TGHusker

The 2020 Presidential Election - Primaries

10 minutes ago, Landlord said:

They're probably just defining the terms differently. Klobuchar won if you're looking at it in terms of who gained the most relative to their position. She won the way that P.J. Fleck would win coach of the year even if Urban Meyer is obviously a better coach who performed better.

I wouldn't call that winning the debate though. She may have gained the most ground from the debate but that is different. I get what you are saying about the coaches but a debate is more like a game than an award imo if that makes sense.

24 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I wouldn't call that winning the debate though. She may have gained the most ground from the debate but that is different. I get what you are saying about the coaches but a debate is more like a game than an award imo if that makes sense.

It's winning from a point of view. A very valuable point of view. Maybe even the one she was going for. 

Hillary Clinton was focused on 'winning' the election like one giant big game, and she kind of succeeded to the tune of winning the popular vote by several million. Trump was focused on different goals and playing a different game, he won those, and got the Presidency because of it. 

Just saying 'winning' is dependent on what game is being played and different candidates have different goals and different people evaluating have different perspectives so there isn't such thing as a contextless 'winning'.

8 minutes ago, Landlord said:

It's winning from a point of view. A very valuable point of view. Maybe even the one she was going for. 

Hillary Clinton was focused on 'winning' the election like one giant big game, and she kind of succeeded to the tune of winning the popular vote by several million. Trump was focused on different goals and playing a different game, he won those, and got the Presidency because of it. 

Just saying 'winning' is dependent on what game is being played and different candidates have different goals and different people evaluating have different perspectives so there isn't such thing as a contextless 'winning'.

I guess but when other people win more than you do how much does it really matter? 

So how do the Dems address the economy?  Elections often come down to pocketbook issues.  The economy is doing well in many respects but not for all.     But if there is no recession this year and we keep growing at 2-3% GDP, the Dems will need to put forward a solid reason to over look the economy and bring up other very important issues to bring over to their side Dems & Indeps that voted for Trump in 2016.

this article speaks of the  issue. 

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/12/20/21031416/democrats-2020-economy-dilemma-explained

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, TGHusker said:

So how do the Dems address the economy?  Elections often come down to pocketbook issues.  The economy is doing well in many respects but not for all.     But if there is no recession this year and we keep growing at 2-3% GDP, the Dems will need to put forward a solid reason to over look the economy and bring up other very important issues to bring over to their side Dems & Indeps that voted for Trump in 2016.

this article speaks of the  issue. 

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/12/20/21031416/democrats-2020-economy-dilemma-explained

Dems are riding healthcare pretty hard, which they should continue to do. Aside from that, there's not much for the average voter to get excited about

1 hour ago, NM11046 said:

Um this is an issue for me:

Don't worry, it won't be.

By the way, Yang is the best bet clearly is an outsider for some reason.

On 12/20/2019 at 7:43 AM, QMany said:

I agreed with your prior assessment, but I think this is a false equivalency. 

These trademarks had been on file since 2016 and 2017. Trump was in in the middle of tense negotiations with China at the time they were approved. Ivanka is working in the White House setting American policy but reaping personal rewards.

That is not the same as Hunter Biden. Nepotism is normal for stuff like that; I don't like it but don't consider it the same as corruption. If Ivanka wants to leave the WH and get a cushy Board job somewhere she's not qualified based on name alone (like the Trump Foundation, for example), I wouldn't give two sh*ts as long as it doesn't affect US policy decisions.

This is a fair point and a good distinction to make.

Ivanka, Kushner, et al. shouldn't really have any power in U.S. government. They're utterly unqualified and it's clear their positions are 100% nepotistic. Very few people on the world stage take them seriously as U.S. representatives unless they want to kiss Trump's a$$.

Hunter Biden is just garden variety nepotism, cashing in on his name with no leverage on U.S. policy.

• Plus1 2

24 minutes ago, Redux said:

And?

And we have admission from Trump, and now evidence to back up the admission...so it wasn't just about saying things and nothing happening...it was actually planned and orchestrated by the White House.

Pretty interesting that you continue to think nothing is being admitted and nothing is wrong.  This is our commander in chief right here...if I had done what he did in my role as a United States Air Force Sergeant, I'd have been brought up on charges and chased on out of the military.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

And we have admission from Trump, and now evidence to back up the admission...so it wasn't just about saying things and nothing happening...it was actually planned and orchestrated by the White House.

Pretty interesting that you continue to think nothing is being admitted and nothing is wrong.  This is our commander in chief right here...if I had done what he did in my role as a United States Air Force Sergeant, I'd have been brought up on charges and chased on out of the military.

But look at it this way Blitz, with this POTUS you'd also likely get pardoned and rewarded for your behavior and the fact that you wore a uniform.  

So maybe you would be a Trump supporter ...

I have decided that people who continue to support him do so because they see something of themselves in him and his actions, or they see the person they want to be in a different life.  The pretend "I support his policies" really doesn't have any substance.  We see it by his GOP surrogates who flail, lie, sputter and redirect on the Sunday shows, with the higher than normal resignation rates in the party and in his administration, in our friends and family and here on HB.  Some day the psychologists will study this time and define a new "Stockhom Syndrome" sort of diagnosis for what we're seeing today.  It's a far deeper, psychological issue than just party and supposed "policies".  It's gone far beyond that now.

• Haha 1