

• Plus1 2

16 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Look I understand you made assumptions about what was being said, which happens to the best of us and is no big deal. But you also have a concerning argument or philosophy that seems to not be interested in assigning responsibility to the bad actors behind the scenes, but putting all of it (or only focusing) on the non-powerful people who get duped by the powerful ones. 

Yes, I generally put the legal results of a legal election on the voters who voted for that person.  I might be wrong, but the DNC did nothing illegal right?  But definitely immoral.  I also wish Presidential candidates wouldn't resort to lies and insults to "dupe" voters, but it happened.  And we have to own that outcome until we have really finally had enough to elect people to change the system.  But we'll most likely go round-and-round because parties and politicians will continue to "dupe" people.

It sucks, but the future of our nation depends on voters being able to do research and see through a ton of bull crap sometimes.  Unfortunately many people struggle.

1 hour ago, Frott Scost said:

We may have conflicts again this year in the process.  According to this article, there is a chance we could see the super delegates

being the king makers at the convention. 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/get-ready-for-a-contested-convention-11575505023

Going into the Super Tuesday contests on March 3, Mr. Biden would have 61 delegates, Ms. Warren 37, Mr. Sanders 31 and Mr. Buttigieg 26.

It could get even more splintered if the major candidates lurking right below the 15% threshold in New Hampshire, Nevada and South Carolina get a little wind in their sails. Unless someone gets huge momentum with big early wins, the race could remain fractured through March, making it mathematically impossible for any candidate to waltz into Milwaukee with a first-ballot majority.

In that case, the 765 superdelegates (the Democratic National Committee prefers to call them “automatic delegate votes”) could decide the nomination. A new rule prohibits them from voting on the first ballot but allows them in on the second. Imagine the anger on some parts of the convention floor if the superdelegates—party insiders and elites—go for someone other than the first-ballot leader.

Strange things happen at contested conventions. At the last such Democratic confab in 1952, the nominee was neither the front-runner, Sen. Estes Kefauver, nor Vice President Alben Barkley, ostensibly supported by President Harry S. Truman. Instead, on the third ballot, Democrats nominated Illinois Gov. Adlai Stevenson II.

21 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Yes, I generally put the legal results of a legal election on the voters who voted for that person.  I might be wrong, but the DNC did nothing illegal right?  But definitely immoral.  I also wish Presidential candidates wouldn't resort to lies and insults to "dupe" voters, but it happened.  And we have to own that outcome until we have really finally had enough to elect people to change the system.  But we'll most likely go round-and-round because parties and politicians will continue to "dupe" people.

It sucks, but the future of our nation depends on voters being able to do research and see through a ton of bull crap sometimes.  Unfortunately many people struggle.

I mean, as long as you're owning it. You blame voters, despite no immoral behavior, and do not blame the immoral bad actors. That's insane to me.

6 minutes ago, Landlord said:

I mean, as long as you're owning it. You blame voters, despite no immoral behavior, and do not blame the immoral bad actors. That's insane to me.

I blame the rules that allow for bad actors. And I also blame the electorate who blindly follow those bad actors.  

It’s why I’d support a candidate wanting to get money out of politics, or pass a ranked-voting measure, or make it easier for Independents to run for office.    I would love to see laws against misinformation in the media.  Until then, dems da breaks!

On 12/5/2019 at 11:13 AM, Moiraine said:

Danny is a moderate Democrat. I’m guessing he wasn’t one of those people. Not sure on funhusker. Everyone else either doesn’t have an opinion or thinks they screwed him over. 

I voted for Clinton but I don't know if I'd consider myself a moderate Dem. I actually prefer the term liberal but the Dems are who I have to hitch my wagon to in the U.S.

A lot of my beliefs are distinctly pretty progressive. Crony capitalism and corporate control of politics are key problems. We should be doing way more to address climate change. Legalize weed federally and tax it. Heck, mushrooms too. Healthcare shouldn't be primarily a for-profit venture. Single-payer would be a lot simpler and would be what I pick if I built our system from scratch. Shrink the military budget and spend the savings on the American people. ICE is horrendous. We should be welcoming immigrants and treating them like human beings, not terrorizing them. Trust busting would be good. Big Tech sucks.

I just don't share the scorn for moderate politicians/voters that a lot of progressives do. And am more skeptical of progressives ability to accomplish their plans. Getting things done matters a lot to me. I abhor virtue signaling if it accomplishes nothing.

• Plus1 3
5 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

I just don't share the scorn for moderate politicians/voters that a lot of progressives do. And am more skeptical of progressives ability to accomplish their plans. Getting things done matters a lot to me. I abhor virtue signaling if it accomplishes nothing.

This is me too.

Except I'd have rather had the chance to vote for Kasich over Clinton.  But was more than happy to vote for Clinton over Trump.

• Plus1 1
Just now, funhusker said:

This is me too.

Except I'd have rather had the chance to vote for Kasich over Clinton.  But was more than happy to vote for Clinton over Trump.

Yeah I get it. Kind of different strokes for different folks. I agree with the center-right here on a few things but much less so than the liberals, so Clinton was fine for me as despised as she was by most of the country.

America needs a sane, responsible center-right party in our two party system. We don't have one right now. Trump's GOP is a collection of grifters and zealots.

Plus, I recognized Trump for what he was immediately from the first ride down that escalator, so voting for Clinton never bothered me. It was always going to be anyone but Trump.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Danny Bateman said:

I voted for Clinton but I don't know if I'd consider myself a moderate Dem. I actually prefer the term liberal but the Dems are who I have to hitch my wagon to in the U.S.

A lot of my beliefs are distinctly pretty progressive. Crony capitalism and corporate control of politics are key problems. We should be doing way more to address it. Legalize weed federally and tax it. Heck, mushrooms too. Healthcare shouldn't be primarily a for-profit venture. Single-payer would be a lot simpler and would be what I pick if I built our system from scratch. Shrink the military budget and spend the savings on the American people. ICE is horrendous. We should be welcoming immigrants and treating them like human beings, not terrorizing them. Trust busting would be good. Big Tech sucks.

Thanks for elaborating. I’m not very good at keeping track of details.

I agree on the last. I’d like Warren or Sanders to be president but I don’t believe they’ll be able to get much passed. We have to start somewhere though and hopefully some minds will get changed.