The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

6 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Ehh she is on the outside looking in but I would not say she is done. She is many peoples #2. I think she still has a chance

A Liz/Amy ticket would be interesting.  Bernie/Liz may scare some people but it would be consistent.    I don't think Liz is done yet but Nev and SC are big tests. She has to do well in both states to stop the floodgates opening for Bernie.  The next debate is crucial for her as well.    I wonder what Bloom will do to prepare for the next debate as he didn't appear to have any prep for this first one.  What a disaster - glad for it. I never realized what kind of sleaze ball he was until I saw him on stage last night.

4 hours ago, knapplc said:

Remember when so many people assumed it was Biden's race to lose? Trump was so scared of Biden that he abused the powers of the office to try and dig up dirt on the guy.

Was Biden even on the stage yesterday? Everything I'm reading says Bernie did well, Bloomberg got a lot of face time (not in a good way) and Warren showed well.

Nobody's talking about Biden.

The Ds don't like the early front runner.  You run towards the exciting fresh face.  That's why I'm worried about Pete B.

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

A Liz/Amy ticket would be interesting.  Bernie/Liz may scare some people but it would be consistent.    I don't think Liz is done yet but Nev and SC are big tests. She has to do well in both states to stop the floodgates opening for Bernie.  The next debate is crucial for her as well.    I wonder what Bloom will do to prepare for the next debate as he didn't appear to have any prep for this first one.  What a disaster - glad for it. I never realized what kind of sleaze ball he was until I saw him on stage last night.

That's why it won't happen.  Sanders and Warren are splitting the same subset of voters which you don't want in the general.  If she drops out than his odds of the nomination shoot up.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, TGHusker said:

I watched the full debate last night and found it pretty entertaining to say the least.   My take on it:

1.  Bloomberg is an arrogant snob who seems to think he can buy the election. He appears to be as much of a slime ball as Trump but with perhaps better business skills and voices more compassionate policies NOW that he is running for Pres.  He is however still a slime ball and should not be anywhere near the WH.  As Liz Warren said after the debate, he needs to get out of the race, check his ego, and just donate his money to help defeat Trump.

2. Mayor Pete - or should I say Perfect Plastic Pete.  I think Amy nailed him by saying we can't all be as perfect as him with all of his memorized platitudes and talking points.  Pete is like the little barking dog who is standing behind his bull dog buddy.  Pete attacks everyone out of a pious attitude but has no substantial experience to back up his worthiness for the job.  Anyone can be a critic, few can be real movers and shakers -getting things done. He was the mayor of a city that is the same size as one of Tulsa's bedroom communities - big whoop. 

3. Liz Warren - at first I thought she was trying too hard. Trying to over exert herself. She pointed out the flaws of everyone on stage- repeatedly.  But she kind of redeemed her self with her hard attacks on Bloom which were spot on. She also came to Amy's defense when Pete unfairly attacked her and the moderator asked an unfair question.   She set herself apart from Bernie.  In the end I was back to neutral with her performance.

4. Uncle Joe - Biden was in and out.   I'm thinking he is at the mental state where he is just too old for all of this.  Not sure how he'd do one on one against trump. When he did talk, he had decent things to say but he just faded in an out. He didn't act like a front runner.

5.  Sanders - Bernie was Bernie -  I was not convinced about his strategy to pay for his health care plan.  I still question his ability to beat Trump.

6.  Amy - I think she was the most 'likeable' person on the stage.  Of course this isn't a personality test.  I did think she did a good job in defending her positions when attacked.  She tried to present herself as a doer who  got things done and as a uniter - an anti-trump in that regard.  i think she had a good debate. 

If I had a vote in the Nevada primary it would be fore Amy or Biden.

3 hours ago, Frott Scost said:

Very good breakdown.  These are pretty much my thoughts also for the most part.

Mine too. That is the exact same impression I got after last night's debate. Only difference is, I have no idea who I'd vote for today or who I will 7 months from now.

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

Yeah, I thought the same thing.

I mean I picked up that much just on the appraised value increase of my home in the last 2 years....

Part of that makes me like him more but it makes me even more leery of his capabilities to go shopping at Walmart, let alone running a city or the country.

• Fire 1
Just now, JJ Husker said:

I mean I picked up that much just on the appraised value increase of my home in the last 2 years....

Part of that makes me like him more but it makes me even more leery of his capabilities to go shopping at Walmart, let alone running a city or the country.

Maybe he shops at Mom and Pop shops...so a lot of his net worth is spent on expensive oranges. 

• Haha 1
13 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

The Ds don't like the early front runner.  You run towards the exciting fresh face.  That's why I'm worried about Pete B.

That's why it won't happen.  Sanders and Warren are splitting the same subset of voters which you don't want in the general.  If she drops out than his odds of the nomination shoot up.

yes, if Warren drops - Sanders will be the nominee. Her best hope is a brokered convention I think.   The main stream dems will push for anyone but Bernie and may settle on a candidate that may be palatable to his followers - like Warren.  I think that is part of the reason, besides the push back she received after her rise to the top, she has somewhat moderated her health care plan.  I think she wants to play to the middle somewhat without letting go of the left.  Let's face it - if the Dems go to round 2 or 3 at the convention it is because:

1. Biden will be proven to be senile by then

2. They will see Bernie as not electable.   By then Trump & his Russian friends will be well on their way to cast Bernie as a communist.

3. Pete - will fade and seen as not experienced enough.  Trump bots will be trashing Pete's love life by then as well in order to inflame religious passion against him.

4. No way the Dems nominate Bloom - they can't go after corrupt trump if they have corrupt Bloom as nominee

So that leaves us wt Liz and Amy.    While I like Amy (if I were a voting Dem in a Dem primary) - Liz may be the candidate that would still excite the Bernie base (If they don't all just carry their ball home in a huff after Bernie fails to win the nomination) and with a moderate VP - she could pull in some Indep and GOPers who don't like Trump.   At the same time, I can see Amy as a compromise candidate - appealing to the moderates, younger than Biden, older and more experienced than Pete, and with an open personality to pull in Bernie supporters and appealing to GOPers and independents.    (In the background noise is the sound of Hillary wishing for a brokered convention so she can sweep in as the white knight to save the party)

11 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Holy .......!

Can it really be accurate that Buttigieg only has a net worth of $100K? Heck, if you've even owned a house for 5 years you'd cover that unless you were goofy in debt.

Pete made just over $100k as mayor, and Chasten earned about $50k (2018 figures) as a middle school teacher. The median cost of a home in South Bend is roughly $82k...

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/30/pete-buttigieg-says-his-monthly-mortgage-payment-is-450.html