The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

29 minutes ago, Ulty said:

Yep, but in a few years, you won't be able to find anyone who will admit to have ever supported Trump. They will likely just shrink away and never own up to their role in the damage done to this country.

Yep.   In the primaries I went from one candidate to another as each flamed out. I had hoped that Trump, after being elected and sworn in was going to 'mature' into the office.  It became evident pretty quickly that this wasn't going to happen. I've been an  active opponent ever since. 

Just now, TGHusker said:

Yep.   In the primaries I went from one candidate to another as each flamed out. I had hoped that Trump, after being elected and sworn in was going to 'mature' into the office.  It became evident pretty quickly that this wasn't going to happen. I've been an  active opponent ever since. 

Ya I know someone like that.  Actually, even I thought he’d tone down his antics once he won. I figured becoming the president would have been enough for his ego. Then day one he couldn’t even handle the crowd size. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

What does it mean to be an active opponent?

2 minutes ago, TheSker said:

What does it mean to be an active opponent?

speaking up here on HB, on emails and when family and friends say stupid things in support of stupid things trump does/says.   As a former American History undergrad, I'm not afraid to speak up about the concern I have on Trump's affect on politics, culture, his un-presidential words and actions - and give some historical perspective. It is ok being 'unconventional' but it isn't ok when it tears apart our social and political fabric in doing so and mostly likely undermining our country's values and laws in doing so (Russian investigation).   Also writing to my representatives when I disagree wt stuff he does. That doesn't do much since all of my reps are GOP AND Trump supporters to the core.  

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2
3 hours ago, TGHusker said:

speaking up here on HB, on emails and when family and friends say stupid things in support of stupid things trump does/says.   As a former American History undergrad, I'm not afraid to speak up about the concern I have on Trump's affect on politics, culture, his un-presidential words and actions - and give some historical perspective. It is ok being 'unconventional' but it isn't ok when it tears apart our social and political fabric in doing so and mostly likely undermining our country's values and laws in doing so (Russian investigation).   Also writing to my representatives when I disagree wt stuff he does. That doesn't do much since all of my reps are GOP AND Trump supporters to the core.  

Gotcha.  So by "active" you mean "vocal"?

How are you determining your effectiveness?

15 hours ago, TheSker said:

Gotcha.  So by "active" you mean "vocal"?

How are you determining your effectiveness?

It depends  on how the person reacts after I release them from the locked box:o

Cannot control how someone responds, thinks or believes.  One can try to be a positive influence and hope for the best.

20 hours ago, Ulty said:

Yep, but in a few years, you won't be able to find anyone who will admit to have ever supported Trump. They will likely just shrink away and never own up to their role in the damage done to this country.

Nah, they'll just eyetroll anyone that tries to remind them of their crimes. 

I may have to pull for Schultz if no one more moderate shows up on the Dem side and no one challenges and defeats Trump on the GOP  side.

The Dem party is loosing me - the candidates are trying to 'out progress' each other - from paid college, 70% taxes, medicare for all,  abortion wtout restrictions, etc .  To beat Trump if he is re-nominated (help us if that occurs:bang) the Dems need someone to appeal not to just their base - they will get their base voters but also appeal to moderate or even center right voters.  There are many things to admire about Sen Harris but after listening to her laundry list of progressive ideas, I tuned out.   Bernie and Biden are just too old.  I might vote for a pro-choice person (but not a late term advocate) as we've seen the president has little influence outside of appointing judges (which isn't a little thing but it hasn't helped the pro-life side as much as one would think over the last 50 years).   By the candidates I've seen thus far, the Dem party seems engaged in pushing the pendulum as far left as they can. 

Where are the moderates in the party?

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Former-Stabucks-CEO-has-spent-months-researching-13571868.php

Before announcing his presidential ambitions this week, former Starbucks chief executive Howard Schultz secretly undertook a months-long effort to prepare an independent presidential campaign against the nation's two-party political system, deploying more than six national polls and laying the groundwork for paid advertising that could debut in the next two months.

The full reach of the project suggests that his stated goal of disrupting the U.S. political process is not likely to fade away anytime soon, despite enormous historical barriers to success and Democratic predictions that his entry in the race will help President Donald Trump get reelected.

An early advertising effort, made possible by Schultz's net worth of about $3.4 billion, would be designed to help Schultz show early promise in national polls during his book tour, which he has described as a time to test the appeal of his ideas.

"If I decide to run for president as an independent, I will believe, and have the conviction and the courage to believe, that I can win," Schultz said in an event Monday in New York City.