The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

2 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Honestly, Democracy says to vote for anyone you want.  You can literally write in anyone.  Participating in this democratic process how the FOUNDERS INTENDED is NOT voting for a bad candidate.  It's voting for who you feel should get in the office.

Voting is primarily an act done out of principle and out of one’s value system.  I don't compromise my values just because you guys are trying to sell me some logical failure of an argument.

These are the same arguments we all made in 2016.  So I'm supposed to respond with my four-year-old argument, and we keep going round and round.

Just not going to do that.

You vote how you feel is best. I'm free to disagree with that.  We'll all survive, I'm sure. 

Although I'm pretty offended I dropped a funny Highlander quote back there and nobody mentioned it.

11 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

Like I said, spin it all you want.

You'll never prove logically that not voting for A is the same as voting for B.  It's impossible and it's a logical fallacy everyone tries to push on people who vote 3rd party.

Keep responding with your false equivalency argument because, after all,  you can't become more wrong.

No matter what you say, 3rd party vote is NOT a wasted vote and 3rd party vote is NEVER a vote for 1st or 2nd candidate.

4 hours ago, teachercd said:

The stones on him!

Trump:  Here is 1,000 for everyone...

Sanders:  Wait...make it 2,000!

Ha!  What a move!

When you waste votes on a third party, their ideas get absorbed by the big two.

• Plus1 1

If Bernie drops out, it'll be because he doesn't want to make people stand in lines to vote during the pandemic.

Mathematically he's basically out of it, but by staying in he could leverage some concessions during the convention.

Getting out would be the responsible thing to do.  Biden actually listening to Bernie would be the responsible thing to do.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, BlitzFirst said:

Joe will say he is going to listen to Bernie and will tell younger voters he 'hears them'.

If he wins, he'll drop them on their heads and drop all their policies.  He'll drop healthcare reform as an issue, he'll drop income inequality, he'll drop wall street changes.  He'll drop all of these things as the donations roll in from the lobbyists.

Lastly, he'll drop all those issues because he's comfortable lying.  He's comfortable saying one thing and doing another.  He's comfortable making promises he can't keep, and claiming that he's accomplished things he hasn't.

I'm so disappointed in people in this country right now...because we're going to have to choose between two men who have dementia for our next president who don't give two s#!ts about working class.

Someday....when you have time.

Please let us know how you really feel about Joe.

• Haha 3

Kids my sons age (in their 20s) do not like this one bit.  They feel their voice isn't heard.  When they and generations younger than them take over, there will be sweeping change.  I'm ready for it now.  I'm tired of broken government that is supposed to be by the people, for the people isn't.

This attitude by young people is tired and whiney.

The voters voted and this is who they nominated.  If they wanted their voice heard MORE, then they should have gotten out and voted MORE.  It's simple as that.

The good thing for them, is they have a long time to have influence on the country and our government.  But, their feelings or opinions aren't any more or less important than any other age group.  They also have the same voter influence as any other age group.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

Bernie vs Biden aside for a moment....

How will there not be sweeping change after all of the COVID-19 stuff is over (crosses fingers)?

It has exposed holes in healthcare.

It has exposed holes in what America expects of workers.

It has put a spotlight on "essential" services.

It has exposed the fragility of the worlds economy.

I'm going to vote "blue no matter who" because I have zero trust that a Trump presidency would be able to "rebuild" our systems.  None.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, BlitzFirst said:

This attitude from old people is ignorant and entitled.

Wanna know why younger people are pissed off?  Because in the 1960's and 1970's you could be a shoe salesman and support a family of 4 and buy a house.  I know this is true because my grandfather did it.  Those days are gone.  There is no more American dream.  Boomers had their American dream because they grew up with it still being attainable.  When they hear the younger generation complain that it can't be done, then they're whiney and tired and are summarily dismissed...because they need to pull themselves up by their bootstraps and just put their nose to the grindstone and work!  Except, that's what they're doing and they still can't make it.

The boomers are the largest generation...there are more of them now than any other generation.  When they die off in the next 10 years or so, a massive swing will happen in the other direction.

Gen X and below are more progressive than those above.  I'm ready for it now....as I've stated, this isn't the America I fought for in the desert...where people hoard wealth and power and elect people to keep them with plenty of both.

Well, it's sad that they have been convinced of all of that.  The bolded is just flat out wrong.  I know people in this exact age group that have started their own small businesses and doing well.  I know people in this age group that came from nothing and got a college education without huge amounts of debt and are doing well.  

Are there issues that need addressed?  Hell yes.  Our healthcare system is one of the major ones.  

But, the attitude that if Bernie isn't President, the world is all going to hell and there isn't any reason to even try anymore because nobody cares about our opinions...bla bla bla......is exactly what I said...tired and whiney.  

I typically don't rag on the younger generation.  I actually think they hold a great amount of promise and they are doing great things.  However, this attitude is just how I described it.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 3

So, you might think you have the younger generation nailed down..but you don't.  It's not as you described above...save for a few outliers.

Sooo...I shouldn't generalize an entire generation....but.....you just did.

Yeah...old people are ignorant.  It would be nice if they would have an entire life of experiences to fall back on to formulate their opinions.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

BTW, not everyone can start their own business so your assertion that this proves what I said false is weak.

I said that my grandfather was able to buy a house, a car, and provide for a family of 4 by selling shoes in a shoe store.  He was a common worker and could provide for his family.

Try having someone do that now.  THAT is the loss of the American dream.  Go and watch this documentary...it was released in 2016 or 2017 but was filmed before Trump was elected.  It's almost prophetic in what it predicts will happen...but it also gives you perspective on why the American dream has died.

Well, thanks for the information.

I guess I should go home and tell my three kids that are in their early 20s to give up.  Bernie and Yang aren't going to be President so there's no hope.

The attitude that I've been talking about is exactly what this generation is known for.  They want what they want NOW and if they don't get it, they are pissed.

Life isn't like that....And...quite frankly, politics in America shouldn't be.  Major change should be slow and methodical.  If you don't think things are changing, you are your kids are severely wrong.  If you want major change done fast towards the Progressive side, just be aware that it means major change can be done fast the other way too.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1