The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

19 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Really?  I never got that feeling.

The Dem establishment wanted to nip Bernie Sanders in the bud, didn’t really want Elizabeth Warren either, but didn’t consider her a threat, and really would have preferred not running Biden. Kamala  Harris looked progressive but tracked moderate and enjoyed an early burst of excitement. It would have saved the DNC a lot of grief if she had stayed a front runner 

Harris dropping out is proof the party, the establishment, does not pick their candidate. Everything Guy said is true, and yet her campaign fizzled.

If we can all agree on that, I often wonder why people spend so much time worrying about said establishment. I know it's a popular thing to rage against. But it's much like this nefarious Deep State we hear so much about from some folks.

An entity so devious and so devoted to halting Donald Trump's rise it signlehandedly orchestrated a clandestine plot that ultimately... got him elected.

It's very clear that to an extent there is a political establishment, and if there is a secretive Deep State, they are feckless and terrible at doing what they set out to do.

• Plus1 1
26 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

There are allegations from a former DNC chair that Clinton effectively took over the DNC for her 2016 election...leaked emails to wikileaks supported this notion:  https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/11/02/clinton-brazile-hacks-2016-215774

So, the establishment can be dangerous and pick their candidate if the above is true.  Read the above...it's a VERY interesting read.

Well yeah, I assumed this was well-known.

But it's not a two-person field right now.

5 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

Harris dropping out is proof the party, the establishment, does not pick their candidate. Everything Guy said is true, and yet her campaign fizzled.

I disagree. It's proof that the establishment is not all powerful, nothing more.

The establishment absolutely picked their candidate in 2016. "They" are the reason Sanders was not nominated.

And to answer knapp's question, it's an amorphous designation, but anyone who is a Democrat and is entrenched in power and has great personal interest in not allowing status quo to be rocked too much, and thus acts in a way that benefits them but is neutral or actually against the public, would qualify as the Democratic establishment. 

• Plus1 1

10 hours ago, Landlord said:

I disagree. It's proof that the establishment is not all powerful, nothing more.

The establishment absolutely picked their candidate in 2016. "They" are the reason Sanders was not nominated.

And to answer knapp's question, it's an amorphous designation, but anyone who is a Democrat and is entrenched in power and has great personal interest in not allowing status quo to be rocked too much, and thus acts in a way that benefits them but is neutral or actually against the public, would qualify as the Democratic establishment. 

Clinton won the nomination because more Democratic voters voted for her.  Plain and simple.

https://www.vox.com/2016/5/6/11597550/superdelegates-bernie-sanders-clinton

8 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Do you think there’s any correlation between campaign funding and votes?

Obviously, yes.  But it still comes down to everyday voters.

If "establishment" means "majority" than I guess I don't have a problem with it.  I always get the impression that people think the "establishment" is a group of people in a back room saying, "I know the people want Sanders, but we're going to go ahead and nominate Hillary."

Maybe I'm just making incorrect assumptions...

1 minute ago, ActualCornHusker said:

So super delegates had nothing to do with it eh?

Read the article.  The superdelegates would have went to Sanders if he had more votes.