The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

55 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Well, I guess we know why Biden has been conspicuously absent:

It shouldn't surprise me that the Dems are going to put up this weak candidate, but I keep being amazed.

Nice cut off and not letting him finish what he was saying.  He obviously used a wrong word than he intended.

7 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Biden literally says nothing would fundamentally change including their standard of living. And not a word about taxes anywhere in there. He then says that he won't let them down. Just what we need, somebody taking the side of the mega-rich!

Just because he's not as eager to play class warfare doesn't mean he's taking the side of the mega-rich. If that were the case the ideas and platform he's running on would not be as progressive as they are.

But again whether you think he'll follow through is up to you. I just find online progressives like those two spend far too much time arguing in bad faith to bother listening to.

12 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Nice cut off and not letting him finish what he was saying.  He obviously used a wrong word than he intended.

Here's the actual interview.  It around the 3:30 mark.  He went on to explain his thoughts and was on point.  At least he wasn't rambling about his genes and a smart uncle....

24 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I don't think the VP choice really moves the needle much anyway, but Klobuchar appeals to the same voters as Biden. It'd be the same as when Hillary picked Kaine - hurt her with progressives and didn't help her with anyone else.

Well I'm looking beyond Biden as president.  I think there is a good likely hood that the VP will become president before the first term is completed.  So, I'm not looking for the VP to be a needle mover - there will be enough anti-trump voters to do that regardless.  I'm looking at who I think would be a good president when the time comes.   I think she has the personality to be what I think we will need at that point.  After this C-19 stuff is behind us, we won't need another partisan hack in the WH like we have now.

Knapp did a good job noting her positions on various issues.  She is progressive enough to get progressive support but not so much to turn away moderates.

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

What... did he even say there?

His VP choice is going to be the most crucial decision in my lifetime. Without question.

My exact thoughts after I heard this. I was going to ask - what did he just say??:blink:  I just hope the Dems can put enough scaffolding around him to hold up until after the election - some how get him through the debates.   I think he has to go with either Amy or Sen Harris. 

47 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

My first thought was there was no way the full thing sounded that bad. Biden says plenty of baffling and stupid things, no need to edit him so he sounds dumber.

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

Well I'm looking beyond Biden as president.  I think there is a good likely hood that the VP will become president before the first term is completed.  So, I'm not looking for the VP to be a needle mover - there will be enough anti-trump voters to do that regardless.  I'm looking at who I think would be a good president when the time comes.   I think she has the personality to be what I think we will need at that point.  After this C-19 stuff is behind us, we won't need another partisan hack in the WH like we have now.

Knapp did a good job noting her positions on various issues.  She is progressive enough to get progressive support but not so much to turn away moderates.

The person who literally said we cant do that to every progressive proposal is progressive? I mean making college tuition free would be cheaper than the added budget of an already bloated military budget that she voted for and she told people she would love to put free tuiton under everyones seat but she cant because its too expensive. She might be “progressive” to anti-Trump conservatives but thats about it. 

Saying gay people are not bad is not progressive in 2020. It was progressive in the 70s when Bernie Sanders said it. 

• Plus1 1
40 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

The person who literally said we cant do that to every progressive proposal is progressive? I mean making college tuition free would be cheaper than the added budget of an already bloated military budget that she voted for and she told people she would love to put free tuiton under everyones seat but she cant because its too expensive. She might be “progressive” to anti-Trump conservatives but thats about it. 

Saying gay people are not bad is not progressive in 2020. It was progressive in the 70s when Bernie Sanders said it. 

The problem for some progressives is no one but Sanders or those in his clique are progressive enough for them.

I'm inclined to believe we should not move heaven and Earth to placate them because I don't believe it is about policy nor platform.

This piece from a Bernie volunteer agrees.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

Klobuchar and Biden are NOT progressive. All you have to do is look back a few weeks at all the discussion about the moderates in the Dem field needing to cooperate to defeat Sanders. Neither of them are going to "get progressive support". The way Biden can win is because enough progressives realize Trump is much worse. Basically the same strategy as Hillary in 2016.

4 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

The problem for some progressives is no one but Sanders or those in his clique are progressive enough for them.

Or maybe it's because progressives have different politics and policies than you and the moderates.

4 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

I'm inclined to believe we should not move heaven and Earth to placate them because I don't believe it is about policy nor platform.

You're welcome to have that opinion, but it's exactly what I heard in 2016. Maybe you should think about making some concessions to the progressive wing of the party. But I'm going to bet the Dem party (not you) is going to pivot to the right and try to get those mythical Republicans voters.

54 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Klobuchar and Biden are NOT progressive. All you have to do is look back a few weeks at all the discussion about the moderates in the Dem field needing to cooperate to defeat Sanders. Neither of them are going to "get progressive support". The way Biden can win is because enough progressives realize Trump is much worse. Basically the same strategy as Hillary in 2016.

Or maybe it's because progressives have different politics and policies than you and the moderates.

You're welcome to have that opinion, but it's exactly what I heard in 2016. Maybe you should think about making some concessions to the progressive wing of the party. But I'm going to bet the Dem party (not you) is going to pivot to the right and try to get those mythical Republicans voters.

I respect your different opinions as well, but for me the reality of the situation is that a Biden administration with a bluer Congress is far, far more progressive than another four years of Trump. I know that may seem like moderates giving progressives an ultimatum (vote for Biden or get Trump!) but it's just an objective, factual statement as far as I am concerned. 

When I said I don't think it's about policy, I meant it. Biden adopting Warren's bankruptcy plan and tuition-free college as a nod to Bernie were met with derision. Biden could adopt Bernie's platform wholesale and these folks would not be on board. For this small subset of progressives (i.e., the Bros), it's not about policies or plans. It's that they morally reject BIden or moderate liberalism themselves. 

But I don't think that group is very large, so I think the advice to just ignore them is probably a good idea.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, RedDenver said:

I don't think the VP choice really moves the needle much anyway, but Klobuchar appeals to the same voters as Biden. It'd be the same as when Hillary picked Kaine - hurt her with progressives and didn't help her with anyone else.

It doesn't move it at all, no one votes for the President because of their VP.

Everyone voting for the President in this next election has (probably) made up their mind who they are voting for...those that have not...are not worried about who the VP is/might be.

19 minutes ago, teachercd said:

It doesn't move it at all, no one votes for the President because of their VP.

Everyone voting for the President in this next election has (probably) made up their mind who they are voting for...those that have not...are not worried about who the VP is/might be.

vps are suppose to help carry their home state.  it's always been a consideration when choosing vps 

2 hours ago, commando said:

vps are suppose to help carry their home state.  it's always been a consideration when choosing vps 

Then Biden should pick someone from Michigan.

On a related note, one of the only reasons I wanted Biden over Sanders was I think Biden has a better chance of winning Pennsylvania.