The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

11 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

I've actually got a very reasonable take on why Sanders is not a strong general election candidate despite the polling but it generally just gets met with derision and disbelief by most of his supporters. 

If anyone wants to hear it I can give it a whirl.

give it a whirl my friend - I'm all ears.

Remember when so many people assumed it was Biden's race to lose? Trump was so scared of Biden that he abused the powers of the office to try and dig up dirt on the guy.

Was Biden even on the stage yesterday? Everything I'm reading says Bernie did well, Bloomberg got a lot of face time (not in a good way) and Warren showed well.

Nobody's talking about Biden.

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Remember when so many people assumed it was Biden's race to lose? Trump was so scared of Biden that he abused the powers of the office to try and dig up dirt on the guy.

Was Biden even on the stage yesterday? Everything I'm reading says Bernie did well, Bloomberg got a lot of face time (not in a good way) and Warren showed well.

Warren won probably.  Bloomberg should have just kept buying ads and stay as far away from debates as possible.  He puts people to sleep.  Boring, no presence, not one part of his personality is likeable.  Pretty much showed the entire world hed get embarrassed by Trump and everything Trump has been tweeting about him is spot on.

Ive watched all these debates and Ive never seen someone boo'd before.  Bloomberg got boo'd on multiple occasions lol.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

Warren won probably.  Bloomberg should have just kept buying ads and stay as far away from debates as possible.  He puts people to sleep.  Boring, no presence, not one part of his personality is likeable.  Pretty much showed the entire world hed get embarrassed by Trump and everything Trump has been tweeting about him is spot on.

Ive watched all these debates and Ive never seen someone boo'd before.  Bloomberg got boo'd on multiple occasions lol.

Ha...it really is amazing how boring some people can be when they are up on stage like that.

I watched the full debate last night and found it pretty entertaining to say the least.   My take on it:

1.  Bloomberg is an arrogant snob who seems to think he can buy the election. He appears to be as much of a slime ball as Trump but with perhaps better business skills and voices more compassionate policies NOW that he is running for Pres.  He is however still a slime ball and should not be anywhere near the WH.  As Liz Warren said after the debate, he needs to get out of the race, check his ego, and just donate his money to help defeat Trump.

2. Mayor Pete - or should I say Perfect Plastic Pete.  I think Amy nailed him by saying we can't all be as perfect as him with all of his memorized platitudes and talking points.  Pete is like the little barking dog who is standing behind his bull dog buddy.  Pete attacks everyone out of a pious attitude but has no substantial experience to back up his worthiness for the job.  Anyone can be a critic, few can be real movers and shakers -getting things done. He was the mayor of a city that is the same size as one of Tulsa's bedroom communities - big whoop. 

3. Liz Warren - at first I thought she was trying too hard. Trying to over exert herself. She pointed out the flaws of everyone on stage- repeatedly.  But she kind of redeemed her self with her hard attacks on Bloom which were spot on. She also came to Amy's defense when Pete unfairly attacked her and the moderator asked an unfair question.   She set herself apart from Bernie.  In the end I was back to neutral with her performance.

4. Uncle Joe - Biden was in and out.   I'm thinking he is at the mental state where he is just too old for all of this.  Not sure how he'd do one on one against trump. When he did talk, he had decent things to say but he just faded in an out. He didn't act like a front runner.

5.  Sanders - Bernie was Bernie -  I was not convinced about his strategy to pay for his health care plan.  I still question his ability to beat Trump.

6.  Amy - I think she was the most 'likeable' person on the stage.  Of course this isn't a personality test.  I did think she did a good job in defending her positions when attacked.  She tried to present herself as a doer who  got things done and as a uniter - an anti-trump in that regard.  i think she had a good debate. 

If I had a vote in the Nevada primary it would be for Amy or Biden.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
43 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I watched the full debate last night and found it pretty entertaining to say the least.   My take on it:

1.  Bloomberg is an arrogant snob who seems to think he can buy the election. He appears to be as much of a slime ball as Trump but with perhaps better business skills and voices more compassionate policies NOW that he is running for Pres.  He is however still a slime ball and should not be anywhere near the WH.  As Liz Warren said after the debate, he needs to get out of the race, check his ego, and just donate his money to help defeat Trump.

2. Mayor Pete - or should I say Perfect Plastic Pete.  I think Amy nailed him by saying we can't all be as perfect as him with all of his memorized platitudes and talking points.  Pete is like the little barking dog who is standing behind his bull dog buddy.  Pete attacks everyone out of a pious attitude but has no substantial experience to back up his worthiness for the job.  Anyone can be a critic, few can be real movers and shakers -getting things done. He was the mayor of a city that is the same size as one of Tulsa's bedroom communities - big whoop. 

