The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

41 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

He's being misrepresented in the media.

Andrew Yang is as well.

These are important things to note in the primary.  If you are think oversights, outright lies, and misrepresentations when it comes to Yang and Sanders are acceptable I know a guy who lives in a white house that might have an opening on his staff. :sarcasm

All kidding aside, these things should be important to note...and we're noting them here.  He's not playing a victim because he doesn't care...he knows it's going to happen because it happened in 2016 as well.  It's his supporters that are bringing this stuff up.

So don't be fatigued with Bernie...it's not him that's noting this stuff...it's his supporters that are.  Be fatigued with them.  But give him a fair shake for being staunch and steady in his platform and not complaining about the media (Yang on the other hand, complains constantly...but I won't discuss that here).

Well said - I was a Bernie voter in the primary in 2016, so I see his candidacy as a real one, and a powerful one.  He has turned the party in the right direction.

His followers however I think take things to the extreme and that's a turn off to folks like me.  They aren't so different than the orange guys' followers in their obsession (maybe that's the wrong word - loyalty?)  They don't go so far with the the "ist's (racist, homophobic, misogynist etc) but the blind, aggressive support is scary to me.  

On 11/2/2019 at 5:49 PM, NM11046 said:

Well said - I was a Bernie voter in the primary in 2016, so I see his candidacy as a real one, and a powerful one.  He has turned the party in the right direction.

His followers however I think take things to the extreme and that's a turn off to folks like me.  They aren't so different than the orange guys' followers in their obsession (maybe that's the wrong word - loyalty?)  They don't go so far with the the "ist's (racist, homophobic, misogynist etc) but the blind, aggressive support is scary to me.  

I see this too, but I think it is probably mostly true of Bernie supporters online. Most of the ones I've talked to IRL are mostly just normal folks - much less fanatic about their support and hypersensitive to criticism.

Still this thread is pretty much just arguments for Bernie/Warren and why everyone else sucks at this point.

The case against leftist progressivism, to play devil's advocate, because much of this thread recently has been in support of Warren and Bernie.

Looking at the evidence, America wants off Mr. Trump's Wild Ride. Regardless of how stable his base is, the group of voters who don't like him is larger. A lot of folks who aren't hardcores but decided they'd give him a chance last time around have bailed. Even if they don't hate his policies, they realize he's a doofus and want to dump him based on his personality defects.

That people dislike Trump personally does not mean they support all progressive policies, nor the associated pricetags or the necessary increase of government involvement they require. This is especially so in swing states, which due to our stupid electoral system, are the only ones that matter.  From what it seems to me, they lean culturally conservative and are susceptible to GOP agitprop.

The case is that swing state voters don't actually want leftism, they want an alternative to Trump who will prosecute the case against him without rocking the boat too much. A Dem who will stay out of their own way and merely make this an election a referendum on Trump rather than societal upheaval & drastic change.

There's some evidence for this argument. For example, Tom Nichols (and other Never Trumpers) are pointing out with increasing fervency that they think Warren will struggle to appeal in Rust Belt swing states.