TGHusker

The 2020 Presidential Election - Primaries

20 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

That's my biggest problem with it.  Yes, some will cross over and vote for the best Republican they can find.  However, parties are rather strong and can influence people to have other ideas.  voter turnout for primaries tends to be lower so fewer voters have more power.  So....having a crossover voter (or a group of them) to go across only to vote for someone who will be easier to beat....well.....you have a problem with it becoming a cluster f*** like in 2016.

I believe people should vote in the primary with the candidates that most represent their views.  If I'm a liberal minded person, I should stay out of trying to screw with the Republican primary.  If I'm a conservative minded person, I should stay out of trying to screw with the Democrat primary.

Each party put up the person THEIR like minded people think they should...then everyone votes in the general election.

Crossing over to screw with the other party.....is nothing more than the old party politics crap we all act like we hate.

I'm not advocating for that to be clear and I think that is a fools errand anyway. That's what I'm saying. People can do that but they will soon find it backfires more often than not. That's why I'm not worried about it personally because I think people will realize they are better off always voting for the best choice in their opinion

Also in response to the like minded idea, that just perpetuates the 2 party system that most find doesn't represent them anyway. That's another point here. I may be more liberal minded but that doesn't mean I really  support or want to be a part of the Democratic party. 

Please take time to read this very serious tweet about this very serious topic.

• Haha 1

This Warren-Sanders thing is making Warren look bad to me, not Sanders.

If they had a private meeting between friends then she is betraying his trust by revealing that he said this, especially if they’re friends as they claim to be. I myself have stated that I was concerned that only a white male could beat Trump. That doesn’t mean I’m sexist or racist. All I care about is Trump losing the election. I would prefer him to lose to a gay Muslim half Black half Hispanic vegan woman because that would piss him and his followers off the most, but I want his opponent to be the person with the best chance of beating him.

Long story short, I see (almost) nothing wrong with Sanders sharing this concern. Maybe he shouldn’t have shared it with Warren of all people, though. I do think he did say something and she’s not just making this up.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

If they had a private meeting between friends then she is betraying his trust by revealing that he said this, especially if they’re friends as they claim to be. I myself have stated that I was concerned that only a white male could beat Trump. That doesn’t mean I’m sexist or racist. All I care about is Trump losing the election. I would prefer him to lose to a gay Muslim half Black half Hispanic vegan woman because that would piss him and his followers off the most, but I want his opponent to be the person with the best chance of beating him.

Long story short, I see (almost) nothing wrong with Sanders sharing this concern. Maybe he shouldn’t have shared it with Warren of all people, though. I do think he did say something and she’s not just making this up.

I don't think he said anything at all.  I think she's lying.  He's been saying a woman can be president since the 1980's.  Why would he say that a woman can't be president the VERY EVENING she told him she was running...especially when he only ran in 2016 because he asked her to run and she wouldn't! 

Makes zero sense that Bernie would suddenly reverse his course of 30+ years of saying a woman can be president to tell Warren she can't. 

• Plus1 1

Seems like it's pretty rapidly heading towards a Biden vs. Sanders decision, IMO. I mean, Warren and Pete are still nominally around, Yang is still out there with people who love him, Klobuchar had a good debate... but it's definitely trending like those two will be the last two standing. Especially if the two of them manage to pick up wins in IA/NH/NV before Super Tuesday.

Kind of funny, isn't it? After having the largest, most diverse field the Democratic party has ever seen, we've kind of reverted back to the same offerings of 2016.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

She stabbed her “friend” and “ally” square in the back at the time he needed her the most, when it was down to him and Biden. Pretty sure she made a deal with Biden to become his VP. But anyone that was claiming “they are the same” was dead wrong. 

35 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Seems like it's pretty rapidly heading towards a Biden vs. Sanders decision, IMO. I mean, Warren and Pete are still nominally around, Yang is still out there with people who love him, Klobuchar had a good debate... but it's definitely trending like those two will be the last two standing. Especially if the two of them manage to pick up wins in IA/NH/NV before Super Tuesday.

Kind of funny, isn't it? After having the largest, most diverse field the Democratic party has ever seen, we've kind of reverted back to the same offerings of 2016.

All about ideology. If AOC was running instead of Bernie it would be AOC vs Biden. Warren has shown she is a fauxgressive especially over the last few days and has lost all the progressive support she had. 

Warren is slipping in the polls and needed a hail mary. She lobbed this story out there to see if she could reel Bernie back in. It hasn't worked, and unless she pulls a rabbit out of her hat in Iowa & New Hampshire, she's going to end her campaign in a bit.

I'm sure Bernie isn't happy about the conversation being leaked and characterized the way it was, but I'm also sure this won't drastically affect their friendship.  My guess is Warren will endorse Bernie during her concession statement (and I think Bernie will endorse Warren if the roles are reversed).

This whole thing is a non-story.

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

I'm sure Bernie isn't happy about the conversation being leaked and characterized the way it was, but I'm also sure this won't drastically affect their friendship.  My guess is Warren will endorse Bernie during her concession statement (and I think Bernie will endorse Warren if the roles are reversed).

Assuming it is a true conversation that actually happened...otherwise, it is an outright lie by Warren.  And of course, we have no proof it did...and goes against everything Bernie has EVER said or done in his entire lengthy career.

2 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Assuming it is a true conversation that actually happened...otherwise, it is an outright lie by Warren.  And of course, we have no proof it did...and goes against everything Bernie has EVER said or done in his entire lengthy career.

It doesn't go against Bernie's long-standing contention that "a woman could be president" to say, "The voters aren't ready to elect a woman."

Both can be true, and he very well could have said that and the Warren camp is putting a characterization on it that Bernie didn't mean.

Thing is, even if he did say that... so what? It doesn't mean anything bad, and the reaction to it seems to bear that out.

Notice that the story isn't what Bernie allegedly said, because even if it's true, it's nothing. The story the press is pushing is the drama that statement caused.

• Plus1 1

16 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Warren is slipping in the polls and needed a hail mary. She lobbed this story out there to see if she could reel Bernie back in. It hasn't worked, and unless she pulls a rabbit out of her hat in Iowa & New Hampshire, she's going to end her campaign in a bit.

This whole thing is a non-story.

If lip readers are correct Bernie told her during their post debate heated exchange that they are done, so Im not sure if there is a friendship anymore. If she was a real progressive she would have went after Biden (who she hasnt gone after this entire campaign cycle) and united the left. Instead she went after her biggest “ally” and it backfired big time. 

She will endorse Biden 100% and it will be the icing on the cake to anyone who ever said Bernie and Warren “are the same”. 

1 minute ago, Frott Scost said:

If lip readers are correct Bernie told her during their post debate heated exchange that they are done, so Im not sure if there is a friendship anymore. If she was a real progressive she would have went after Biden (who she hasnt gone after this entire campaign cycle) and united the left. Instead she went after her biggest “ally” and it backfired big time. 

The whole thing sounds like high school drama.

1 minute ago, Frott Scost said:

after Biden (who she hasnt gone after this entire campaign cycle) and united the left. Instead she went after her biggest “ally” and it backfired big time.

Maybe she is playing the long ball.  1st she desires the VP spot under Biden if she can't land the top spot.  2nd  Biden serves 4 years and doesn't run again and Liz gets the mantle to be the nominee in 2024.

Just now, knapplc said:

The whole thing sounds like high school drama.

Yeah but they are running for POTUS and she tried to sabotage his campaign 3 weeks before Iowa when he was finally winning. He has every right to be pissed off.