The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

Just tossed more on Trump not getting reelected...but some of you crazies freak me out.  STOP IT!

Do you not get it?  You can't be a freak and get people to vote your way.

I have Biden as the D nod (My god did Sanders get screwed)

I have Sanders getting the nod (No chance because so many of you are soooooooo fake)

I have Trump not winning at even money (get your friends to votes!!!)

11 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Remember when Bernie getting endorsed by Joe Rogan was a big deal?

Presidents should rely a lot on their cabinets, especially since so many of them are lawyers. They need to be good at surrounding themselves by experts and then knowing good advice when they hear it. So I think this is a silly take by Rogan. Trump is an idiot surrounded by yes men, just going on his gut, and when he actually does come into contact with experts he tends to ignore them.

I think Biden would be much better than Trump even if they were both relying solely on their own gut feelings, but I trust Biden to listen to the experts he surrounds himself with. Trump thinks he's the expert on every subject.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Presidents should rely a lot on their cabinets, especially since so many of them are lawyers. They need to be good at surrounding themselves by experts and then knowing good advice when they hear it. So I think this is a silly take by Rogan. Trump is an idiot surrounded by yes men, just going on his gut, and when he actually does come into contact with experts he tends to ignore them.

I think Biden would be much better than Trump even if they were both relying solely on their own gut feelings, but I trust Biden to listen to the experts he surrounds himself with. Trump thinks he's the expert on every subject.

100% endorse this take. I suppose one could make arguments for Trump over BIden but Rogan makes the silliest arguments. "Biden can't talk good. He'd have to rely on cabinet. No one could be prepared for the pressure of the job of president. Trump's the only one that can handle it. He doesn't age."

There's just so much ridiculous crap in there that I'm not going to address any of it. But I see two possible reasons Rogan feels this way:

1.As a rich white generally libertarian-leaning male who's employed by a Trump bestie in Dana White, Trump's presidency has actually been pretty good for him and he's sheltered from any of the fallout who hurt other Americans, so what's another four years? He can afford to be a memelord who exclusively pulls for anti-establishment types.

2. He knows his core JRE and MMA audiences are largely working-class white males who love Trump and he doesn't want to upset the apple cart.

14 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

They're called swing voters and they basically decide every election.  By definition they don't care that much about ideology.

Swing voters and supposed Independents are definitely hard to read and predict, but they're also much smaller in number than many presume. Elections are more likely determined by a party''s ability to turn out their own registered voters, and/or inspire people who don't typically vote. Large turnout usually favors Democrats, who have 20 million more registered voters. The Trump administration and GOP controlled states are doing all they can to lower voter turnout, and can target districts that are already Dem heavy.

When an election is really close — and 2016 turned on some remarkably small margins in a handful of counties in swing states — people start talking about swing voters and Jill Stein, but that's not what made the election close.

But you're probably right about ideology: a lot of people were probably fine with Hillary Clinton's centric positions, if they knew them at all. They just couldn't stand her. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

1.As a rich white generally libertarian-leaning male who's employed by a Trump bestie in Dana White, Trump's presidency has actually been pretty good for him

Rogan isn't libertarian, he's pretty left and he admits as much often. He gets painted as "alt-right adjacent" because he's willing to have controversial people on and be friends/cordial with people that society wants to make out to be boogeymen, but Rogan himself is pretty left. He also hasn't been employed by Dana White, or anybody, for years and years. 

That being said I haven't heard/seen the clip so I can't comment on it specifically.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Danny Bateman said:

Joe Rogan is pointing out what's obvious: Biden is having trouble with simple interviews and making basic talking points. I disagree with Rogan about rather voting for Trump, but this isn't an issue that's going to go away unless Biden starts having stronger interviews and debates.

There's a reason Biden doesn't want another debate. A strong candidate who's clearly winning would want the debate as another chance for publicity, to get his message out, and to take a primary victory lap.

2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Swing voters and supposed Independents are definitely hard to read and predict, but they're also much smaller in number than many presume. Elections are more likely determined by a party''s ability to turn out their own registered voters, and/or inspire people who don't typically vote. Large turnout usually favors Democrats, who have 20 million more registered voters. The Trump administration and GOP controlled states are doing all they can to lower voter turnout, and can target districts that are already Dem heavy.

Turnout helps too.  But Trump was the only successful candidate I've ever heard of who suppressed his base and replaced them with first time or very rare voters.

16 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Turnout helps too.  But Trump was the only successful candidate I've ever heard of who suppressed his base and replaced them with first time or very rare voters.

Well that's what turnout is all about. Both Trump and Clinton had a guaranteed base: the majority of Democrats and Republicans who had no place else to go. Trump had the added advantage of attracting anyone sick of the status quo and looking for change. 

Trump's most impressive feat was hanging tough and then running away with the Republican Primary. Conventional wisdom didn't see that coming.

At the end of the day 3,000,000 more Americans voted for Hillary Clinton. Not entirely sure what we learned. 

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

We tried to warn you people that Bernie does best with independents which are not able to vote in some democratic primaries. The polls showed this. It would have been a slam dunk in November but democrats wanted to listen to corporate media about how electable Biden is and now they screwed up. New poll just came out this week that shows Trump has I think it was 58% extremely excited to vote for him in November and Biden had 24% extremely excited to vote for him. People will not leave work early or stand in a long line to vote for him. The democrats made their bed in 2016 and they didnt learn and now they made their bed in 2020. Will the learn in 2024? Probably not. 

• Thanks 1

If the last four years haven't convinced you not to vote for Trump, nothing Joe Biden says will convince you.

I mean... this is all the evidence you need. If Elmer Fudd was on the ticket, I'd vote for him. And I'm as pro-Bugs Bunny as anyone.

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, knapplc said:

If the last four years haven't convinced you not to vote for Trump, nothing Joe Biden says will convince you.

I mean... this is all the evidence you need. If Elmer Fudd was on the ticket, I'd vote for him. And I'm as pro-Bugs Bunny as anyone.

Most americans dont follow politics so some people might think their life has neither improved or gotten worse under Trump so they dont feel the need to vote for Biden because their life wont improve under him either. So its the job of the candidate to convince someone who normally doesnt vote or on the fence that voting for them would improve their life. People care about themselves and their families. Someone who says they will veto healthcare for all doesnt make people think their life will improve. The people on huskerboard are a different breed because we all keep up with the times for the most part. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1