The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

Just now, Danny Bateman said:

I think some people chafed at someone taking a swipe at Lewis' civil rights credentials. I am not among them because A) I said people should be able to criticize anyone and B) it's just what I've come to expect from Bernie's surrogates.

A) I agree it's getting blown out of proportion and B) just like how I expect pearl clutching by the establishment and their supporters

3 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Dooley isn't Bernie's national press secretary. She's a surrogate.

I could go out and claim myself a Bernie or Biden or Trump surrogate, if I wanted to.

You could go out and have the Trump, Biden or Bernie campaign use you in their social media platform, and have you be promoted as a special guest at official campaign events? I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that's not true.

Look you and @BlitzFirst don't seem to be phased by this, that's great, I get it - just wanted to voice that this is a reason Bernie struggles with groups of voters, and this also seems to be a huge roadblock with black voters. 

8 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/elections-2020/biden-surrogate-forced-to-resign-from-democratic-group-over-doctored-bernie-sanders-video/ar-BB106pLK

I mean, the above is a Biden surrogate who doctored a video of Bernie Sanders in order to disparage him.  But I've come to expect that from Biden surrogates...amiright?

All kidding aside...this is what surrogates do.  They stir controversy and say things the candidates can't state themselves.

But making sweeping generalizations about all surrogates and supporters isn't logical and doesn't make it true.  I mean, the person above (Biden surrogate) did this:

https://lawandcrime.com/2020-election/biden-surrogate-forced-to-resign-from-democratic-group-due-to-doctored-bernie-sanders-video/

That doesn't make all Biden surrogates the same at all...it makes this person a rogue moron.

And they faced accountability. Weird.

• Plus1 1
30 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

It's so odd how African Americans support Biden more than Sanders...and I think it's only because of Obama.  Reason I say that is if you actually look at both mens records, Bidens is clearly worse...specifically on race:

Joe Biden didn't just compromise with segregationists. He fought for their cause in schools, experts say

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/joe-biden-didn-t-just-compromise-segregationists-he-fought-their-n1021626

Joe Biden’s Stunningly Racist Answer on the Legacy of Slavery Has Been Overlooked

https://theintercept.com/2019/09/13/joe-biden-democratic-debate-slavery/

It's mind boggling how he has the support he has.  He stated he marched in civil rights movement...he lied...while Sanders actually did and was arrested for it!  Crazy to me how people just ignore this stuff.

Bernie's strength is also a massive weakness. Bernie is loyal to his policies, it's going to be those policies or nothing. I also think that is why Bernie supporters are so loyal - they truly believe in those policies. Biden has more flex, he can appeal to moderates and he can appeal to progressives. If a politician endorses Biden, they'll have a seat at the table. Think if your are Mayor Pete, or Kamala or John Lewis or Beto, if you support Biden you will have his ear, you can still get some of your policies into place, you can make good on promises you made to your supporters. If you endorse Bernie, I think the expectation is to fall in line with Bernie's policies. A lot of these people endorsing Biden are carrying many loyal voters with them - they see Biden as a means to get their policies into place. 

I think Bernie's assumption is everyone thinks the system is broken, and needs a complete overhaul. I think a lot of people were happy during the Obama era and maybe just want to go back to that norm - maybe they see Biden as a bridge to how they felt during the Obama era. 

Not trying to say all this is correct, but maybe some valuable insight. 

• Plus1 1

50 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

It's so odd how African Americans support Biden more than Sanders...and I think it's only because of Obama.  Reason I say that is if you actually look at both mens records, Bidens is clearly worse...specifically on race:

Joe Biden didn't just compromise with segregationists. He fought for their cause in schools, experts say

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/joe-biden-didn-t-just-compromise-segregationists-he-fought-their-n1021626

Joe Biden’s Stunningly Racist Answer on the Legacy of Slavery Has Been Overlooked

https://theintercept.com/2019/09/13/joe-biden-democratic-debate-slavery/

It's mind boggling how he has the support he has.  He stated he marched in civil rights movement...he lied...while Sanders actually did and was arrested for it!  Crazy to me how people just ignore this stuff.

These two headlines talk about things that happened in the 1970s.

Don't you think there's something in the intervening 35-ish years that Biden may have done that made the first ever Black President pick him for his Veep?

1 minute ago, BlitzFirst said:

He made these fair game to talk about when he made claims during this primary about doing sit ins 35-ish years ago or more and marching for civil rights at the same time when he didn't. 

Biden is getting Obama's African American appeal even though he has done nothing to deserve it....just because he served as VP under Obama. Obama picked him for his foreign relations credentials...not his record on race.  That was Obama's perceived lack of experience. 

I think this is a reach, and I think there's a pretty good reason this didn't get any run from the press or from voters.

Just now, BlitzFirst said:

Did you miss the part where I said he was claiming them during the S. Carolina primary?  There is video in that link I gave you.

I think you're missing that nobody cares. They see Biden as the guy to beat Trump, not Sanders.  Does Biden have flaws? Of course.

But it's like playing injured in a big game - when the stakes are higher you do things you wouldn't normally do.

1 minute ago, BlitzFirst said:

I already stated that nobody cared.

But remember what you're asking people to do when you stump for them to vote for him.  You're asking them to vote for a pathological liar who has cheated his entire life, made claims of things he didn't do his entire life, and benefits from others reputation he attaches himself to.

It's a big ask when he's against the #1 issue that all voters were talking about (Medicare 4 all)

You're being asked to choose Biden over Trump.

Is that really that big of an ask?  Because everything you're hyperbolizing about Biden in that second paragraph, Trump has done more & worse.

It's baffling why you're pounding this Biden nail when Trump is by far a more logical target for someone of your expressed political beliefs. You've been on full attack-Biden mode for days now. 

26 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Biden is getting Obama's African American appeal even though he has done nothing to deserve it....just because he served as VP under Obama.

This is a slippery slope, telling people "Biden doesn't deserve your vote, Bernie does" completely undermines their decision making. Obviously Biden does very well with Black voters, and leaders. John Lewis says Biden is a good man, a man he trusts, a man he knows - his word carries a lot of weight. Jim Clyburn shared his affinity for Biden as well, and his voice carries a ton of weight. These are voices that Bernie, despite his many years in public office, has not been able to win over.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

This is a slippery slope, telling people "Biden doesn't deserve your vote, Bernie does" completely undermines their decision making. Obviously Biden does very well with Black voters, and leaders. John Lewis says Biden is a good man, a man he trusts, a man he knows - his word carries a lot of weight. Jim Clyburn shared his affinity for Biden as well, and his voice carries a ton of weight. These are voices that Bernie, despite his many years in public office, has not been able to win over.

Bernie largely hasn't even tried. Bernie is a force owned by Bernie, and Bernie alone. He's a zealot, which is what some people really like about him, but in his zealotry there's no room for compromise.

That's why voters turned away from him in 2016, and again in 2020.  Some of his ideas are really good, but he is incapable of building coalitions. Especially in a post-Trump era, we're going to need someone who can bridge a lot of divides. Bernie is not that guy. Biden is. Voters see that and that's why we're here today.

8 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

This is a slippery slope, telling people "Biden doesn't deserve your vote, Bernie does" completely undermines their decision making. 

Any more or less than saying, "You have to vote for Biden or else you're a bad person and Trump is your fault"?

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1