The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

3 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Anand is taking this way out of context.  Bloomberg is explaining how it can be learned.  And yes it can.  Farming is not easy, but also not rocket science.

I agree with this and farmers have done an amazing job of convincing "us" how impossible their job really is...

1 minute ago, Decoy73 said:

He's not wrong.  It might be hard for some to hear, but it's true.

This is a tricky question.  Where do we draw the line.  There are some 95 year-olds healthier than some 70 year-olds,  Do we treat the cancer of "shut in" obese 70yo that is on oxygen tank and not the 95 year olds that are still actively volunteering in the community? 

My wife's grandfather is 93 and still drives, volunteers at the local museum, goes to church, and attends family activities.  He still maintains his own yard...

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, funhusker said:

This is a tricky question.  Where do we draw the line.  There are some 95 year-olds healthier than some 70 year-olds,  Do we treat the cancer of "shut in" obese 70yo that is on oxygen tank and not the 95 year olds that are still actively volunteering in the community? 

My wife's grandfather is 93 and still drives, volunteers at the local museum, goes to church, and attends family activities.  He still maintains his own yard...

I was thinking he's not wrong more in the sense of our current course bankrupting us.  As far as his analogy of the 95 year old, it's a tough one.  No two situations will be alike.  Will $20,000 of prostate CA therapy cure him?  No.  Will it prolong his life?  Possibly.  But where is his hypothetical family in this situation?  Are they financially sound enough to pay for gramps care?  Why should they not have some responsibility here?  If they have little money, there are programs with drug companies that can help with providing low or no cost drugs.  My point is why should Medicare, and thus taxpayers, keep throwing high cost dollars at someone, with no chance at a real cure, until the day they croak?  I don't have all the answers, but I know we just can't sustain that.

6 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

What the hell part of my reply are you talking about? It’s much more disgusting when a communist country is better at something than the U.S. is because that shouldn’t happen and it should change.

i certainly didn't mean to get you fired up...

I was referring to: 

""Has it ever been wrong to point out Cuba's healthcare system is better than ours when it is? In my opinion it's more meaningful to point out when an inferior or poorer country is better at something important than we are. He's talking about transportation systems and the arts, not way of life in general. There isn't anything in his above comments that needs to be defended. I've been to places run by dictators that had some nice things about them, including things they're better at than the U.S. That doesn't mean I want the U.S. to be a dictatorship.""

while someone's stats or studies may show that Cuba has a great healthcare system (though that link wasn't provided)...I invite you to please come speak to one of the 1000's of Cuban refugee folks that have relocated to Grand Island and ask them what they think of Cuba's "system" or to the Cuban physicians who fled Cuba because of the way their "system" compensates them. 

Also, check out this link  https://myvessyl.com/top-10-countries-with-the-best-doctors-in-the-world/

12 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

i certainly didn't mean to get you fired up...

I was referring to: 

""Has it ever been wrong to point out Cuba's healthcare system is better than ours when it is? In my opinion it's more meaningful to point out when an inferior or poorer country is better at something important than we are. He's talking about transportation systems and the arts, not way of life in general. There isn't anything in his above comments that needs to be defended. I've been to places run by dictators that had some nice things about them, including things they're better at than the U.S. That doesn't mean I want the U.S. to be a dictatorship.""

while someone's stats or studies may show that Cuba has a great healthcare system (though that link wasn't provided)...I invite you to please come speak to one of the 1000's of Cuban refugee folks that have relocated to Grand Island and ask them what they think of Cuba's "system" or to the Cuban physicians who fled Cuba because of the way their "system" compensates them. 

Also, check out this link  https://myvessyl.com/top-10-countries-with-the-best-doctors-in-the-world/

The reply was pretty crappy since I had no clue what you were talking about. 

It’s well known we have great doctors in the U.S.  I don’t need to see a link for that. There is also care you can get here that you can’t get anywhere else. Unfortunately there are a s#!t ton of people who can’t afford it. Saying health care is better one place than another doesn’t mean the lesser isn’t better at some things. I haven’t looked at stats in a long time. Cuba might have worse healthcare now (I don’t know) and I’m sure there have always been negatives about it. But the most important things to be compared are outcomes and sustainability.

