The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

7 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

I think someone like Demings would help. A lot of Bernie's core supporters seem to think he's going to pick someone who's ideologically the same as him. The two most common names I've heard have been Tulsi or Nina Turner, an ex-state senator from OH who was a surrogate for him in 2016 and a national co-chair of his campaign. Or even a progressive unity ticket with Warren.

IMO if Bernie wins he should run the campaign he wants to, but traditionally a VP balances the ticket instead of doubling up with another anti-establishment figure or leftist.

Don't get me wrong - I'll happily vote for the Dem ticket no matter who wins and will even try to find some time to canvass for them since we're moving to Michigan in the late summer or early fall. It will be nuts to live in a place where I feel like my vote actually matters! I'm just a lot more skeptical of Sanders' chances to win than some others.

Stacey Abrams would be a moderate lean pick for VP, I don't know if he would ever pick her tho.

52 minutes ago, sho said:

Personally, whomever gets the nod, I'd love to see Val Demings get the nod for VP.  I think she would help with the Law & Order crowd, minority and female voters, and I think she would be critical for the state of FL.   Also, I think FL will be lean blue for the next few elections, even with Bernie, based on the change on felony voting rights changing.   I think most of those voters lean Dems, which IMO moves FL from purple to blue.

Demings would be an interesting pick.

If the Democratic nominee flips FL, that's likely ballgame. 

4 hours ago, teachercd said:

Sanders Vs Trump...will be must watch TV.  

To old men that don't give a f#&% about what they say or when they say it...

Which one is Statler and which is Waldorf?

Seriously though you cannot have a presumptive nominee before S.C. much less Super Tuesday.  I'm hoping for a repeat of 2012 where everyone not named Romney got a week long push as the buyer's remorse set in.

38 minutes ago, QMany said:

Demings would be an interesting pick.

If the Democratic nominee flips FL, that's likely ballgame. 

FWIW it's one of the states I'm most worried about if we nominate Sanders.

Praise of Fidel will be broadcast on loop by the Trump campaign and the significant population of defected Cubans in the state is not going to like it.

5 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

I think this is overblown. Diamond Joe is not great in debates, and has a tendency to say some really goofy stuff on the campaign trail, but neither of those have anything to do with actually doing the job.

You are 'under'blowing his mental competency. And glossing over some very aberrant/abhorrent behavior with little girls. And even those things withstanding, he's a run of the mill centrist classic politician, which would be OK and fine enough any  other time over the last few decades, but after the erosion and speed of decline ushered in by Trump, electing someone such as that would be bad for the country. 

If Trump took us downhill at 110mph, Biden will maybe only get us back up at 25. We need aggressive counteracting of the damage that has been done; not gracious political conceding of an ever further right-shifting 'middle'. 

• Haha 1
16 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Please provide proof that he's someone who just says stupid things without thinking like Trump.  I'll agree with you if you do.

Huh?

To old men that don't give a f#&% about what they say or when they say it...

Where did I say "stupid"?

I will assume your next reply will be an apology for you have hurt my feelings.

Also, you just made the wall of shame for worst types of posting responses!  https://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/91866-best-andor-worst-posting-replies/page/2/#comments

1 hour ago, Landlord said:

You are 'under'blowing his mental competency. And glossing over some very aberrant/abhorrent behavior with little girls. And even those things withstanding, he's a run of the mill centrist classic politician, which would be OK and fine enough any  other time over the last few decades, but after the erosion and speed of decline ushered in by Trump, electing someone such as that would be bad for the country. 

If Trump took us downhill at 110mph, Biden will maybe only get us back up at 25. We need aggressive counteracting of the damage that has been done; not gracious political conceding of an ever further right-shifting 'middle'. 

I don't doubt Biden's not as mentally agile as he was in his heyday. But I'm not one to indulge in dementia or pedophile fever dreams because I think they're a bunch of crap.

I do agree with your take on where Trump has taken us. But politicians can ignore the middle at their own peril. If we nominate someone who gets their a$$ kicked by Trump, we continue on the path to decline we are on.

• Plus1 1

9 hours ago, Decoy73 said:

This scares the heck out of me too. I like Bernie, but despite what polls say now, I don’t think he can win. I still maintain only Biden and Bloomberg. Although the other candidates are doing their best to paint Bloomberg as a Democratic Trump. 

Biden or especially Bloomberg will get absolutely mauled by Trump in every debate. Bloomberg was smug while getting his a$$ kicked in that debate. Poor Biden is having trouble just getting to the points he's trying to make - I feel bad for him.

2 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Really? Have you seen Bloomberg or Biden in the debates? Biden used to be good but is clearly struggling with putting together coherent thoughts. Bloomberg is flat out terrible.

Bloomberg has been in all of one debate and he endured about 6 people constantly attack him about his money and past transgressions.  How could anyone look good in that situation?  This past one was the only debate I've watched, but I thought Biden looked OK. Nothing bad, nothing spectacular.  

The thing is though, what makes you think Trump will be a good debater?  He wasn't against Hillary and I'd actually be surprised if he would agree to more than one debate, if that.  There is a trove of Trump's bad behavior the Dem could pile on him almost at will and could cause him to loose his cool very easily.  So, while I don't see any of the dems as particularly "good" debaters, I certainly don't see Trump as one.  I think he's scared to do them and will likely think of an excuse to get out of it.