The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

3 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

https://www.npr.org/2019/03/04/700121429/bernie-sanders-files-to-run-as-a-democrat-and-an-independent

https://www.politifact.com/article/2020/mar/02/how-can-bernie-sanders-run-democratic-primary-when/

He registered to run the 2020 presidential race as a Dem so he could have the support (i.e. $ and party recognition) Ironically, he registered to run in his 2024 Senate race for VT as an Independent.

He's never become a Democrat, and he never had the intention to do so - you can not run for President and have any hope of success as an Independent.  He upped his chances to stay in the race by putting himself on a blue ticket.

I'd also say Bloomberg wasn't a dem but was running as one.  And Tulsi, well that's a whole other ball of wax, but imho she also is not a Dem.

Sounds like HE was using the Dems!

Why wouldn't I vote for Bernie?

-Because he will absolutely be able to get it passed to raise taxes

-Because he will absolutely NOT be able to get Universal healthcare passed

And he would raise taxes to astronomically high amounts knowing full well it would take the rest of his term, if ever, to turn that taxation into healthcare relief.  Then he's out after 4 years, if that many, and we are stuck with the same crap healthcare problem and even higher taxation.  Maybe I'm alone on this.

• Thanks 2
10 minutes ago, Redux said:

And he would raise taxes to astronomically high amounts knowing full well it would take the rest of his term, if ever, to turn that taxation into healthcare relief.  Then he's out after 4 years of that many and we are stuck with the same crap healthcare problem and even higher taxation.  Maybe I'm alone on this.

But SWEDEN!!!  My god...haven't you heard about how great it is in Sweden!!! 

• Haha 2
21 minutes ago, teachercd said:

But SWEDEN!!!  My god...haven't you heard about how great it is in Sweden!!! 

Does Sweden have a political system in place that would completely prevent actual change to their infrastructure and politicians pockets?

• Plus1 1
Just now, Redux said:

Does Sweden have a political system in place that would completely prevent actual change to their infrastructure and politicians pockets?

No one knows...because no one actually knows anything about that country...people just pretend like they know all about it!

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Redux said:

And he would raise taxes to astronomically high amounts knowing full well it would take the rest of his term, if ever, to turn that taxation into healthcare relief.  Then he's out after 4 years of that many and we are stuck with the same crap healthcare problem and even higher taxation.  Maybe I'm alone on this.

The average American would not see an increase in taxes.
https://www.bernietax.com/#undefined;undefined;s

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/sanders-tax-plan-52-percent/

How exactly do you think he would be able to raise taxes but not get universal healthcare passed?

2 minutes ago, Fru said:

How exactly do you think he would be able to raise taxes but not get universal healthcare passed?

Because unless the two party system is magically disappearing, it's a pipe dream.  Republicans, hell even most Dems, would be ALL for raising taxes and that would get pushed through the express lane.  Then there's the matter of turning those taxes into money for healthcare.

It's like handing a glutton a triple chocolate fudge cake and saying, "Okay, now YOU'RE in charge of giving that back to all of us at the birthday party."  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Redux said:

Yeah, this part.  How does one decide who falls into "average American" territory?   

Well did you read the info in the link? Tax rates would remain unchanged for those making under $200k/yr. A simple google search shows that the average American income is approx $63k/yr. 

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, teachercd said:

It is done now, right?  Biden is the nomination.  

I feel bad for Sanders, his own party treated him so poorly.  And he is probably never running again now.

Bernie would be 83 in just over 4 years. Age is already a big enough problem. 

IMO, Biden gives the dems the best chance to dethrone Trump. I always questioned Bernie’s ability to garner moderate votes. 

16 minutes ago, Fru said:

Well did you read the info in the link? Tax rates would remain unchanged for those making under $200k/yr. A simple google search shows that the average American income is approx $63k/yr. 

Lol yes, I've seen the Bernietax calculator plenty of times.  Color me shocked it predicts all this extra disposable income on HIS website :lol:

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, Redux said:

Lol yes, I've seen the Bernietax calculator plenty of times.  Color me shocked it predicts all this extra disposable income on HIS website :lol:

Another poster on this board pointed it out to me, Bernie nor his campaign created that site. Just used his policy as the template. My current income and health expenses would leave me less money - it’s not just pumping out sunshine and rainbows.