2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

The reply was pretty crappy since I had no clue what you were talking about. 

It’s well known we have great doctors in the U.S.  I don’t need to see a link for that. There is also care you can get here that you can’t get anywhere else. Unfortunately there are a s#!t ton of people who can’t afford it. Saying health care is better one place than another doesn’t mean the lesser isn’t better at some things. I haven’t looked at stats in a long time. Cuba might have worse healthcare now (I don’t know) and I’m sure there have always been negatives about it. But the most important things to be compared are outcomes and sustainability.

Thanks Moiraine...I certainly agree with you that the system is MESSED up here in the US regarding costs and profit margins...and something must be done to rectify it here at home.

I just wanted to point out that free doesn't always mean better. :cheers

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, DevoHusker said:

who currently runs/administers medicare/medicaid?

Single payor (public financing of private hospitals/doctors offices) is different than govt run healthcare for example NHS/VA (public financing of public hospitals/doctors office). 

Medicare/medicaid pay the bill. They dont tell you where you can go or what treatment you can get. The business decides if they accept these insurance policies or not. 

49 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

The government, but neither of those run/administer healthcare. That's government run health insurance, which is a really big difference.

I truly don't think I understand the nuances Red...

I was alluding to the fact that the "Medicare for All" plan is one of the mainstays of Bernie's platform, and from what I understand he means to extend Medicare coverages to EVERYONE. If Medicare/Medicaid is currently administered by the Federal Government, then how would Medicare for All be any different?

My comment earlier was because you posted that "literally no one is calling for Govt run healthcare", so is this just another shade of grey?

• Plus1 1
47 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

Single payor (public financing of private hospitals/doctors offices) is different than govt run healthcare for example NHS/VA (public financing of public hospitals/doctors office). 

Medicare/medicaid pay the bill. They dont tell you where you can go or what treatment you can get. The business decides if they accept these insurance policies or not. 

just a point of contention Frott...I cannot access VA hospitals or Dr offices because I am not a vet. 

And, if all the businesses (medical facilities) in my geographic area choose NOT to accept the single payer policies set by the Government, where does that leave me?

• Fire 1
43 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I truly don't think I understand the nuances Red...

I was alluding to the fact that the "Medicare for All" plan is one of the mainstays of Bernie's platform, and from what I understand he means to extend Medicare coverages to EVERYONE. If Medicare/Medicaid is currently administered by the Federal Government, then how would Medicare for All be any different?

My comment earlier was because you posted that "literally no one is calling for Govt run healthcare", so is this just another shade of grey?

It's not a shade of grey, but a really big difference. M4A is NOT govt run healthcare, so the hospitals, clinics, doctors, nurses, etc wouldn't be government employees but would still be in the private sector. M4A is the govt running/replacing health insurance companies, that would be the people that fight you for every penny and reject or accept your claims and force you in/out of network.

40 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

just a point of contention Frott...I cannot access VA hospitals or Dr offices because I am not a vet. 

And, if all the businesses (medical facilities) in my geographic area choose NOT to accept the single payer policies set by the Government, where does that leave me?

I'm not Frott, but there are a number of possible solutions. First is that Bernie's M4A bill doesn't allow duplicate coverage to prevent fraud, so no insurance would be available for anything that M4A already covers. Which means that anyone not accepting M4A would only be able to be paid directly by the patient which is only really an option for the rich, so it's extremely unlikely that no one around you would take M4A. Second Bernie has talked about (but I haven't seen a specific bill for) the govt building hospitals in areas that have inadequate coverage. Since there's no bill, it's unclear if the hospital would be govt run, the govt would lease out the facilities, or something else.

49 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Not sure what youre asking in the first point. Just pointing out that medicare/medicaid which is insurance is different than VA which is govt run healthcare. 

If your doctors office chose to not accept MFA they would probably go out of business because there are not enough patients willing to pay out of pocket for healthcare in this country. Unless it was super cheap in which case you can choose to pay out of pocket or use your MFA insurance at a different doctors office. Just an fyi, about 50% of doctors want MFA and more every year as the second largest physicians group just endorsed it couple weeks back.