The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

46 minutes ago, commando said:

this is what i've been saying.   

I mean... eh???

Sure, Biden is the natural front-runner with the name and the Vice President pedigree, but how many people do you honestly know that are fired up to vote for Joe Biden?

I think if I'm trump & Putin and that lot, Biden is the natural target. But as an American voter, regular-schmegular dude... Biden is only really palatable because he is not trump. 

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

The only reason it's not nothing is it makes Warren look bad. Not shaking his hand on stage looks sad and desperate to me.

So far assumptions here have been that A) Warren is lying or B) what Bernie said is being mischaracterized.

Though I find it unlikely, a scenario exists wherein the exchange happened pretty much as advertised. You said yourself someone thinking that isn't necessarily wrong. What if Bernie just came right out and said as much? In that scenario Warren would be justifiably pissed off because Bernie would have just flat-out lied about it last night and gotten away with it.

Edit: According to this that's exactly what happened. 

16 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

So far assumptions here have been that A) Warren is lying or B) what Bernie said is being mischaracterized.

Though I find it unlikely, a scenario exists wherein the exchange happened pretty much as advertised. You said yourself someone thinking that isn't necessarily wrong. What if Bernie just came right out and said as much? In that scenario Warren would be justifiably pissed off because Bernie would have just flat-out lied about it last night and gotten away with it.

It not necessarily being wrong doesn't mean it's a palatable thing for certain people to hear, which is what Warren is trying to bank on. "What if Bernie just came right out and said as much" - that isn't how politics works, especially right now. Anything he said other than an outright denial would be used against him by Trump. I think it's worse of her to reveal this part of a private conversation to the public than it is for him to deny saying it. I don't think she has any right to be pissed off, because she did all of this for political gain, to hurt him. Her people are who started it in the first place.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

It not necessarily being wrong doesn't mean it's a palatable thing for certain people to hear, which is what Warren is trying to bank on. I think it's worse of her to reveal this part of a private conversation to the public than it is for him to deny saying it. I don't think she has any right to be pissed off, because she did all of this for political gain, to hurt him. Her people are who started it in the first place.

I disagree.

But if you tell me tomorrow that you think men are inherently the less intelligent sex, and we're competing for some position, and I tell a couple of my friends you said that. and my friends then leak this as sources, and the media circles back around to me, and I tell the thruth and say "Yeah, Moiraine said that..."

And then you turn around in public and say, "I never said that," that equates to you calling me a liar. And we're still competing. Even if you're pulling ahead, I'm supposed to just not get mad about that?

• Plus1 1

8 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

I disagree.

But if you tell me tomorrow that you think men are inherently the less intelligent sex, and we're competing for some position, and I tell a couple of my friends you said that. and my friends then leak this as sources, and the media circles back around to me, and I tell the thruth and say "Yeah, Moiraine said that..."

And then you turn around in public and say, "I never said that," that equates to you calling me a liar. And we're still competing. Even if you're pulling ahead, I'm supposed to just not get mad about that?

I'll give you some time to complete the analogy, because it's missing a lot of important information, e.g. the ramifications of a completely incompetent person we both disagree with getting the position. It's also using a much worse statement than the one Sanders is accused of making - why not just use the same statement he made? Moiraine thinks a man can't get the position over Suzy.

Also if Suzy continues to keep the position, the entire company might burn to the ground. Oh and Moiraine and Danny both agree with each other for the most part on what they would do once hired for the job, and it would help the company a lot. Oh and they're currently in a room full of 100 people who are going to vote on who should get the job, or if Suzy should keep it, and a lot of them already like Suzy and several are prone to changing their minds and supporting Suzy and it's best not to give Suzy extra ways to sway them to let her keep the position.

7 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I'll give you some time to complete the analogy, because it's missing a lot of important information, e.g. the ramifications of a completely incompetent person we both disagree with getting the position. It's also using a much worse statement than the one Sanders is accused of making.

Whether or not Warren would beat Trump is irrelevant to the point I was trying to make. This isn't going to work, Warren's not going to be the nominee, etc. etc.

If you don't like my hypothetical statement, replace it with "I don't think a man can do this job."

This isn't me being in the tank for Warren - at best she's probably my 3rd or 4th option right now. And I'm not saying this isn't a lame politician thing to do trying to get a leg up on Bernie. But if the reporting is accurate and Bernie issued a denial that makes her seem like a liar, I think she's justified in being upset about that.

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Whether or not Warren would beat Trump is irrelevant to the point I was trying to make. This isn't going to work, Warren's not going to be the nominee, etc. etc.

If you don't like my hypothetical statement, replace it with "I don't think a man can do this job."

This isn't me being in the tank for Warren - at best she's probably my 3rd or 4th option right now. And I'm not saying this isn't a lame politician thing to do trying to get a leg up on Bernie. But if the reporting is accurate and Bernie issued a denial that makes her seem like a liar, I think she's justified in being upset about that.

Why would I replace it with that? Again, you’ve made your analogy worse than what actually happened. You can just say the same thing he said.

”Moiraine thinks a man can’t get the position over Suzy.”

What Bernie is accused of saying isn’t nearly as bad as saying men are dumber than women or a man can’t do the job. He was talking about being able to get the job, which if your analogy was good, might mean preventing the building from burning down. In your analogy, Moiraine would love it if Danny got the job. Above all else she wants Suzy out. 

See my edited post above. Your example isn’t good if you don’t try to make it a similar situation. 

8 hours ago, Moiraine said:

The only reason it's not nothing is it makes Warren look bad. Not shaking his hand on stage looks sad and desperate to me.

I wonder if she felt it made her look strong.  

I saw/heard the talk after the debate was over...she clearly knew the mics were hot...I think it was calculated and smart on her end.  

I don't think it will matter though.

47 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I wonder if she felt it made her look strong.  

I saw/heard the talk after the debate was over...she clearly knew the mics were hot...I think it was calculated and smart on her end.  

I don't think it will matter though.

It was totally political. It’s probably smart for her to try something right now since she’s trailing. I just don’t think this was a good idea. 

• Plus1 1