The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

On 12/6/2019 at 1:08 PM, Moiraine said:

Thanks for elaborating. I’m not very good at keeping track of details.

I agree on the last. I’d like Warren or Sanders to be president but I don’t believe they’ll be able to get much passed. We have to start somewhere though and hopefully some minds will get changed. 

No biggie. Hard to keep tabs on everyone anyway.

I'm warming to Bernie personally as time goes on. It'd be nice to see an actual FDR-style liberal in office again. It's been too long. Though I remain skeptical, since in large part FDR's agenda was made possible (and publicly popular) by the worst financial disaster the world economy has ever known. Can we implement a new New Deal without that backdrop? I dunno. In a lot of ways, maybe not.

Seems worth trying, though, since it led to decades of middle class prosperity and unparalleled economic growth.

Also, not unlike going from Pelini to Riley, part of me just wants to wipe the slate clean and go from an absolute garbage human being to a good, honest one.

51 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

No biggie. Hard to keep tabs on everyone anyway.

I'm warming to Bernie personally as time goes on. It'd be nice to see an actual FDR-style liberal in office again. It's been too long. Though I remain skeptical, since in large part FDR's agenda was made possible (and publicly popular) by the worst financial disaster the world economy has ever known. Can we implement a new New Deal without that backdrop? I dunno. In a lot of ways, maybe not.

Seems worth trying, though, since it led to decades of middle class prosperity and unparalleled economic growth.

Also, not unlike going from Pelini to Riley, part of me just wants to wipe the slate clean and go from an absolute garbage human being to a good, honest one.

So like Nixon to Carter? (if we ignore Ford).

1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

So like Nixon to Carter? (if we ignore Ford).

Yep. Jimmy Carter is one of the most pure and wholesome human beings walking the face of the earth. It's been painful to watch his health troubles lately.

Didn't exactly work out. Despite his spotless demeanor he's not remembered as a particularly effectual president. Doesn't mean it's not worth trying again, though. For my money Trump is way worse than Nixon. Nixon at least did some stuff to benefit the average Joe.

On 12/6/2019 at 12:08 PM, Moiraine said:

I agree on the last. I’d like Warren or Sanders to be president but I don’t believe they’ll be able to get much passed. We have to start somewhere though and hopefully some minds will get changed. 

This argument makes no sense to me. We literally just watched Obama barely get anything done despite a veto-proof majority in Congress and then get absolutely nothing done once that majority was lost. Do you really think it'll be any harder for Warren or Sanders or easier for any of the other Dem candidates?

We've been down this road before. Biden keeps telling us that the Republican fever will break - except he's been wrong for almost a decade now:

Biden: GOP ‘fever’ will break after election (from 2012)

22 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

This argument makes no sense to me. We literally just watched Obama barely get anything done despite a veto-proof majority in Congress and then get absolutely nothing done once that majority was lost. Do you really think it'll be any harder for Warren or Sanders or easier for any of the other Dem candidates?

We've been down this road before. Biden keeps telling us that the Republican fever will break - except he's been wrong for almost a decade now:

Biden: GOP ‘fever’ will break after election (from 2012)

Edit: I don't think I understand what you're arguing with. I think Sanders and Warren would have the best shot of getting it done because they actually want to get it done. I just don't believe they'll get it done. But I would prefer one of them be the candidate and would be happy to vote for them.

6 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Edit: I don't think I understand what you're arguing with. I think Sanders and Warren would have the best shot of getting it done because they actually want to get it done. I just don't believe they'll get it done. But I would prefer one of them be the candidate and would be happy to vote for them.

You post was in reply to this one:

On 12/6/2019 at 10:56 AM, Danny Bateman said:

I just don't share the scorn for moderate politicians/voters that a lot of progressives do. And am more skeptical of progressives ability to accomplish their plans. Getting things done matters a lot to me. I abhor virtue signaling if it accomplishes nothing.

Maybe I should have replied to that post instead of yours, but the implication is that the progressive candidates will have a harder time than the other Dem candidates. I'm pushing back against that implication.

3 hours ago, RedDenver said:

You post was in reply to this one:

Maybe I should have replied to that post instead of yours, but the implication is that the progressive candidates will have a harder time than the other Dem candidates. I'm pushing back against that implication.

Progressive might have a harder time, but I don't care, because I don't know what the moderates are even trying to accomplish. They aren't going to get done what needs to get done because they don't agree with it. If Biden got elected my only hope would be that he undoes the dumb/awful s#!t Trump has done - but hopefully by making laws rather than more executive orders. But if Republicans have the senate again, that might be hard for him.

• Plus1 1

Biden - perhaps committing to being a 1 term president.  He may come out with this to ease the age issue.  Perhaps they may think that many might see him as a transitional president from the doofus in the office now to some in the future who may not be ready now or as  a steady hand to right the ship before handing it off to someone younger.

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/12/11/biden-single-term-082129

• Plus1 1

11 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Biden - perhaps committing to being a 1 term president.  He may come out with this to ease the age issue.  Perhaps they may think that many might see him as a transitional president from the doofus in the office now to some in the future who may not be ready now or as  a steady hand to right the ship before handing it off to someone younger.

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/12/11/biden-single-term-082129

Think of it as a “triage” presidency.  Stop the bleeding, assess where we are at, and try again in 4 years.

I could get behind it.

• Haha 1

Andrew Yang qualified for the next debate!   So for next week's debate we will have 7 candidates, potentially 8.   List is:

Biden

Warren

Sanders

YANG

Buttigieg

Klobuchar

Steyer

Gabbard is really close to qualifying.   She most likely will.

27 minutes ago, sho said:

Andrew Yang qualified for the next debate!   So for next week's debate we will have 7 candidates, potentially 8.   List is:

Biden

Warren

Sanders

YANG

Buttigieg

Klobuchar

Steyer

Gabbard is really close to qualifying.   She most likely will.

Gabbard has said she won’t do the debate regardless. 

1 hour ago, funhusker said:

Think of it as a “triage” presidency.  Stop the bleeding, assess where we are at, and try again in 4 years.

I could get behind it.

4 years of old Uncle Joe should be better than 4 more years of the status quo if the status quo were to remain the status quo. However,  I see the status quo getting much worse if Trump isn't kicked out of office for his "quid pro quo"  (just trying to see how may 'quo's I could get in that answer :P)