The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

1 hour ago, Frott Scost said:

You have the republican party to take care of you.  Not our fault Trump was your nominee.

SF I would think by now with all of BRB's posts - you could see he isn't a Republican and that he and I as conservatives don't label ourselves as republicans.  One can be conservative or lean center right wtout being a Repub.   

The Repub party abandoned their conservative underpinnings long ago.  They still speak the talk whenever it fits their needs but they rarely follow through in a meaningful way - I'm speaking from a fiscally conservative position.   I also did not vote for Trump.  At this point, those of us center right voters who did not vote for and won't vote for Trump have no candidate in the mix.  We can basically vote 3rd party, abstain, or hope for the Dem candidate who will be closer to the center.    

• Thanks 2
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm not a Republican and I don't support Trump.

So....thanks for telling me I shouldn't have someone to vote for.

Lots of people don’t have someone to vote for who is going to do anything that’s good for them. There’s no possible way two parties can represent 300 million + people well.

• Plus1 3

Kinda makes you wonder if all the primary jockeying is worth it, since the results can so easily be changed.

Remember - Senate Republicans have squelched election security bills three times.

Why would they do that, knowing how easy it is to hack the results?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Plus1 3

9 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

SF I would think by now with all of BRB's posts - you could see he isn't a Republican and that he and I as conservatives don't label ourselves as republicans.  One can be conservative or lean center right wtout being a Repub.   

The Repub party abandoned their conservative underpinnings long ago.  They still speak the talk whenever it fits their needs but they rarely follow through in a meaningful way - I'm speaking from a fiscally conservative position.   I also did not vote for Trump.  At this point, those of us center right voters who did not vote for and won't vote for Trump have no candidate in the mix.  We can basically vote 3rd party, abstain, or hope for the Dem candidate who will be closer to the center.    

I understand that.  What you guys cant answer for me is, who should people on the left vote for if dems keep picking moderates to represent people like you and bigredbuster?  Progressives are fighting to win their party back from corporate democrats and represent working people and people on the left.  I think moderate conservatives should do the same thing with republican party.  Both parties have abandoned their base, I get that. 

We can all write in Bernies name, but somehow I think that will piss off a bunch of people wanting to get Trump out. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Frott Scost said:

I understand that.  What you guys cant answer for me is, who should people on the left vote for if dems keep picking moderates to represent people like you and bigredbuster?  Progressives are fighting to win their party back from corporate democrats and represent working people and people on the left.  I think moderate conservatives should do the same thing with republican party.  Both parties have abandoned their base, I get that. 

The moderates.

There's no viable argument that voting any other way is better for the country. Any vote that results in a 2nd Trump term is wrong.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The moderates.

There's no viable argument that voting any other way is better for the country. Any vote that results in a 2nd Trump term is wrong.

Democratic lawmakers, corporate media personalities and big money democratic donors think otherwise.  You saw the video for yourself.

Does this same thought process apply for moderate dems and conservatives if Bernie is the nominee?  Or just for progressives?

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

Democratic lawmakers, corporate media personalities and big money democratic donors think otherwise.  You saw the video for yourself.

Does this same thought process apply for moderate dems and conservatives if Bernie is the nominee?  Or just for progressives?

I saw no video. If you're referring to the Fox News thing, I wouldn't watch that if you paid me.

Does that policy go for Bernie?  1,000% yes. If the nominee is a moderate or progressive Dem, you HAVE to vote for them.

Hell, I'd be OK voting for a moderate Republican if one would run against Trump, despite my current policy of "Vote Blue, no matter who."

6 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I saw no video. If you're referring to the Fox News thing, I wouldn't watch that if you paid me.

Does that policy go for Bernie?  1,000% yes. If the nominee is a moderate or progressive Dem, you HAVE to vote for them.

Hell, I'd be OK voting for a moderate Republican if one would run against Trump, despite my current policy of "Vote Blue, no matter who."

The video is a senator in the democratic party saying on live tv that he vote for Trump over Bernie. 

So that line you just said at the end gets Trump re-elected.  It is the same thing as every Bernie supporter writing in his name.  Every Warren supporter writing in her name, etc.  Either you vote for Bernie or you vote for Trump its that simple.  But moderates have a harder time saying they'd vote for Bernie no matter what.  But expect us to vote for the moderate no matter what.  Doesn't make much sense to me.