3. Liz Warren - at first I thought she was trying too hard. Trying to over exert herself. She pointed out the flaws of everyone on stage- repeatedly.  But she kind of redeemed her self with her hard attacks on Bloom which were spot on. She also came to Amy's defense when Pete unfairly attacked her and the moderator asked an unfair question.   She set herself apart from Bernie.  In the end I was back to neutral with her performance.

4. Uncle Joe - Biden was in and out.   I'm thinking he is at the mental state where he is just too old for all of this.  Not sure how he'd do one on one against trump. When he did talk, he had decent things to say but he just faded in an out. He didn't act like a front runner.

5.  Sanders - Bernie was Bernie -  I was not convinced about his strategy to pay for his health care plan.  I still question his ability to beat Trump.

6.  Amy - I think she was the most 'likeable' person on the stage.  Of course this isn't a personality test.  I did think she did a good job in defending her positions when attacked.  She tried to present herself as a doer who  got things done and as a uniter - an anti-trump in that regard.  i think she had a good debate. 

If I had a vote in the Nevada primary it would be fore Amy or Biden.

Very good breakdown.  These are pretty much my thoughts also for the most part.

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

I’m really thinking a lot of people are wrong about Sanders. He’s polling decently in the toss up states. Anecdotally, my brother’s in-laws are staunch Republicans and they wanted to vote for him last time.

i too would have voted for him in 2016...he was preferable to the two we ended up with

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

If I had a vote in the Nevada primary it would be fore Amy or Biden.

I only watched like 25 minutes... But as someone who honestly could lean either way in most elections(except when Trump is involved), I do have some major concerns with some of the Dem candidates.

That being said, I am very ready to move on from Trump, and sadly because we have the stupid 2 party system here, I am forced to go for a Dem.

I like Mayor Pete the most, but do have some concerns similar to what your mentioned.. I just dont know if he is ready.

Bernie is a bit too extreme left for me. I respect what he says, but he isnt my first choice. Warren is still far left but I like her.

I am from Minnesota and still cant get a read on Amy. I honestly am surprised she is still in this.

Biden has done nothing for me. He just seems lost or like he is expecting the nomination to be handed to him.

At this point, I honestly dont think any of these candidates have a great shot against Trump because they are all going to miss ina  crucial area.

Mayor Pete cant get the minority vote.

Bernie cant get the independent vote.

I honestly think the best candidate is Elizabeth Warren.

I dont claim to be a great political mind, so happy to hear anyone who disagrees with my points and feel free to convince me who might be the best for the Dem party and America.

Trump supporters need not apply. You will not convince me he is good for this country. 

• Plus1 1

16 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

I only watched like 25 minutes... But as someone who honestly could lean either way in most elections(except when Trump is involved), I do have some major concerns with some of the Dem candidates.

That being said, I am very ready to move on from Trump, and sadly because we have the stupid 2 party system here, I am forced to go for a Dem.

I like Mayor Pete the most, but do have some concerns similar to what your mentioned.. I just dont know if he is ready.

Bernie is a bit too extreme left for me. I respect what he says, but he isnt my first choice. Warren is still far left but I like her.

I am from Minnesota and still cant get a read on Amy. I honestly am surprised she is still in this.

Biden has done nothing for me. He just seems lost or like he is expecting the nomination to be handed to him.

At this point, I honestly dont think any of these candidates have a great shot against Trump because they are all going to miss ina  crucial area.

I dont claim to be a great political mind, so happy to hear anyone who disagrees with my points and feel free to convince me who might be the best for the Dem party and America.

Trump supporters need not apply. You will not convince me he is good for this country. 

Word. All of this (except for the part about watching the debate. I don't hate myself enough to watch these things)

25 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders, vote for whoever you think will best represent you! I’ve leaned Bernie for a little while, but that’s just who I think will best represent me and bring on the change I want for my kids future. I don’t really think about the “can he/she beat Trump” thing, right now I’m just focused on who I want to represent me. Don’t overthink it, if Liz is who you feel is the best candidate and she represents you best - that is as good a choice as any.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, knapplc said:

I thought Joe did better last night than at anytime Ive seen him in past few months. He spoke better and didn't come off quite as much as the stroke victim he's seemed lately. He pretty much  stayed out off the really nasty exchanges for the most part and seemed a bit of a non-factor. I think he's probably done.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, teachercd said:

I suppose it is good that we are seeing how lame Biden is right now instead of if he made it to office.

Warren is done, everyone knows that.

Bloomie is still interesting because of his cash

Sanders is clearly the front runner now

Pete is going to win it...just not yet

Ehh she is on the outside looking in but I would not say she is done. She is many peoples #2. I think she still has a chance

1 hour ago, Minnesota_husker said:

People I have no idea where this talking point comes from other than anecdotal evidence so of there is actual data to back this up show me but EVERY poll I see, Sanders does extremely well with independents. Back up your claims with facts or data and not opinion. 

• Thanks 1