The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

This Warren-Sanders thing is making Warren look bad to me, not Sanders.

If they had a private meeting between friends then she is betraying his trust by revealing that he said this, especially if they’re friends as they claim to be. I myself have stated that I was concerned that only a white male could beat Trump. That doesn’t mean I’m sexist or racist. All I care about is Trump losing the election. I would prefer him to lose to a gay Muslim half Black half Hispanic vegan woman because that would piss him and his followers off the most, but I want his opponent to be the person with the best chance of beating him.

Long story short, I see (almost) nothing wrong with Sanders sharing this concern. Maybe he shouldn’t have shared it with Warren of all people, though. I do think he did say something and she’s not just making this up.

• Plus1 1

Seems like it's pretty rapidly heading towards a Biden vs. Sanders decision, IMO. I mean, Warren and Pete are still nominally around, Yang is still out there with people who love him, Klobuchar had a good debate... but it's definitely trending like those two will be the last two standing. Especially if the two of them manage to pick up wins in IA/NH/NV before Super Tuesday.

Kind of funny, isn't it? After having the largest, most diverse field the Democratic party has ever seen, we've kind of reverted back to the same offerings of 2016.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

This Warren-Sanders thing is making Warren look bad to me, not Sanders.

If they had a private meeting between friends then she is betraying his trust by revealing that he said this, especially if they’re friends as they claim to be. I myself have stated that I was concerned that only a white male could beat Trump. That doesn’t mean I’m sexist or racist. All I care about is Trump losing the election. I would prefer him to lose to a gay Muslim half Black half Hispanic vegan woman because that would piss him and his followers off the most, but I want his opponent to be the person with the best chance of beating him.

Long story short, I see (almost) nothing wrong with Sanders sharing this concern. Maybe he shouldn’t have shared it with Warren of all people, though. I do think he did say something and she’s not just making this up.

She stabbed her “friend” and “ally” square in the back at the time he needed her the most, when it was down to him and Biden. Pretty sure she made a deal with Biden to become his VP. But anyone that was claiming “they are the same” was dead wrong. 

35 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Seems like it's pretty rapidly heading towards a Biden vs. Sanders decision, IMO. I mean, Warren and Pete are still nominally around, Yang is still out there with people who love him, Klobuchar had a good debate... but it's definitely trending like those two will be the last two standing. Especially if the two of them manage to pick up wins in IA/NH/NV before Super Tuesday.

Kind of funny, isn't it? After having the largest, most diverse field the Democratic party has ever seen, we've kind of reverted back to the same offerings of 2016.

All about ideology. If AOC was running instead of Bernie it would be AOC vs Biden. Warren has shown she is a fauxgressive especially over the last few days and has lost all the progressive support she had. 

Warren is slipping in the polls and needed a hail mary. She lobbed this story out there to see if she could reel Bernie back in. It hasn't worked, and unless she pulls a rabbit out of her hat in Iowa & New Hampshire, she's going to end her campaign in a bit.

I'm sure Bernie isn't happy about the conversation being leaked and characterized the way it was, but I'm also sure this won't drastically affect their friendship.  My guess is Warren will endorse Bernie during her concession statement (and I think Bernie will endorse Warren if the roles are reversed).

This whole thing is a non-story.

2 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Assuming it is a true conversation that actually happened...otherwise, it is an outright lie by Warren.  And of course, we have no proof it did...and goes against everything Bernie has EVER said or done in his entire lengthy career.

It doesn't go against Bernie's long-standing contention that "a woman could be president" to say, "The voters aren't ready to elect a woman."

Both can be true, and he very well could have said that and the Warren camp is putting a characterization on it that Bernie didn't mean.

Thing is, even if he did say that... so what? It doesn't mean anything bad, and the reaction to it seems to bear that out.

Notice that the story isn't what Bernie allegedly said, because even if it's true, it's nothing. The story the press is pushing is the drama that statement caused.

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Warren is slipping in the polls and needed a hail mary. She lobbed this story out there to see if she could reel Bernie back in. It hasn't worked, and unless she pulls a rabbit out of her hat in Iowa & New Hampshire, she's going to end her campaign in a bit.

