The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

1 minute ago, BlitzFirst said:

So if they fixed the tax breaks for the Wealthy and got them to pay their fair share...and they fixed the tax code for businesses...and they took over medicare for all causing a massive drop in healthcare costs...

A couple questions:

1) can you be more specific by what you mean by "fixing the tax code" and "rich paying their fair share"? I've already laid out that the top 1% of income earners pay more in taxes than the bottom 90%. How much more do they need to pay according to you.

2) In 2018, federal expenditures were over $4 TRILLION! Total GDP is $20Trillion. How much bigger should the federal budget get?

3) I don't see it as the best option, but our current healthcare system is the worst of all available systems, so I think we'd be better off with universal healthcare than where we are currently. However, I'd need clarification other than wishful thinking: In what ways would medicare for all / universal healthcare cause per capita healthcare costs to go down? Feel free to send a link if you'd like. I'd really like a legitimate conversation on this one.

• Plus1 1

8 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

So if they fixed the tax breaks for the Wealthy and got them to pay their fair share...and they fixed the tax code for businesses...and they took over medicare for all causing a massive drop in healthcare costs...

Do you think these would still be unfunded liabilities?

So... wait. You're saying that if we taxed the wealthy at the same or similar rates as we tax the Middle Class, we would have more money, and these unfunded social programs would be paid for?

Sounds like something a fiscally conservative person should be all for!

4 minutes ago, knapplc said:

So... wait. You're saying that if we taxed the wealthy at the same or similar rates as we tax the Middle Class, we would have more money, and these unfunded social programs would be paid for?

Sounds like something a fiscally conservative person should be all for!

Knapplc, you're sounding too much like a progressive today:P

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

And now you want to cut two very popular social programs?  Don't worry, by the time you reach 65 you probably won't be able to partake in these programs anyways because tax cuts for the rich are more important than funding healthcare and retirement for our seniors.

What are your thoughts on the INCREASE to the military budget in Trumps last budget proposal?  We already spend more than the next 10 countries combined and most of those countries are allies.  Just the increase in the military budget could have paid for college for every single American for 10 years.  Think about that for a second.

All I did was point out that they're 2 of the largest unfunded liabilities. Why jump to conclusions?... And I'd rather not get SS benefits if it meant I didn't have to pay in - not sure if you've ever actually looked at the numbers, but the payoff of that investment is negative...

If it were up to me, we'd not be in all the endless wars in the middle east, and the military budget would be much lower - but you're being intellectually dishonest. The budget for military increased by $34 billion. You'd have to prove your claim on that one...

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

And here's the propaganda from the far right, on cue.

But...

Don’t Fall for the Right’s Favorite Lie About Taxes

The answer: This is a classic example of how to lie with statistics. It’s shameless but effective propaganda, which is why the people with the most to gain from it pay propagandists to spread it widely. Anyone pushing this is trying to fool you, and you should ignore anything they say on any subject.

There are two main aspects to the deception.

First, these numbers refer only to federal income taxes. Both the federal and the income part are important.

The income tax is not the only tax collected by the federal government — far from it. Just half of the taxes collected by the federal government come from the income tax. About a third come from payroll taxes — which fall much more heavily on working people, since they’re largely levied only on the first $130,000 or so of earned income.

This means the rich pay a far lower payroll tax rate than regular people. A nurse making a salary of $50,000 per year pays (counting both the employee and employer side) 12.4 percent in OASDI taxes (for Social Security and disability insurance). But a sitcom star making a thousand times that, or $50 million a year, will pay the 12.4 percent only on the initial $130,000 of their salary, working out to a total OASDI tax rate of just 0.03 percent on their $50 million. And because OASDI taxes are only levied on earned income — meaning, money you make from a job — a billionaire investor with a $50 million annual income from dividends and capital gains will pay exactly zero percent in OASDI taxes.

Then there’s the fact that it’s not just the federal government that taxes Americans. There are also many, many state and local taxes: State income taxes, property taxes, sales taxes, and more. Some of these, such as sales taxes, are actually regressive — i.e., the less money you make, the higher tax rate you have to pay.

Second, the wealthy naturally pay a disproportionate share of federal income taxes because they make a disproportionate share of the country’s income. In other words, these numbers to some degree demonstrate exactly the opposite of what those who use them claim: They’re not an indication that the superrich are beleaguered, but are in part a sign of America’s staggering wealth inequality.

It is true that the federal income tax is still significantly progressive — that is, the tax rate is higher on higher income. But as Thomas Jefferson would tell you, this is exactly what should happen in a country like the U.S. Jefferson wrote this to James Madison in 1785 from monarchical France: “The property of this country is absolutely concentered in a very few hands … the consequences of this enormous inequality producing so much misery to the bulk of mankind, legislators cannot invent too many devices for subdividing property. … [One means is] to exempt all from taxation below a certain point, and to tax the higher portions of property in geometrical progression as they rise.” Adam Smith also believed in progressive taxes.

Lying, and lying over and over, doesn't make something true. 

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

If it were up to me, we'd not be in all the endless wars in the middle east, and the military budget would be much lower - but you're being intellectually dishonest. The budget for military increased by $34 billion. You'd have to prove your claim on that one...

The military budget increased by $82 billion from 2017 according to this article.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2018/06/19/u-s-military-budget-inches-closer-to-1-trillion-mark-as-concerns-over-federal-deficit-grow/

Sanders plan will cost $70 billion.  And lets remember, these plans are estimated over a 10 year period, not yearly.

https://www.nola.com/news/politics/article_bb20b634-2c55-56da-9a10-6ee76be1fe26.html

• Plus1 2