The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

Just now, RedDenver said:

Yes!!! Every election is about being convinced who to vote for and even whether to vote at all! The majority of people aren't just going to vote the way that you think they should. It's all about convincing them - as it has always been for the history of politics.

And if you think just the "responsible" people are going to carry Biden to victory, you're going to be sad.

Every election you need that. Not appealing to the voters that can help you win is the pinnacle of being passive.

You can wish people were the way you want them to be, but that's not going to help defeat Trump.

If the last four years haven't convinced you to vote for a garden gnome if it's on the ballot against Trump, nothing Joe Biden says will.

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

You. You have to vote for someone.

No, I don't. This is a free country where I choose to participate. I don't have to vote for anyone. I don't have to contribute to a broken system if I don't want to.

Don't be passive. Be proactive.

Unless you're Joe Biden, in which case no need to try earning votes, just blame any potential failure on the passive voters?

• Plus1 1
Just now, knapplc said:

If the last four years haven't convinced you to vote for a garden gnome if it's on the ballot against Trump, nothing Joe Biden says will.

It's like you don't understand people, politics, or winning. You're arguing that Biden shouldn't do the things that are most likely to beat Trump. It's crazy.

• Thanks 1
Just now, Landlord said:

No, I don't. This is a free country where I choose to participate. I don't have to vote for anyone. I don't have to contribute to a broken system if I don't want to.

Unless you're Joe Biden, in which case no need to try earning votes, just blame any potential failure on the passive voters?

Joe Biden isn't filling out your ballot (or choosing not to vote out of protest of a broken system).

It's like you don't understand people, politics, or winning. You're arguing that Biden shouldn't do the things that are most likely to beat Trump. It's crazy.

Joe Biden is not filling out your ballot.

Just now, knapplc said:

Joe Biden is not filling out your ballot.

Neither is Trump or Bernie or Hillary. So what?

If Biden and his campaign is too arrogant, incompetent, or lazy to actually try appealing to voters, he'll lose. Regardless of your moral high ground.

I look at it this way.

If Biden beats Trump in 2020, the GOP might look at it and say "yeah, Trump was pretty bad"

Biden (or Biden's VP) beats a Trump"like" candidate in 2024, GOP has to say "hmmm, maybe America isn't taking this anymore"

Biden"like' candidate wins in 2028, GOP says "we really need to take a look at our platform.

etc.

The pragmatic approach is to make sure we elect "dems" so that the GOP has to come back to the ranch.  The further the right goes, the less likely a candidate like Sanders would win, let alone be successful in implementing policy.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

Neither is Trump or Bernie or Hillary. So what?

If Biden and his campaign is too arrogant, incompetent, or lazy to actually try appealing to voters, he'll lose. Regardless of your moral high ground.

This is how Trump will get reelected. Right here.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I look at it this way.

If Biden beats Trump in 2020, the GOP might look at it and say "yeah, Trump was pretty bad"

Biden (or Biden's VP) beats a Trump"like" candidate in 2024, GOP has to say "hmmm, maybe America isn't taking this anymore"

Biden"like' candidate wins in 2028, GOP says "we really need to take a look at our platform.

etc.

The pragmatic approach is to make sure we elect "dems" so that the GOP has to come back to the ranch.  The further the right goes, the less likely a candidate like Sanders would win, let alone be successful in implementing policy.

I think it will take 2 election cycles to purge the GOP of the cult.  We have to remember that Trump didn't create the cult - it already existed. He just read the tea leaves and manipulated the all to ready cult followers to accept him as their leader.  He is an opportunist and went to the place where the opportunity was the easiest to implement. 

:facepalm:

Yeah, arguing Biden should appeal to voters - that'll get Trump elected.

Do you think this is the same kind of election we've been having the past, say, 40 years? Or do you think this election cycle, with all you've learned the past four years, may be a little different?

Because if it's the former, you have not been paying attention.

Do you think this is the same kind of election we've been having the past, say, 40 years? Or do you think this election cycle, with all you've learned the past four years, may be a little different?

Agree.

If our choice were Trump or Mitch McConnell, I would make a point and be excited to go to the polls and vote for McConnell.

4 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I think it will take 2 election cycles to purge the GOP of the cult.  We have to remember that Trump didn't create the cult - it already existed. He just read the tea leaves and manipulated the all to ready cult followers to accept him as their leader.  He is an opportunist and went to the place where the opportunity was the easiest to implement. 

When the GOP lost in 2008 I thought they'd make some changes to try to appeal to a larger part of the population. Instead, they went full bore into gerrymandering so they could fix the map in their favor. I think the only way the GOP gets better or goes away is if Trump is elected again and things get terrible.

Just now, knapplc said:

Yes, I think Trump is dangerous and needs to be defeated. That doesn't change the actual election, no matter how much you or I or anyone else might want it to.

But none of this has anything to do with whether Biden should appeal to voters. If you don't think Biden should appeal to voters, then you haven't paid attention to the entire history of elections. Or you're not serious about beating Trump.

1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

When the GOP lost in 2008 I thought they'd make some changes to try to appeal to a larger part of the population. Instead, they went full bore into gerrymandering so they could fix the map in their favor. I think the only way the GOP gets better or goes away is if Trump is elected again and things get terrible.

I think the quickest way to blow up the GOP as it is today is to elect Dems in control of the House & Senate and investigate the hell out of the Trump larceny of the past four years. Name names when it comes to the people who abetted those crimes.

If that doesn't happen it's because both parties are too corrupt to fix, and then I see us going down the road of the Roman Republic.

But none of this has anything to do with whether Biden should appeal to voters. If you don't think Biden should appeal to voters, then you haven't paid attention to the entire history of elections. Or you're not serious about beating Trump.

I have never said that. I have been saying throughout this whole conversation that this should be irrelevant.

Ideally Biden would appeal to the broadest class of voters he can. The only place I think you and I disagree is the extent to which he should be courting Bernie voters. And we're likely not that far off.

I'm simply saying in this single election that responsible voters (which I think you & @Landlord are based on your input here over the years) should not need convincing.  Ideally, no one would. But this is far from an ideal version of America.