I'm sure Bernie isn't happy about the conversation being leaked and characterized the way it was, but I'm also sure this won't drastically affect their friendship.  My guess is Warren will endorse Bernie during her concession statement (and I think Bernie will endorse Warren if the roles are reversed).

This whole thing is a non-story.

If lip readers are correct Bernie told her during their post debate heated exchange that they are done, so Im not sure if there is a friendship anymore. If she was a real progressive she would have went after Biden (who she hasnt gone after this entire campaign cycle) and united the left. Instead she went after her biggest “ally” and it backfired big time. 

She will endorse Biden 100% and it will be the icing on the cake to anyone who ever said Bernie and Warren “are the same”. 

1 minute ago, Frott Scost said:

If lip readers are correct Bernie told her during their post debate heated exchange that they are done, so Im not sure if there is a friendship anymore. If she was a real progressive she would have went after Biden (who she hasnt gone after this entire campaign cycle) and united the left. Instead she went after her biggest “ally” and it backfired big time. 

The whole thing sounds like high school drama.

1 minute ago, Frott Scost said:

after Biden (who she hasnt gone after this entire campaign cycle) and united the left. Instead she went after her biggest “ally” and it backfired big time.

Maybe she is playing the long ball.  1st she desires the VP spot under Biden if she can't land the top spot.  2nd  Biden serves 4 years and doesn't run again and Liz gets the mantle to be the nominee in 2024.

5 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Maybe she is playing the long ball.  1st she desires the VP spot under Biden if she can't land the top spot.  2nd  Biden serves 4 years and doesn't run again and Liz gets the mantle to be the nominee in 2024.

I guarantee this is what happened. And she betrayed a friend in order to climb the ladder. It backfired. She is through. Biden will not want her anymore because she lost her progressive base and she brings nobody new to the table. 

I should say she lost whatever was remaining of her progressive base after she backed away from MFA and her polling tanked. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

I guarantee this is what happened. And she betrayed a friend in order to climb the ladder. It backfired. She is through. Biden will not want her anymore because she lost her progressive base and she brings nobody new to the table. 

Besides, where else are the progressives to go if Biden wins the nomination?  Biden can choose  Mini Mouse and they will have to side with Biden - along with the rest of us who want Trump 1st not elected and 2nd thrown in jail after the SDNY gets access to him.

2 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

But it does.  The claim wasn't that he said "the voters aren't ready to elect a woman"  The claim is that he "didn't think a woman could win" which actually is completely different.  The onus isn't on the voter...it's with the candidate and the sex of the candidate is the reason.  IF it were 'the voters aren't ready' then it wouldn't be nearly as controversial.

Remember, Bernie campaigned at over 39 events in 2016 for Hillary...I'm sure he did this because he thought she couldn't win.  He saw that she won the popular vote...thus I'm sure he probably naturally thinks that a woman couldn't win right?

What you're asking me to believe is that he went against this logic above and flat out stated that a woman could win?  Makes about as much sense as an elevator in an outhouse.

Again, that's not what's being reported. Here's Warren's statement:

“Among the topics that came up was what would happen if Democrats nominated a female candidate. I thought a woman could win; he disagreed,” she said. “I have no interest in discussing this private meeting any further because Bernie and I have far more in common than our differences on punditry.” She added that she and Mr. Sanders were “friends and allies” and said she believed they would continue to work together to beat Mr. Trump.

People are extrapolating an entire belief out of that extremely innocuous statement, and it's unwarranted (pardon the pun).

I will double-dog guarantee that Warren campaigns for Bernie if he wins.

Just now, TGHusker said:

Besides, where else are the progressives to go if Biden wins the nomination.  Biden can choose  Mini Mouse and they will have to side with Biden - along with the rest of us who want Trump 1st not elected and 2nd thrown in jail after the SDNY gets access to him.

Not vote for vote third party. Idk half the country didnt vote last election. Im sure half the country wont vote again if Biden is the nominee because he cant even excite his own dog when he comes home from a long day at work.