• Plus1 1

22 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

We can all write in Bernies name, but somehow I think that will piss off a bunch of people wanting to get Trump out. 

I understand the desire to win the party back from corporate dems - this is an issue with both parties. - Both parties  have been taken captive by corporate interests.  The SC ruling several years ago only strengthened this.   We need campaign reform badly and I think we both can agree on this. 

I think long term - post Trump -I say have at it - make the Dem party as left of center as you want. Let the voters decide if that is where America needs to go.   Actually there is the Communist Party of America if you want to really go left.  But right now, the cancer on the political landscape is Trump, His GOP supporters etc.   In times of a just war (think WW2), we become one America.  The same is true now.  We don't need an opposition candidate that will drive voters to Trump - even if they have to hold their noses to do so.  A more palpable center to center left candidate will give more voters a real choice to consider instead of Trump.  

PS:  I will most likely abstain vs voting for Bernie.   

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I understand the desire to win the party back from corporate dems - this is an issue with both parties. - Both parties  have been taken captive by corporate interests.  The SC ruling several years ago only strengthened this.   We need campaign reform badly and I think we both can agree on this. 

I think long term - post Trump -I say have at it - make the Dem party as left of center as you want. Let the voters decide if that is where America needs to go.   Actually there is the Communist Party of America if you want to really go left.  But right now, the cancer on the political landscape is Trump, His GOP supporters etc.   In times of a just war (think WW2), we become one America.  The same is true now.  We don't need an opposition candidate that will drive voters to Trump - even if they have to hold their noses to do so.  A more palpable center to center left candidate will give more voters a real choice to consider instead of Trump.  

PS:  I will most likely abstain vs voting for Bernie.   

:facepalm:

This is why I cant take conservatives seriously most of the time.  Bunch of bad actors.

33 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Lots of people don’t have someone to vote for who is going to do anything that’s good for them. There’s no possible way two parties can represent 300 million + people well.

But, there are candidates that encompass more of the electorate than the extremes on the right or left.  Right now, we have a President that only appeals to the extreme of one side.  It would be nice if there was something other than just the extreme from the other side.

OR....we can just keep having the two parties nominate more and more extreme candidates to piss off the other side.

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

The video is a senator in the democratic party saying on live tv that he vote for Trump over Bernie. 

So that line you just said at the end gets Trump re-elected.  It is the same thing as every Bernie supporter writing in his name.  Every Warren supporter writing in her name, etc.  Either you vote for Bernie or you vote for Trump its that simple.  But moderates have a harder time saying they'd vote for Bernie no matter what.  But expect us to vote for the moderate no matter what.  Doesn't make much sense to me.

No, they don't. If Bernie is the nominee, he'll get the moderate vote. People don't want trump again, and they'll vote for anyone.

The senator in the video is a doofus. He clearly doesn't represent the zeitgeist of this country right now.

@BlitzFirst  Because I won't watch a Fox video I live in an echo chamber. Good one.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

But, there are candidates that encompass more of the electorate than the extremes on the right or left.  Right now, we have a President that only appeals to the extreme of one side.  It would be nice if there was something other than just the extreme from the other side.

OR....we can just keep having the two parties nominate more and more extreme candidates to piss off the other side.

I don't know how many times we have to talk about the "extreme" left.  Its like Bernie and Warren answering the "how will you pay for it?"  And "will middle class taxes be raised" a zillion times even though they've answered it a zillion times already.

The "extreme" left you guys demonize so much wants to give people healthcare no matter their financial situation.  They want to give equal opportunity to people who want to get an education no matter their financial situation.  They want to stimulate the economy by canceling student debt instead of giving tax breaks to the rich and bailing out the people who caused the 2018 recession.  They want to legalize and tax marijuana and release non-violent drug offenders.  They want to reform the criminal justice system so people aren't locked up because of a profit motive.  They want to end war.  They want to make background checks on guns and end the gun show loopholes.  What part of this extreme, radical, evil plan do you disagree with?

4 minutes ago, knapplc said:

No, they don't. If Bernie is the nominee, he'll get the moderate vote. People don't want trump again, and they'll vote for anyone.

The senator in the video is a doofus. He clearly doesn't represent the zeitgeist of this country right now.

@BlitzFirst  Because I won't watch a Fox video I live in an echo chamber. Good one.

You just had a moderate two posts up say he will not vote for Bernie...

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1